R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-19-2014, 03:23 AM   #91
Tech Elite

Aluminium chassies are cheaper for companies to manufacture and easier to tweak to satisfy various requirements than CF. CF itself is probably best, but then again there's so many grades of CF, weaves and so on, it makes life too complicated. Plus more expensive to machine, more expensive to manage the waste, and so on. I see absolutely no advantage to the aluminium chassis if appropriate CF grade is used to allow a direct comparison to equivalent Aluminium.

And to be even more picky (or anal) you can go back to the first cars in the seventies which had aluminium chassis plates simply because that was the most available and cheapest to use. Then we moved into GF, and in the nineties into CF. Aluminium is a step back whichever way you look at it. Heck, let's see some Titanium chassies if we really want progress, or Titanium weave CF like the latest supercars if we're here (Zonda, anyone?).

The best upgrade to any car is some driver skill.
niznai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 04:38 AM   #92
Dan
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Many forget that it wasn't long ago (6-8 years ago), it was not unusual for a company to release two versions of their touring car. A rubber version and a foam version (usually for extremely high grip carpet.)

The biggest difference between the two versions was largely in the chassis. The carpet version would have a thicker, stiffer chassis or more chassis braces, etc.

Niznai is right about how there are so many ways a CF chassis would be constructed these days. My TRF418 chassis is significantly more stiffer than my X-ray T4 '13 chassis, despite being the same thickness.

I can see this recent aluminum chassis trend as being more of a marketing trend for companies to introduce something that seems like a new idea, but really isn't. The aluminum is cheaper, but they are charging as much as they would for a more costlier CF chassis, increasing profit.
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 05:04 AM   #93
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Questions?? carbon fibre chassis?

hi guys, some body stop me if i am on the wrong track here but i think we are missing something, why are we even discussing carbon fibre when the chassis is made out of graphite?!?. please correct me if i am wrong here but Xray clearly states that the chassis is made out of graphite not carbon fibre. I am not trying to be difficult here but i am a little confused by the last couple of posts, if someone can clear this up that would be great.
cheers
oldenuff
oldenuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 05:59 AM   #94
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldenuff View Post
hi guys, some body stop me if i am on the wrong track here but i think we are missing something, why are we even discussing carbon fibre when the chassis is made out of graphite?!?. please correct me if i am wrong here but Xray clearly states that the chassis is made out of graphite not carbon fibre. I am not trying to be difficult here but i am a little confused by the last couple of posts, if someone can clear this up that would be great.
cheers
oldenuff
Sometimes, the terms graphite and carbon fibre are used interchangeably by some, but they are not exactly the same. graphite is softer than carbon fibre for one
TB03Racer09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 06:06 AM   #95
Tech Master

The issue with alloy chassis, one crash and it is a paper weight.
frozenpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 06:14 AM   #96
Tech Regular

hi guys, i personally think the chassis is one point that should not be changed at all, the graphite chassis in my opinion has proven to be extremely strong and obviously lightweight and flexible, i have had and seen hits where i thought this must be game over only to see no damage, this is why i race Xray , durable and lightweight, please Xray keep this the part same.
cheers
oldenuff

p.s judging from my experience i would prefer graphite over cf, but this is only my opinion
Old 07-19-2014, 07:25 AM   #97
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozenpod View Post
The issue with alloy chassis, one crash and it is a paper weight.
At least it can be recycled along with the beer cans. I'm fine with the composite chassis and find it hard to believe that Aluminum provides more options than what is available with composites.

"It' NEW, It's NEW". No, it really isn't.
Chaz955i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 08:28 AM   #98
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

The aluminum chassis just drives differently. It resonates different meaning it has a different flex characteristics. Not saying it can't be duplicated by c.f. But no companies are offering extremely stiff c.f. chassis at the moment. It's generally the stock one and an aluminum one. I've crashed my aluminum chassis car a few times not super hard hits but enough. It's still flat, however it is a possibility not as bad a tsr 4x4 they are e abusive on chassis.
thecaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 10:42 AM   #99
Tech Adept

LOL.....so in all the talk about the differences between CF, Graphite and Aluminum chassis.....there hasn't been too many replies to the original post....( please read it again ). Don't get me wrong I love how the post has started this great discussion that has made me do some reading at my local library about the difference between CF and Graphite....interesting info I may add! But I have pre ordered my T4'15 and I think it would be fun if we could look back at this post when the car is released to see " who call it!".... Please keep the discussing going as all or you information helps everyone with there knowledge about rc.....but please add to your post the things you would like to see in the new chassis and what you think Xray will actually do. Thanks guys and keep it going
Old 07-20-2014, 04:55 AM   #100
Tech Regular

Default t4 15

hi guys, after reading shaun b22's last comments i took the time to read the whole thread over again. the majority of people want the upgraded parts included, now Xray must be reading this thread so we will see what happens here, another point raised a few times is the whole pinion/ spur arrangement, we want it more user friendly. ARS is unlikely so we will probably get much of the same, which probably isn't a bad thing. The whole post is about what we want to see from the T4 15 and it is pretty clear people want better value,
sorry if this thread has not gone the way of technical discussion and little changes here and there but it is clear what we want,... a luxury car!
we dont want a weak tamiya or anything else, we are all Xray team members, probably the most loyal r/c fans out there, because when we buy our new kits we aren't just buying another kit we are buying an XRAY and we expect the best, this is why we have had such passionate responses, we really care about the direction our cars are headed and most of us will buy the kit regardless and not even consider other options, myself well unless it is a major change i will not be parting with my hard earned,..we will see soon as all will be revealed in the next 2 to 3 months.
cheers
oldenuff
Old 07-20-2014, 05:47 AM   #101
Tech Master

Apart from better value I agree with none of your last post.
frozenpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 05:48 AM   #102
Tech Elite

Only thin I'd like them to include is the carbon bumper brace to help protect the chassis in a front crash.

I'm not fussed about DCJ's, if they added them to the kit then repairs are going to start getting expensive as Xray's ECS are just too expensive (I run RSD's).
I have also come to prefer the plastic spool out drives as I'd rather they broke than the force of the impact bending a driveshaft.

When I first built the kit I set it up as per their downloadable carpet setup sheet and the car was great, just a little loose which one shim change cured.
I only stopped using the kit driveshafts at the front when I managed to bend one of them.

I'm not really fussed about easier spur changes etc, I only want them to change things that will make the car faster. If a side effect is that something can be changed more easily without perfecting performance then so be it.

Skiddins
wlrc.co.uk (West London Racing Centre)
RD Disco
Skiddins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 07:13 AM   #103
Tech Regular

Xray buyers are more brand loyal then most others,
if you don't agree with this then why are you reading a thread on a future Xray?
we do care about whats next hence these pages, i am not sure how this can be argued against. but we are all entitled to our opinion.
cheers
oldenuff
Old 07-20-2014, 07:49 PM   #104
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (93%+)
Send a message via AIM to xrayaustin

I do hope all you guys hoping to see cosmetic changes and "added value" to the car, do realize the new car is being entirely redesigned. The xray car clearly isn't right and they have going backwards. I expect to see new motor mounts and layshaft assembly at the least. Probably like the yokomo. I am a big xray fan. Just being a realist. Xray has a lot more to worry about then "added value". They need added speed

2010 cleveland indoor champs and 2011 snowbird nationals 17.5 stock A main winner
xrayaustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 08:27 PM   #105
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrayaustin View Post
I do hope all you guys hoping to see cosmetic changes and "added value" to the car, do realize the new car is being entirely redesigned. The xray car clearly isn't right and they have going backwards. I expect to see new motor mounts and layshaft assembly at the least. Probably like the yokomo. I am a big xray fan. Just being a realist. Xray has a lot more to worry about then "added value". They need added speed
Not saying that your wrong, but who are you comparing this to? Xray i thought was either one the most winning chassis for this year or the 2nd most winning chassis. The most winning would be Yokomo if not xray and thats due to volkers amazing talents.
thecaptain is offline   Reply With Quote