R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree1Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-14-2015, 02:20 AM   #991
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 264
Default

Stupid question; Just building my T4 and noticed the manual does not show how to mount the composite ball joints. They have a shiny side and a normal side. Should the shiny side point to the ball end side or the other way around? I just want to be 100% sure, because I know this detail is important.

And I saw something strange when building the shocks; top end cap the shiny parts points towards the ball end. But the ball joints on the bottom of the shock should be installed with the shiny side the other way around. That seems strange to me. Is this right?
__________________
www.rcpit.nl , RC dealer

www.machheemstede.nl
..................................Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-Gkh2xZcQU
Modified 4 life
Govert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 02:49 AM   #992
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 264
Default

...double post
__________________
www.rcpit.nl , RC dealer

www.machheemstede.nl
..................................Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-Gkh2xZcQU
Modified 4 life
Govert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 04:37 AM   #993
Tech Master
 
Essnowyt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Somewhere Strange Wisconsin!
Posts: 1,659
Send a message via AIM to Essnowyt
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Govert View Post
Stupid question; Just building my T4 and noticed the manual does not show how to mount the composite ball joints. They have a shiny side and a normal side. Should the shiny side point to the ball end side or the other way around? I just want to be 100% sure, because I know this detail is important.

And I saw something strange when building the shocks; top end cap the shiny parts points towards the ball end. But the ball joints on the bottom of the shock should be installed with the shiny side the other way around. That seems strange to me. Is this right?
Both are correct. The ball joints for the links are interchangeable for their direction, shinny vs. dull. However the shock parts you should follow the manual.

Snowy.
__________________
Team XRay, RCAmerica, Motiv, Gravity RC, Schacht Design Works.

Drive it, Dont slide it!
Essnowyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 04:51 AM   #994
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 264
Default

Thank you Snowy. For the sake of clean looks I will install the ball joints for the links with the shiny side towards the ball end.

Thanks again for clearifying.
__________________
www.rcpit.nl , RC dealer

www.machheemstede.nl
..................................Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-Gkh2xZcQU
Modified 4 life
Govert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 05:36 PM   #995
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Eagle Rock, VA
Posts: 269
Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Default

I've been out of carpet (and onroad) racing for quite a while.

I just picked up my new Xray and I have been looking through setup sheets for tires that I need.

Most of the setups though don't specify anything other than tire brand.

What tires, both rubber and foam, are being used these days?

Thanks.
Slippery Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 08:19 PM   #996
Tech Master
 
Danny-b23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Saskatoon, SK, Canada
Posts: 1,316
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slippery Dan View Post
I've been out of carpet (and onroad) racing for quite a while.

I just picked up my new Xray and I have been looking through setup sheets for tires that I need.

Most of the setups though don't specify anything other than tire brand.

What tires, both rubber and foam, are being used these days?

Thanks.
Best choice is usually what the other guys in your club run.

If it isn't one tire across most people, Sorex 28s on carpet are pretty hard to beat.
__________________
RC America|XRAY|ORCA|Motiv|EA Motorsports
Danny Buck
WCICS Rep - Round 1, Saskatoon, SK
Danny-b23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 11:36 PM   #997
Tech Fanatic
 
Salkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 882
Default

Ride makes some good sets also.

We also use Sorex 28 indoor mostly, but have tried both LRP and Ride tires and have found that the Sorex pre glued tires more easily breaks the rims than the LRP and Ride pre glued sets I have tried.

Less of an issue if you do not run on a narrow track with hard sides/curbs.
__________________
Yokomo BD7 2016 Black Series - MuchMore Fleta Pro / MuchMore ZX - Highest DLP650 - Sanwa M12
Salkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 08:00 AM   #998
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Eagle Rock, VA
Posts: 269
Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Default

Thanks!

What about foam tires? Are those just not used as much now?
Slippery Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 08:16 AM   #999
Tech Master
 
locked's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,758
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slippery Dan View Post
Thanks!

What about foam tires? Are those just not used as much now?
You might find an obscure club or two that still run a foam tire sedan class, but they are virtually extinct, everywhere.
__________________
Dave Locke
Team PerformanceHobbies.ca | ORCA RC | Bodies by Brandon | Team Meeting
XRAY T4'15 x2 | XRAY XB4 | XRAY XB8E | XRAY XB8
locked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 08:16 AM   #1000
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 3,508
Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slippery Dan View Post
Thanks!

What about foam tires? Are those just not used as much now?
nobody races foam sedan anymore.
__________________
Team I'm Over It
racenut123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 08:30 AM   #1001
Tech Master
 
patorz31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Edmonton Ab
Posts: 1,390
Default

I am ordering a bunch of stuff to build my ultimate tire. Sorex 28's unmounted, The Sweep Nylon Rim that seems indestructible and an now just trying to find the JB black inserts. I f I can't find any I will just cut them out of some old tires.
__________________
Northern Alberta Scale Car Auto Racers Pres. and Promotions
TEAM POWERS, RACE-OPT, SCHUMACHER RACING,R-Factor, Bezerk RC
patorz31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 09:16 AM   #1002
Tech Master
 
locked's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,758
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by patorz31 View Post
I am ordering a bunch of stuff to build my ultimate tire. Sorex 28's unmounted, The Sweep Nylon Rim that seems indestructible and an now just trying to find the JB black inserts. I f I can't find any I will just cut them out of some old tires.
I love that combo! JB are the blue inserts though. The Sweep lightweight blue inserts (EXP-LS) look to be identical to the Schumacher inserts they use in JB sets. They work great.

So far I haven't found the identical insert to the Schumacher RK (black) ones. I have cut some out of old Schumacher sets to reuse. The sweep black inserts weigh a lot more.
__________________
Dave Locke
Team PerformanceHobbies.ca | ORCA RC | Bodies by Brandon | Team Meeting
XRAY T4'15 x2 | XRAY XB4 | XRAY XB8E | XRAY XB8
locked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 11:06 AM   #1003
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Eagle Rock, VA
Posts: 269
Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by locked View Post
You might find an obscure club or two that still run a foam tire sedan class, but they are virtually extinct, everywhere.
Quote:
nobody races foam sedan anymore.
Fine with me!

I think I still have some of that stuff in my lungs from 10 years ago!
Slippery Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 08:08 PM   #1004
Tech Master
 
rcfiend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Irvine, CA.
Posts: 1,330
Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)
Default

Just finished my build, which ECS does everyone run, 50 or 52? What is the benefit vs stock cvd's?
rcfiend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 08:35 PM   #1005
Tech Elite
 
artwork's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Thornton, CO
Posts: 3,087
Trader Rating: 59 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcfiend View Post
Just finished my build, which ECS does everyone run, 50 or 52? What is the benefit vs stock cvd's?
52s are the most common in the front. ECS improves Corning and makes the cars arch through the corner much smoother.
__________________
Sanwa | R1 Wurks | Avid | 2mm Designs
artwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 10:17 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net