R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-15-2014, 11:10 PM   #76
Tech Elite

I have a long record of practice in this kind of testing, and only ever managed to break a tie rod end and that was the kit Tamiya aluminium one form the TA05R. That is when I discovered how soft the material was.

Bent a lot of hinge pins on the same car, front and rear. Which again testifies where Tamiya considered appropriate to set the failure point. Problem is, it fails too easily even when using their Titanium coated shafts. I replaced the hinge pins on the car with tool steel pins I made at home and no breakage since.

The best upgrade to any car is some driver skill.
niznai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 08:09 AM   #77
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to EAMotorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by grippgoat View Post
Actually, Awesomatix started the current aluminum chassis trend.

-Mike
Actually X-ray had it on carpet with foam tires before awesomatix was ever a thought. But recently shaftie has brought the idea back to the top.
EAMotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 08:24 AM   #78
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Didn't Associated use a gold one back in the late 80's????

What was once used because it was too expensive for anything else to be used, went by the wayside with new materials and manufacturing processes. Now aluminum is hot again b/c it offers different characteristics and can be made stronger and cheaper than in years past.

For those of us that have been in this hobby since the 80's, it is relatively less expensive now than it was then. Even with $500+ kits. Kits are about the same dollar amount, motors about the same, batts way cheaper, electronics the same or cheaper. All with durabilty and longetivity of parts going way up. So given inflation and generally better incomes than 25 years ago...

But I still agree that it does seem shady to offer race level kits that need an additional $150 or more to run what is considered "standard" by most racers and the factory driver. X-ray isnt the only company that does this (TLR, Tamiya, Kyosho)
SMC - Motiv motors - Savox - Spectrum - Exotek.
The brighter the picture, the darker the negative. USVTA member #112
theproffesor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 08:44 AM   #79
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by theproffesor View Post
Didn't Associated use a gold one back in the late 80's????

What was once used because it was too expensive for anything else to be used, went by the wayside with new materials and manufacturing processes. Now aluminum is hot again b/c it offers different characteristics and can be made stronger and cheaper than in years past.

For those of us that have been in this hobby since the 80's, it is relatively less expensive now than it was then. Even with $500+ kits. Kits are about the same dollar amount, motors about the same, batts way cheaper, electronics the same or cheaper. All with durabilty and longetivity of parts going way up. So given inflation and generally better incomes than 25 years ago...

But I still agree that it does seem shady to offer race level kits that need an additional $150 or more to run what is considered "standard" by most racers and the factory driver. X-ray isnt the only company that does this (TLR, Tamiya, Kyosho)
TRF418 has all the hardware needed in the box (Including DCJ’s). Any other hop ups are just bling.

TRF419, TBEvo6, TT02, VDF, TRF501x, TRF201, TRF101, Mi5, X-Ray T4-13, BD7 2014, A700 Evo, WR-02G
Qatmix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 12:03 PM   #80
Tech Addict

Included Graphite suspension arms!
Geberit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 07:41 PM   #81
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EAMotorsports View Post
Actually X-ray had it on carpet with foam tires before awesomatix was ever a thought. But recently shaftie has brought the idea back to the top.
That's why I said "the current aluminum chassis trend". I've only been into RC since late 2009, which is not long enough to have seen an old trend of aluminum chassis in TCs, but long enough to know that there probably was one.

-Mike
grippgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 02:47 AM   #82
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geberit View Post
Included Graphite suspension arms!
Too twitchy on some carpet tracks.
They're fine if you have high grip
wlrc.co.uk (West London Racing Centre)
RD Disco
Skiddins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 08:17 AM   #83
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skiddins View Post
Too twitchy on some carpet tracks.
They're fine if you have high grip
The Team drivers use them all the time. Doesn't matter what kind of surface or gripp.

Example Hagberl low grip asphalt: http://www.petitrc.com/reglages/xray...as20140629.pdf

Example Martini low grip carpet: http://www.petitrc.com/reglages/xray...ze20121203.pdf

Look at the different team set-up's .... ''99%'' independent of the gripp an surface graphite arms are used.
Old 07-17-2014, 09:48 AM   #84
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geberit View Post
The Team drivers use them all the time. Doesn't matter what kind of surface or gripp.

Example Hagberl low grip asphalt: http://www.petitrc.com/reglages/xray...as20140629.pdf

Example Martini low grip carpet: http://www.petitrc.com/reglages/xray...ze20121203.pdf

Look at the different team set-up's .... ''99%'' independent of the gripp an surface graphite arms are used.
I know they do.
But to the average joe like me, I've gone quicker and had an eaiser to drive car with standard wishbones (or when I've removed the carbon plates)
wlrc.co.uk (West London Racing Centre)
RD Disco
Skiddins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 09:52 AM   #85
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skiddins View Post
I know they do.
But to the average joe like me, I've gone quicker and had an eaiser to drive car with standard wishbones (or when I've removed the carbon plates)
Apparently you never got the memo that says if a team driver does something you should do the exact same thing without question because if it works for them it must work for you.
Chaz955i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 01:57 PM   #86
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaz955i View Post
Apparently you never got the memo that says if a team driver does something you should do the exact same thing without question because if it works for them it must work for you.
This sentence may sound smart but I saw people with 10+ years of experience trying on their own and faild to set-up a car properly. Then they went to Martin H. and copied the set-up (complete car) and look suddenly the results were much better and smile on their face was back. I visited many ETS races and a lot of the regular guys go to the team drivers to get some good info including me
Old 07-17-2014, 02:12 PM   #87
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

This is true but dont always believe whats posted online vs what they (the pros) tell you to do at the track... sometimes numbers get ...... fuzzy the day or week after a big race ;-)
jlfx car audio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 03:29 PM   #88
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlfx car audio View Post
This is true but dont always believe whats posted online vs what they (the pros) tell you to do at the track... sometimes numbers get ...... fuzzy the day or week after a big race ;-)
+1
Old 07-18-2014, 12:41 AM   #89
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlfx car audio View Post
Yes you ar absolutely right. It could be marketing so we all spend our money on graphite arms i'm aware of that.
Old 07-18-2014, 06:20 PM   #90
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

i cannot believe i missed this thread. this is one of my favorites year over year..
FJ / ROAR #2-122945 / Shop@ Awesomatix USA / Wild Turbo Fan / Mon-Tech Racing / RocheRC USA / Side Piece /
LRP / John's BSR Tires / TeamEAM / TQ Wire / R1 / Team Scream / PCR / MIX
RacerLog wiki Awesomatix A700 / 2wd offroad 4 life
hanulec is offline   Reply With Quote