R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-18-2014, 01:45 AM   #676
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpidarX View Post
I'm late to the party, why is everyone wanting to use tamiya dcjs?
The first two upgrades I made were to replace the plastic spool cups and add ECS's/DCJ's. For the price of one lonely XRAY ECS driveshaft, you can get a pair of Tamiya DCJs.

The XRAY ECS's have had a few weaknesses over the years particularly when running mod. At first the 1.5mm pins broke. Then when they upgraded them to 2.0mm pins, then some casings started breaking. Personally, I have never seen or heard any issues with the Tamiya DCJ's.

The Smokem spool cups are also cheaper than the XRAY items. They don't need blades (that get ripped up pretty quickly in a spool) and are long lasting.

So basically you get a smooth, bullet-proof front drive assembly for a fraction of the price. What's there not to like?
Old 11-18-2014, 07:37 AM   #677
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by veecee View Post
The first two upgrades I made were to replace the plastic spool cups and add ECS's/DCJ's. For the price of one lonely XRAY ECS driveshaft, you can get a pair of Tamiya DCJs.

The XRAY ECS's have had a few weaknesses over the years particularly when running mod. At first the 1.5mm pins broke. Then when they upgraded them to 2.0mm pins, then some casings started breaking. Personally, I have never seen or heard any issues with the Tamiya DCJ's.

The Smokem spool cups are also cheaper than the XRAY items. They don't need blades (that get ripped up pretty quickly in a spool) and are long lasting.

So basically you get a smooth, bullet-proof front drive assembly for a fraction of the price. What's there not to like?
Thanks for the heads up.
SpidarX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 08:43 AM   #678
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by veecee View Post

I think the main advantage is interchangeability with other manufacturers' parts (you can use Yokomo, Corally or Schumacher diffs and I bet Associated too) plus you have a selection of three different dogbone lengths to choose from.

Yokomo have similar DCJ offerings but to my knowledge only one length available (I think it's equivalent to the Tamiya 44mm dogbone from memory).

The best upgrade to any car is some driver skill.
niznai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 05:24 PM   #679
Tech Initiate

good
how heavy the car with ars?
my car 1422 kg
a greeting
txili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 05:25 PM   #680
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by txili View Post
good
how heavy the car with ars?
my car 1422 kg
a greeting
That depends on the electronics and battery you choose to run.

"If you ain't first, you're last!"
- Ricky Bobby
metalnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 05:42 PM   #681
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalnut View Post
That depends on the electronics and battery you choose to run.
toro ts 120 ares 4,5t
ip 6000
txili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 01:57 PM   #682
Tech Addict

i didnt use the ars so mine is still in the sealed bag,just weighed the bag and got 47gms
you can lose about 3 gms from that with flashing and the bag,might be of use to someone
Old 11-22-2014, 02:16 PM   #683
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)

One note on the smokem cups, install your bearing on the diff before building it. The OD of the outdrives is about 10.5mm so will not fit in the 10mm bearing hole.

Edit - Actually scratch that. It will not work at all. You either need to use a 5x10x3 bearing or wait for them to fix this issue. The stock bearing does not sit flush with the face on the diff, there is about a .5mm difference. So the gear pin in the shaft does not go in.

Last edited by PROMODVETTE; 11-22-2014 at 02:30 PM.
PROMODVETTE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 04:54 PM   #684
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PROMODVETTE View Post
One note on the smokem cups, install your bearing on the diff before building it. The OD of the outdrives is about 10.5mm so will not fit in the 10mm bearing hole.

Edit - Actually scratch that. It will not work at all. You either need to use a 5x10x3 bearing or wait for them to fix this issue. The stock bearing does not sit flush with the face on the diff, there is about a .5mm difference. So the gear pin in the shaft does not go in.
Doh! Hopefully they resolve it quickly and replace all the ones sent out.

A 5x10x3 on both sides would probably let the whole diff move around a lot. I doubt it would work.

-Mike
grippgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 11:23 AM   #685
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PROMODVETTE View Post

I was just coming here to say the exact same thing. The outdrive doesn't clear the bearing opening so you have to put them on before assembly, and they can't sit all the way inside the gear diff because the bearing doesn't let them sit flush. Only way to use them is to remove the shims from the gear diff. I've got two sets that really aren't usable because of it.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 11:24 AM   #686
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

You also have to put the screws in before the bearing and then try to tighten them down with the plastic cam in the way.
syndr0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 01:19 PM   #687
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by syndr0me View Post
You also have to put the screws in before the bearing and then try to tighten them down with the plastic cam in the way.
Well, damn. I haven't even opened my set, but this is disappointing.

- Ricky Bobby

Last edited by metalnut; 11-23-2014 at 09:58 PM.
Old 11-23-2014, 09:58 PM   #688
Tech Elite

Smokem Racing just e-mailed me and offered a full refund for the cups. That is the kind of response the rest of the industry can learn from. Very well handled, and I hope they can fix the fitment issues and come up with a Version 2 of the cups.

- Ricky Bobby
Old 11-24-2014, 06:42 AM   #689
Tech Elite

And guys, when you get bored with all that screwing around, use the refund to get some Tamiya TB04 aluminium otdrives which you need to re-drill and cut. Easy and can be done with home tools. The shorter TB04 outdrive can be drilled in the Tamiya hole (will need one .5 extra shim), the other one needs a new hole. Or get two sets of outdrives and use the short one from both sets. Job done, plus you get a really good quality outdrive!

The best upgrade to any car is some driver skill.
niznai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 09:14 AM   #690
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by niznai View Post
And guys, when you get bored with all that screwing around, use the refund to get some Tamiya TB04 aluminium otdrives which you need to re-drill and cut. Easy and can be done with home tools. The shorter TB04 outdrive can be drilled in the Tamiya hole (will need one .5 extra shim), the other one needs a new hole. Or get two sets of outdrives and use the short one from both sets. Job done, plus you get a really good quality outdrive!
You call buying Smokem Racing products "screwing around" and describe drilling and cutting Tamiya ones as the holy grail? Uhm... no thanks

- Ricky Bobby