Search
Like Tree4Likes

Xray t4'15

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2014, 07:12 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Originally Posted by grippgoat
Yeah, I didn't mean spares or taking shocks apart. Just trying your old shocks if you're not running the car.

-Mike
Oh, yeah, I can bring that. It's "in pieces" until I get my RSD chassis and the suspension blocks.
Old 11-08-2014, 09:39 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I'll be getting the new T4 '15 in the near future. This will be my first X-ray car. What spares or options (e.g., spring sets, etc) should I consider along with the new car?
Old 11-08-2014, 10:27 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by SpidarX
I'll be getting the new T4 '15 in the near future. This will be my first X-ray car. What spares or options (e.g., spring sets, etc) should I consider along with the new car?
The car comes with 2.5 springs front and back. If you have the cash, buying the full set of springs isn't a bad idea, but you have to buy them two at a time. I would honestly see how the 2.5 all around feels before you spend money.

If you like spools then you'll be golden, but if you like front gear diffs prepare to spend some cash for one (I think it's like $60).

You'll probably also want some DCJs up front, there are a number of options. The Xray ones are expensive as hell ($50 for one... yes, just one) and you have to make sure you use high quality loctite or they fall apart. RSD DCJs are very nice and much more economical (and use rings instead of set screws, yey!), as are "Version 2" of the Spec-R (see discussion on the previous pages).

That's basically it. The car is solid. Any other options will depend on what class you want to run and on what track surface.
Old 11-09-2014, 01:43 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I'd start with just DCJs, and maybe the top deck post if you're on carpet. I wouldn't splurge on springs right away.

-Mike
Old 11-09-2014, 06:09 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by SpidarX
I don't think you're going to need anything provided you can drive.

Drive it first and the car will tell you what you need.

Spurs and pinions are a must have, but I assume you might have some of these if you've had cars before. If not, just ask about at your club what sort of gearing you need and figure out the range of pinions/spurs you might want.

If you're thinking of ordering on the web and want to have everything in one order, again, take a trip to your local track and ask around.

Asking here you might end up buying stuff you'll never need.
Old 11-09-2014, 11:55 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Thanks for the replies, they were helpful.
Old 11-09-2014, 11:34 PM
Tech Initiate

Hi everyone. Sorry for the long wait on the Gear Diff Cups for the Tamiya DCJ's. Production has just been completed and they are undergoing final inspection. They will be up on our website in the next few days.
Old 11-09-2014, 11:45 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Smokem Racing
Hi everyone. Sorry for the long wait on the Gear Diff Cups for the Tamiya DCJ's. Production has just been completed and they are undergoing final inspection. They will be up on our website in the next few days.
Awesome It's good to have options.
Old 11-12-2014, 04:42 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Troy Carter
I've had a couple sets of the Spec-R v2's that were phenomenal for the cost. They lasted forever and were a great price.

HOWEVER, that has changed with the new P8 version that has replaced them. The first set I got the axles snapped, both of them within 4 packs. The first snapped when I tried to tighten the wheel nut before my second run. The second snapped when I had a light board tap, nothing that I would have expected to snap an axle.

I would strongly suggest avoiding the new P8 version of the Spec-R shafts.
I've had the same experience with 2 sets of the new P8's both snapping. I also have had the two sets of the V2 which lasted a very long time. I run 4.5T mod and wasn't gonna waste anymore time so I chucked out $100 for the Xray 2mm ECS. I just built my 2nd T4'15 which I originally bought for spares only but no one has the single chassis for sale in the US. I used the little axle capture with rings from the broken P8's on an old set of Xray 2mm pin ECS's in this new car and they work fine.
Old 11-12-2014, 01:43 PM
Tech Initiate

Spider x, the spur that it comes with is more of a mod class spur....so you'll need to replace that as you're building preferably. I switched to the 64pitch spur.
Old 11-12-2014, 09:15 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by metalnut
Awesome It's good to have options.
They're listed on the Smokem website now http://shop.smokem-racing.com/Smokem...CJs_p_199.html
Old 11-12-2014, 10:28 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by veecee
They're listed on the Smokem website now http://shop.smokem-racing.com/Smokem...CJs_p_199.html
Sweet, got a set coming, thanks!
Old 11-13-2014, 10:36 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

It will be interesting to see if Tamiya's plastic blades would hold up better in the T4. Even though the DCJ's are great, I was replacing blades every 3 runs in mod on the 418.
Old 11-13-2014, 11:30 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by metalnut
I liked the V2s once I had the retaining clips on in the correct direction. They held up just fine, but then again I was using them in a 25.5 class so not that much power flowing through them. I have no experience with the new P8 version, but the above experience sounds bad.

The RSD DCJs are very good. Fit and finish is great, just keep them lubricated as they can develop some surface rust (at least it looks like rust). Very little play and come together (and stay together) without a problem, those would be my recommendation.
Metalnut, how did you install the retaining clips? If possible pics. I would think this is for any DCJs.
Old 11-13-2014, 11:58 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by vabroom
Metalnut, how did you install the retaining clips? If possible pics. I would think this is for any DCJs.
I'm not sure I follow your question... what do you mean how did I install them? Carefully Also, with the hook end facing the direction of rotation.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.