R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-21-2014, 04:35 PM   #496
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Gonna start building th e car here soon! Who used the standard carpet setup? What did ya change? I'm trying to decide if I'll swap some of the same settings from my'13 over
Old 10-22-2014, 12:38 AM   #497
Tech Regular

Send a message via MSN to fullout

I ran the car for the first time in mod with a 4.5 on I would call it medium bite carpet and I have been running a t4 13 previously on the same surface.

My first impressions were that it just felt easier and more consistent to drive.

I also dropped 2 tenths so I am liking what i am feeling with the car so far.

I only tried one change which was droop. I started with lots of droop in my mind, 4mm over ride front and 5mm rear. The car was easy to drive but felt a bit lazy. Then I went 3mm front and 4mm rear which made the car feel way more aggressive but felt as if it could be faster, it transitioned faster left to right.

In the end the car is great and very responsive to changes. Also zero issues on shake down session.

Same times with both droop settings. Fyi.
performancehobbies.ca
orcarc.com
fullout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 02:22 AM   #498
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullout View Post
I ran the car for the first time in mod with a 4.5 on I would call it medium bite carpet and I have been running a t4 13 previously on the same surface.

My first impressions were that it just felt easier and more consistent to drive.

I only tried one change which was droop. I started with lots of droop in my mind, 4mm over ride front and 5mm rear. The car was easy to drive but felt a bit lazy. Then I went 3mm front and 4mm rear which made the car feel way more aggressive but felt as if it could be faster, it transitioned faster left to right.

In the end the car is great and very responsive to changes. Also zero issues on shake down session.

try 2mm front and 2.5 rear
and lower if the grip is high
Old 10-22-2014, 02:49 AM   #499
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullout View Post

How did you have the ARS setup?
wlrc.co.uk (West London Racing Centre)
RD Disco
Skiddins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 04:45 AM   #500
Tech Fanatic

Hi guys, what I don t understand about ARS is: if I got 2.5* toe in in the hinge pin what is the lenght in the ARS link? I can have 2.5 on the back but I can change the toe in to 3 or 4 if I make the ARS linkage shorter therefore what is the point to have two different toe in. One in the hige pin and one in the ARS linkage. How do you make the ARS linkage lenght the same toe in like in the hinge pin with the eccentric bushing?

Thanks
Old 10-22-2014, 07:04 AM   #501
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by marco cianfrone View Post
Hi guys, what I don t understand about ARS is: if I got 2.5* toe in in the hinge pin what is the lenght in the ARS link? I can have 2.5 on the back but I can change the toe in to 3 or 4 if I make the ARS linkage shorter therefore what is the point to have two different toe in. One in the hige pin and one in the ARS linkage. How do you make the ARS linkage lenght the same toe in like in the hinge pin with the eccentric bushing?

Thanks
It means you can adjust arm sweep and track width at the rear, independant ot how the rear toe is set.
The ARS links set the rear toe, nothing else.
The pivot blocks then adjust track width etc.
RD Disco
Old 10-22-2014, 07:32 AM   #502
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to EAMotorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skiddins View Post
It means you can adjust arm sweep and track width at the rear, independant ot how the rear toe is set.
The ARS links set the rear toe, nothing else.
The pivot blocks then adjust track width etc.
Not necessarily true. You can now run inboard toe and outboard toe. There is a difference in handeling when doing this. With the zero hinge pin holders there is still 3 degrees of toe built into the arms. So no out board toe with ARS. You would have to put a 1 degree insert turned out on the RF bock and .5 insert turned in on the RR block to get 0 inboard toe and then put your toe back in on the ARS.

EA
EAMotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 07:55 AM   #503
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Just to expand on the whole in-board vs out-board toe. In theory, the outboard toe gives less forward bite but handles bumps better due to less suspension bind under acceleration from the pins being straight. Opposite is true on the inboard toe.

In the past, when playing with this, I always ran extra toe when running outboard. In the end I decided for inboard toe because the extra toe in, while creating a similar feel when running outboard, would still overheat the rear tires more. This was due to the fact that the angle at which they are getting dragged going down the straights was higher.

I plan on getting a '15 to play around with and learn the ARS system and its effects. The car looks nice.
Old 10-22-2014, 08:41 AM   #504
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Standard rear for me. Haven't set the car up yet. But will be 1.5 camber all around, I have the 1 inside inserts for rear so should be narrow rear end, 3 toe. Prickly run 1.5 for out front, what's everyone running for bump steer and Ackerman? Also, layshaft screws for top deck removed? I wasn't a fan of the new layshaft holders and having to remove a side to get spur out but I see why they did it. Getting excited to test!
Old 10-22-2014, 08:50 AM   #505
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by EAMotorsports View Post
Not necessarily true. You can now run inboard toe and outboard toe. There is a difference in handeling when doing this. With the zero hinge pin holders there is still 3 degrees of toe built into the arms. So no out board toe with ARS. You would have to put a 1 degree insert turned out on the RF bock and .5 insert turned in on the RR block to get 0 inboard toe and then put your toe back in on the ARS.

EA
While the wishbones can change between inboard and outboard toe, the actual angle of the wheels is surely only adjusted by the ARS links, this is independantly set of anything else you've changed.
Does inboard 'toe' not assume you are actually changing the toe at the outside die at the same time?
That's why we refer to the wishbone angle at the front as arm sweep, not toe?
RD Disco

Last edited by Skiddins; 10-22-2014 at 09:07 AM.
Old 10-22-2014, 08:59 AM   #506
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Body for the T4'15:

Old 10-22-2014, 09:08 AM   #507
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtcc View Post
Body for the T4'15:

What bodyshell?
RD Disco
Old 10-22-2014, 10:25 AM   #508
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to EAMotorsports

Quote:
While the wishbones can change between inboard and outboard toe, the actual angle of the wheels is surely only adjusted by the ARS links, this is independantly set of anything else you've changed.
Does inboard 'toe' not assume you are actually changing the toe at the outside die at the same time?
That's why we refer to the wishbone angle at the front as arm sweep, not toe?
I have zero clue what you are talking about now.

On the front if you at arm sweep take the outboard toe in/out it creates using the turnbuckles. If you put inboard toe in/out on the car it will move the angle of the entire suspension including the wheels.

In the rear if you build it stock you are really running with 3 degrees inboard toe in and zero outboard toe in. In order to achieve zero inboard toe in you must run the inserts mounted as I posted. Then you will adjust the ARS links to get your toe in outside at the wheels.

EA
EAMotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 11:12 AM   #509
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
What bodyshell?
Hot Bodies Mazda 6 # HB66812LW
Old 10-22-2014, 11:28 AM   #510
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EAMotorsports View Post

EA
Wouldn't that still give you 1.5 degrees inboard toe? Stock is 3 degrees per side, not 3 degrees total.