Like Tree4Likes

Xray t4'15

Old 10-15-2014, 07:05 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by thecaptain
Well this car is the first Xray car I have built. It is pretty nice, the only thing that I have disliked so far is the gear diff. Trying to put the gasket, and o ring on the top and sandwiching them together is rather difficult. But the rest of the car is very nice! Can't wait to make laps with it tonight!
I never use the large o-ring just the gasket and i've never had a diff leak. Like you say its a bit of a pain to put in or re-use.

Mike
Old 10-15-2014, 07:26 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mikkel_R
I never use the large o-ring just the gasket and i've never had a diff leak. Like you say its a bit of a pain to put in or re-use.

Mike
Difficult to install at first, and the silicone-induced swelling of the ring renders it useless after the first use. As stated above, the diff can be assembled without the outer ring, and it won't leak.
Old 10-15-2014, 08:02 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Originally Posted by thecaptain
Well this car is the first Xray car I have built. It is pretty nice, the only thing that I have disliked so far is the gear diff. Trying to put the gasket, and o ring on the top and sandwiching them together is rather difficult. But the rest of the car is very nice! Can't wait to make laps with it tonight!
Paul Lemieux himself recommends that you don't use the o-ring, just the gasket. I wouldn't worry about it.

Last edited by metalnut; 10-15-2014 at 08:38 AM.
Old 10-15-2014, 08:04 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 177 (100%+)

Well, its put together so, next time I swap out oil I will take the little guy out! Where was this 2 hours ago
Old 10-15-2014, 11:39 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by pphaneuf
Is it me, or the diagram in the manual for the offset spur gear has it backward?!?
nope, that is the correct way. If you follow the instructions the spur lines up centrally in between the top deck sides. Mount the spur the other way round and it can rub against the top deck.
Old 10-16-2014, 02:59 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Odin544
I think it's just you. Put the manual down, quit trying to find mistakes and enjoy the new car.
It's my first touring car, and my first build in over 20 years, so I don't really know for sure what goes where, and how, all I've got to go on is the manual and tips and suggestions from people in forums (which has been generally quite helpful!), so I'm sorry for this, but just want to enjoy my car, rather than have to replace spur gears.

The way that I've put spur gear in, it's NOT in the middle, and it is very close to one of the top deck's sides (just under a mm?), and I've had a bit of trouble aligning the pinion with it (it's quite out on the motor's shaft, I can almost see the setscrew).

I've been amazed at some of the insanely close tolerance on that kit, so much quality! But it's made me doubt my instincts... With this sort of quality, less a mm of clearance might just be totally fine. But the way I'm having trouble putting on the pinion, I'm having my doubts.

So here I am, checking with fellow people who have offset spur gears on their T4'15 and asking: do you have the wide side of the spur toward the motor or toward the battery?
Old 10-16-2014, 03:12 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Barry_Hughes
nope, that is the correct way. If you follow the instructions the spur lines up centrally in between the top deck sides. Mount the spur the other way round and it can rub against the top deck.
The manual emphasizes in two separate diagrams that the narrow side of the offset spur gear should go on the side with the spacer, which should go on the side of the short belt (motor side). See this album, for the diagrams in question, and photos of how I've built it:

https://plus.google.com/photos/+Pier...37555285064881

But check out how freakishly close that comes to the top deck (and how much of the motor shaft):

I'm pretty sure I should relax, I'm just not sure if I should relax about a) how close this comes to the top deck, or b) following the manual closely.
Old 10-16-2014, 03:15 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by RC MARKET
XRAY web site was update new ver. manual !
Oh, yeah, that's all from the updated manual. I found some of the issues in the original manual by myself.
Old 10-16-2014, 03:46 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default spur

you have something wrong in assembly.
you can see way more spur layshaft on motor side than there should.

images in manual show deep side spur edge in line with edge of shaft.
your photo shows a mm of shaft poking out.

i did mine exactly to images in manual and mine centered.

screws go into spur from same side as numbering for teeth count then is installed into car with numbers facing motor side.

some motors you have to put pinion grub on motor side as well.
tekin for one.
Old 10-16-2014, 05:42 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by pphaneuf
The manual emphasizes in two separate diagrams that the narrow side of the offset spur gear should go on the side with the spacer, which should go on the side of the short belt (motor side). See this album, for the diagrams in question, and photos of how I've built it:

https://plus.google.com/photos/+Pier...37555285064881

But check out how freakishly close that comes to the top deck (and how much of the motor shaft):

I'm pretty sure I should relax, I'm just not sure if I should relax about a) how close this comes to the top deck, or b) following the manual closely.
easy fix,take the spur gear out and flip it over and put it back in,it should then line up perfectly central,unless thats not an offset spur
Old 10-16-2014, 06:05 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by chasingthepack
easy fix,take the spur gear out and flip it over and put it back in,it should then line up perfectly central,unless thats not an offset spur
Yeah, that's what I was thinking of doing, but that spur gear is damned annoying to get to, I wish the manual had said the right thing in the first place!

Didn't have that problem with my previous car:

http://www.vintagelosi.com/Junior2.html#2

Old 10-16-2014, 12:55 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)

This might sound a bit extreme but with a new car I'll build it (to the manual) rough once (except for shocks) then pull it apart again and build it with great care

Helps you get to know the kit, doing it this way since 2007 with Xray's, I can just about do it in my sleep without stuffing up...
Old 10-16-2014, 04:52 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

I doubt they changed that part of the manual from the 2014 car, so I bet you built it or installed it incorrectly. The screws go on the shallow side of the spur and the hub on the deep side as shown in the cutaway view below.

http://www.teamxray.com/t4/download/...015_manual.pdf
Old 10-16-2014, 04:52 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

duped
Old 10-16-2014, 05:51 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by PROMODVETTE
I doubt they changed that part of the manual from the 2014 car, so I bet you built it or installed it incorrectly. The screws go on the shallow side of the spur and the hub on the deep side as shown in the cutaway view below.
Yeah, that's what I did, you can see the top of the screw and the spacer on the motor side. Since that's the shallow side, the gear is deeper on the hub side, opposite the motor, which makes it almost touch the top deck.

I'm going to try flipping it, that should put it more or less in the center of the top deck cut-out, and make fitting the pinion easier... Any possible downside, you think?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.