R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-20-2014, 02:38 AM   #271
Tech Fanatic

I too don't understand why a new car has to released each year. I drive a Tamiya TRF418 and a new 419 is awaited soon.

I read the exclusive interview with mr. Hudy where he talked about not only the new T4'15, but also the whole touring car business and related races etc.

He desribed that the costs involved in developing a new car and participate in the big races were so high now that even big name brand companies had to prioritize. Which warm up races to attend to, and which not etc.

Racers at club level and other non sponsored racers were finding it more and more diffcult to participate in the big races at even terms with the team drivers, because a good result at a track required a lot of testing at the track (maybe located in a different country), which could not be achieved in a weekend.

He also described the costly process of developing a new version of a car, and how they were pressed for time in order to also test and verify the changes designed.

To me it seems that they would do not only themselves, but also us consumers, a favorite, if they released a car every 2nd year instead.

That would save costs, and maybe even provide a better car, where each part have been tested for a longer period of time, and really have demonstrated its benefit. I believe that some of the changes in each years new revision of all new TC's would probably not have been implemented if they had been subject to a more thorough testing with more data available.

Hard pressed on ressources (money and time) is never a good recipe for well thought out and tested designs.
Old 09-20-2014, 03:26 AM   #272
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Kevin K Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin K

Just because a new car is released does not mean that you have to go out and buy it. I don't get why people are upset with a mfg when they release a new car once a year??? Are you guys the same guys that are mad at Ford or Chevy for making a 2015 model that has something that your 2014 doesn't have? Are you mad at Nike for making a new pair of shoes too? Its a business they are in it to make money once you accept this fact your life might be easier. You don't stay relevant in a market by trying to sell old products.....newer will always out sell older even if older is better. I dont recall Xray or any other mfg holding a gun to my head when they come out with their new car saying that I "HAVE" to buy this or else. Its always your choice dont blame the mfg for your lack of will power....

In the end if you want the new car you will spend the money and buy it.
Im only responsible for what I say NOT what you understand.
Kevin K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 04:26 AM   #273
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

The only problem I do see, is the brands talk up the new model so much, it convinces the newer racers they are loosing because they don't have the latest and greatest model, they try and keep up with the yearly upgrades, and in the end get frustrated from the spending levels and walk away from the hobby.

Sponsored racers don't help that either, I'm not bagging them one bit, but part of their jobs is to convince everyone to buy the new model their sponsor just gave to them, the cycle of pushing you to spend is endless, and also hurts local racing.

What I'd like to see, cars driven at major events, are required to have been in production 6 months plus, no prototypes, no new versions released just for an event, this would cut down the endless model churning, and special development done just for some tracks and events.

If Mr Hudy is serious about some of what he said in the interviews, surely he'd agree with that, or just admit like every company, they 'want' endless costly development that gets passed onto the pockets of club racers.
www.myrcm.ch/main?pLa=en&hId[1]=org&dId[O]=4331
Bishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 04:36 AM   #274
Tech Fanatic

I was just saying that maybe one year is too short a timespan for new designs to evolve into something that really is giving an improvement in real performance, and not only in the theoretical universe.

And if companies are "struggling" to put a new car out each year and most customers do not want it, then what is the use?

In my case, it actually have nothing to do with liquidity, I can afford a new car each year, it is more the logic in what it actually brings of real value that discourages me.

If I one year spend the cash and more often ran on new tires and lipos than spending cash on a new car and new part spares, that would probably give me a faster car and better lap times than a new car.
Old 09-20-2014, 10:03 AM   #275
Tech Regular

At the local club, there's someone who used to race a lot, left for about 10 years, and is just getting back into it, they're running their old Associated TC3 that they dusted off, and got brushless/lipo gear for it. And they're competitive.

So it seems to me that keeping running a T4'14 for the next year, get some upgrades for it with a smaller price tag, run fresher tyres, and so on, wouldn't be a bad decision at all.

That said, me, I'm getting back into racing after 20 years away, so I can wait the two weeks to get the freshest, newest chassis.

Last edited by pphaneuf; 09-20-2014 at 12:12 PM.
pphaneuf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 12:27 PM   #276
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin K View Post
Just because a new car is released does not mean that you have to go out and buy it. I don't get why people are upset with a mfg when they release a new car once a year??? Are you guys the same guys that are mad at Ford or Chevy for making a 2015 model that has something that your 2014 doesn't have? Are you mad at Nike for making a new pair of shoes too? Its a business they are in it to make money once you accept this fact your life might be easier. You don't stay relevant in a market by trying to sell old products.....newer will always out sell older even if older is better. I dont recall Xray or any other mfg holding a gun to my head when they come out with their new car saying that I "HAVE" to buy this or else. Its always your choice dont blame the mfg for your lack of will power....

In the end if you want the new car you will spend the money and buy it.
Finally! Someone who gets it.....thank you!

The same complaints happen every single year at this time. And what about racers getting into TC for the first time or are new to the hobby? Why can't they have the newest and greatest?

No one has a gun to anyone's head to buy the newest TC. If you get pressured from marketing or sponsored drivers to do so, that is your fault and no one else's.

-Kane
Old 09-20-2014, 02:06 PM   #277
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Interesting how threads differ. In the AE6.2 thread the guys were positivly excited, even though the car has a conservative layout.

But somehow I can understand some thoughts here. After two years I am badly awaiting the new car, because the old one just earned its retirement after 3-4 seasons of indoor and outdoor racing. After one year you maybe just found the near perfect setup for it. So a new car maybe just makes you feel uncomfortable, because it gives the feeling of missing something...
I had the feeling when the shiny new T4 came out I sat there with my 6.1...

This year the T4'15 will become my first Non-AE car since entering the hobby with the TC5 in 2009. I am looking forward to the famous high end quality and the new experience. But it still has to prove its speed against the 6.2.

Next week the kits will ship. Excited
Old 09-20-2014, 02:51 PM   #278
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 64 (100%+)

Welcome aboard Kevin, you'll love it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VO6XEQIsCoM

at 15min 10 sec will help those who buy "good cheap kits"
Old 09-20-2014, 06:16 PM   #279
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brokin Racing View Post
Welcome aboard Kevin, you'll love it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VO6XEQIsCoM

at 15min 10 sec will help those who buy "good cheap kits"
Nice choice, Barry is a smart man!
erchn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 07:25 PM   #280
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

"Failior [sic] crowns enterprise." Robert Goddard

I-Lap Scoring Systems http://www.rclapcounter.com/
robk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 09:02 PM   #281
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by robk View Post

Yup....original idea!
"Desire is the key to motivation, but it's the determination and commitment to an unrelenting pursuit of laying it down - a commitment to excellence - that will enable you to attain the success you seek to beat ass."

-Espo
Xpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 09:16 PM   #282
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Kevin K Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpress View Post
Yup....original idea!
Its Optamized and by optamized I mean take someone elses idea make it orange then say you did it first. smh
Im only responsible for what I say NOT what you understand.
Kevin K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 09:42 PM   #283
Tech Apprentice

Well, I welcome all the new changes with open arms. I have found a need for them. I don't mind buying my own ECS drive shafts b/c I understand the cost it would be to the kit although they are required for the smoothest operation. Heck if you're even buying a (expensive "Luxury Touring Car") kit like this obviously you're serious about racing and representing the brand, so include it. However, I am majorly disappointed by two seemingly overlooked items, oh and a third, the chassis pinion access hole position (useless), and the lay shaft design. The layshaft in my opinion sets too close to the top deck impacting flex needed for low-grip asphalt as it stops the twist. Yes you can "work yourself to death" add 8x 1mm shims on the bulkheads to raise the top deck (tedious concentration task), but why not design the system so that you only need to add 2x (rear) or 4x 1mm shims on the lay shaft instead??? I feel like the lay shaft does not need the front holes either especially if you use the optional aluminum stand to restrict flex. I'm typically opposed to third-party untested "downgrades", but I tried the Smokem Racing T4v7 kit and immediately noticed more traction which equated to more steering in low-grip conditions. The, third item is the missed opportunity to ease or quicken the ability to change the Spur gear holder design allowing customers to spend more time on the track enjoying and showcasing the Xray T4 brand than hanging around in the pits wrenching Spur gear holders.
Durango DEX410v4 /Tekin RSX/Tekin RL 6.5/Savox 1251MG /Sanwa M12:rx-471
rafyel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 09:59 PM   #284
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by rafyel View Post
Well, I welcome all the new changes with open arms. I have found a need for them. I don't mind buying my own ECS drive shafts b/c I understand the cost it would be to the kit although they are required for the smoothest operation. Heck if you're even buying a (expensive "Luxury Touring Car") kit like this obviously you're serious about racing and representing the brand, so include it. However, I am majorly disappointed by two seemingly overlooked items, oh and a third, the chassis pinion access hole position (useless), and the lay shaft design. The layshaft in my opinion sets too close to the top deck impacting flex needed for low-grip asphalt as it stops the twist. Yes you can "work yourself to death" add 8x 1mm shims on the bulkheads to raise the top deck (tedious concentration task), but why not design the system so that you only need to add 2x (rear) or 4x 1mm shims on the lay shaft instead??? I feel like the lay shaft does not need the front holes either especially if you use the optional aluminum stand to restrict flex. I'm typically opposed to third-party untested "downgrades", but I tried the Smokem Racing T4v7 kit and immediately noticed more traction which equated to more steering in low-grip conditions. The, third item is the missed opportunity to ease or quicken the ability to change the Spur gear holder design allowing customers to spend more time on the track enjoying and showcasing the Xray T4 brand than hanging around in the pits wrenching Spur gear holders.

I know I spoke more about the things I would've like to see. But, I want to say I love the new changes. I can't stop looking at the pictures. I'm super excited b/c I think the T4'14 is a beast, extremely fast. When I saw how Hagberg was all over Ronald in one of the first races with the T4'14 in the EFRA 2013 Finals https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyA-cDXQEkc#t=129) I was all on the edge of my seat biting nails. Ronald is just too much. But the T4'14 is a monster so the tweaks on the T4'15 can only make it much more killer. Awesome year Alex, and Xray!
Durango DEX410v4 /Tekin RSX/Tekin RL 6.5/Savox 1251MG /Sanwa M12:rx-471
rafyel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 10:08 PM   #285
Tech Adept

Default The new car

Hi

Have allready ordered one when my local shop took pre-orders in , and the car will land in denmark middle next week , cant wait.

But also would like to see 2 things.

1. If you flip left and right bulkheads , can you then press the roll-bar bearings from the inside instead of the outside and still use the T4 2014 rollbars???

2. ARS, the toe-in linkage is placed on the chassis with a 9-10mm long screw and a long shim. In case of a sideways hit against the wood track markers , will that destroy the hole for the linkage in the chassis , thinking the problem with the T3 front rear arm holder (FR). They was placed first in 2 piece , but many broke their chassis so the made a one piece.

Well , only time will tell. Still looking forward to get my new car.