R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree1Likes

Old 09-03-2015, 07:00 AM   #1531
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpidarX View Post
I've seen a number of people recommend placing .5 shims under the top deck. I assume this creates more flex. Under what conditions would you do this? I would like to hear some opinions of whether this is a good setting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrymer View Post
I can tell you all the fast guys are doing it That's about all I know. I think some are even using 1mm shims.
Generally you'll use the shims when you don't want the topdeck to touch the layshaft bulkheads, this way when the topdeck flexes it does not bind on them. This generates more traction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasd View Post
Has anybody tried the 2.25 or 2.5 mm arrowmax top deck for high traction carpet
I haven't used Arrowmax, but I've used pretty much the entire spectrum of Avid topdecks. With the aluminum chassis on carpet I have found the 1.5mm soft and hard Avid topdecks to be really good on really any grip level. I tried the 2.0mm hard on high bite and it was okay, but I preferred the feel I got from the 1.5 topdecks. Soon I will test the carbon chassis with the Avid 2.0 hard topdeck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Hanson View Post
What are peoples thoughts on the ARS system? I have not really seen much chatter about it.
I've tried it a little bit, most recently was the week before our Charity race at JMR. I didn't like it personally, but the track was also a little bumpy then before the re-pave. Europeans seem to like it mostly for high bite, smooth and flowing asphalt tracks.

I also tried it at IIC last year when the car first came out. Alex did as well, we all ended up going back to the standard suspension that week. For carpet I think you'll always want the standard rear suspension.
Old 09-03-2015, 10:02 AM   #1532
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
What are peoples thoughts on the ARS system? I have not really seen much chatter about it.
Tried it twice on low/medium grip tarmac and didn't like it. Even set to 3.2deg toe it had very little rear grip. Probably works okay on RIDE tyres (which understeer a lot) in high traction conditions, but not much use for UK racing.

The PSS inserts are good though, they're worth having. More stability and consistency with minimal loss of steering. Couple of setup changes and you've then got more steering and more consistency = better laptimes.
daleburr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 11:52 AM   #1533
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by daleburr View Post
Tried it twice on low/medium grip tarmac and didn't like it. Even set to 3.2deg toe it had very little rear grip. Probably works okay on RIDE tyres (which understeer a lot) in high traction conditions, but not much use for UK racing.

The PSS inserts are good though, they're worth having. More stability and consistency with minimal loss of steering. Couple of setup changes and you've then got more steering and more consistency = better laptimes.

Are you pairing progressive springs with the PSS like Alex and other Xray drivers are or are you using something else?
Old 09-03-2015, 05:15 PM   #1534
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Do most guys run boost in there cars. Car has a 6.5t and trying to see if its ok to add boost or run in blinky.
Old 09-03-2015, 05:16 PM   #1535
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyok2 View Post
Do most guys run boost in there cars. Car has a 6.5t and trying to see if its ok to add boost or run in blinky.
I'd highly recommend running at least one boost, it'll take the esc out of blinky mode, and make it smoother. Most ESCs in blinky mode turn into light switches.
Old 09-03-2015, 05:18 PM   #1536
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Ok thanks. I will try it this weekend. Will be my first onroad race.
Old 09-03-2015, 08:32 PM   #1537
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
I just converted to it. Will give it a try this weekend.
SpidarX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 08:56 PM   #1538
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Quote:
Big track or small track? On a small track, just put in a pinch to smooth it out. On a big track you'll need a ton of boost to have any shot at keeping up with most peoples boosted 4.5t.
Old 09-04-2015, 02:07 AM   #1539
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Carter View Post
Are you pairing progressive springs with the PSS like Alex and other Xray drivers are or are you using something else?
With the PSS inserts I've run Xray linear, Xray progressive, and RSD progressive.

The Xray linear springs (2.7) are best if the grip is low, as they seem to give a bit more bite and consistency. RSD progressives (silvers) are great if its hot and the grip is good. I haven't done enough running with the Xray progressives to figure out what their ideal conditions are. At my local track (low/med grip) the Xray linears were faster.

I've only had the PSS shocks for about a month though so more testing will be needed next outdoor season.
daleburr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 03:00 AM   #1540
Tech Elite

Quote:
Depending on track size, i'd be running boost 90% of the time with a 6.5 (I certainly did when running a 7.5)
If you want to run blinky in mod then a 5.5 for fairly small tracks and a 4.5 for anything larger should do.
The only place you'd lose out not running boosted is the straight.
wlrc.co.uk (West London Racing Centre)
RCDisco.co.uk
Skiddins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 08:04 AM   #1541
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Can someone explain how changing the arm inserts effects the car, I understand that they change how the arm sits but what do all the different positions mean
Thanks
Southern Tasmania Model Car Club
lethallee69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 11:41 AM   #1542
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lethallee69 View Post
Can someone explain how changing the arm inserts effects the car, I understand that they change how the arm sits but what do all the different positions mean
Thanks
BY moving the arms outwards or inwards you can alter the width of the car.

by putting angle inwards or outwards you can add or reduce toe in or add toe out

You can alter the roll centre (up or down) if you move the arms level up or down
buy adding an angle up or down you can add anti or pro squat or anti or pro dive

best bet is to download the set up guide for the T4 13 it is basically the same or the Hudy set up guide

you can of course add any combination e.g. to lower the roll centre, add prodive and increase toe in
Barry_Hughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 09:06 PM   #1543
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry_Hughes View Post
BY moving the arms outwards or inwards you can alter the width of the car.

by putting angle inwards or outwards you can add or reduce toe in or add toe out

You can alter the roll centre (up or down) if you move the arms level up or down
buy adding an angle up or down you can add anti or pro squat or anti or pro dive

best bet is to download the set up guide for the T4 13 it is basically the same or the Hudy set up guide

you can of course add any combination e.g. to lower the roll centre, add prodive and increase toe in
Thanks for the explanation
Does widening or narrowing at the mounting points have the same effect as doing the hex's?
Southern Tasmania Model Car Club
lethallee69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 08:23 PM   #1544
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcar951 View Post
Usually November or December. Thinking of making a change, a main?
Any news on this? I don't want to get a T4 '15 only for it to be obsolete when they release the T5 in November or December. Are there "sneak peeks" anywhere?
XRAY XB2 2018, XRAY XB4 2017, Durango DEST210R, XRAY XB4 2014, Vaterra Slick Rock, Durango DEX210, SpeedMerchant REV4, HB TCX, Traxxas EMaxx, HPI RS4 Pro, Tamiya TA02, Yokomo YZ10, Associated RC10 Team Car, Bolink Eliminator 10, Kyosho Optima, Tamiya HotShot, Tamiya Grasshopper
theclutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 10:53 PM   #1545
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpidarX View Post
I just converted to it. Will give it a try this weekend.
Just tried out the ARS for the first time. At first the rear end seemed to be inconsistent. Sometimes it would loose traction, especially when going through chicanes. Added more rear camber and stood the rear shocks up a bit....really helped it out. The car rotated really well, and I could drive it much harder through the turns. So overall, I think it went pretty well. I used a static rear toe in of 2.5, and 3.0 rear toe in under full suspension compression.
SpidarX is offline   Reply With Quote