Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
new to r/c drifting, help with components >

new to r/c drifting, help with components

new to r/c drifting, help with components

Old 04-24-2014, 10:12 PM
Tech Rookie

Default new to r/c drifting, help with components

Hi All,

I've been looking into rc drift cars recently as a hobby to get into and then my friends surprised me for my birthday with the sakura cs sport D3A chassis (came with rims and tyres) and a Savox sc-1252MG servo. Now I don't know much about these or any other components but could I get some advice on which receiver, ESC, battery and charger I should get? As I'm just starting out I'd like to go for the cheaper options. Also if there are any other things I'd need to purchase, point me in the right direction. And lastly where are the better places to purchase from as I am in australia? (ebay would be a good option as long as postage is reasonable)

Thanks
Old 04-25-2014, 12:39 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

For a motor and esc anything sensored in the 10.5-13.5 range is usually good. I like hobbywing and tekin electronics, but it you are really on a budget a brushed setup with brushed motor and esc will give very similar performance. Get either a futaba 3plor airtronics Mxv. Both are great and will keep budget spending to a minimum. As for batteries anything hardcase 2s lipo with 3000+ mah will work fine. Many people like turnkey nanotechnology batteries.

The servo you have will work just fine.

The chassis might not. It is a cs chassis and comes with a rather high cs ratio as well. Since you Are new I would say that you should start with a 50:50 and then move to the d3, as until you get the feel for drifting a cs chassis can be a real handful to control.
Old 04-25-2014, 12:45 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

For the price, I will chime in about radios. While they may be people who disagree here , For a cheap but decent system look into a Flysky , cheap but reliable.

BUT no matter what kind of radio you choose, go 2.4ghz!
Old 04-25-2014, 06:59 PM
Tech Rookie

Here is a list of things I've complied from the information I've gathered

2 x Hard Case LiPo 4200mah 2-cell 45c 7.4v Battery Pack $29.80
asiatees.com/display?Miscellaneous-All-Parts-Hop-Ups&brand=Miscellaneous&model=All&id=47380

Flysky FS-GT2B 2.4G 3CH Gun Transmitter For Rc Cars W/ Receiver (complete Set) $29.34
asiatees.com/display?Miscellaneous-All-Parts-Hop-Ups&brand=Miscellaneous&model=All&id=61596

A3 2s 3s Lipo Balance Charger Ac Input (Australia Standard) $16
asiatees.com/display?Himoto-Barren-Parts-Hop-Ups&brand=Himoto&model=Barren&id=62737

As for the motor and ESC I'd like to be able to purchase it from the same store however I can't seem to find many options. Any ideas?

(Sorry my post count doesn't allow me to post proper links)

Last edited by sssboi; 04-25-2014 at 07:01 PM. Reason: prices
Old 04-25-2014, 07:04 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by ThePanda
The chassis might not. It is a cs chassis and comes with a rather high cs ratio as well. Since you Are new I would say that you should start with a 50:50 and then move to the d3, as until you get the feel for drifting a cs chassis can be a real handful to control.
It unfortunately isn't very feasable to purchase another chassis, so I'd really like to stick to this and I'll work at learning how to use it.
Old 04-25-2014, 09:00 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

i would use this website, much better selection. http://www.rcmart.com/index.php
Old 04-25-2014, 10:13 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by ThePanda
i would use this website, much better selection.
Everything seems to be out of stock to the point of them not even stocking any 7.4v lipo batteries....
Old 04-25-2014, 11:12 PM
Tech Rookie

And the ESC:

HobbyWing QuicRun 1/10 Brushless Sensored System 60A ESC w/ 10.5T 3300KV Motor & YA-0180 Fan Combo $75
rcmart.com/quicrun-brushless-sensored-system-105t-3450kv-motor-ya0180-p-38923.html
Old 04-26-2014, 03:30 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

I'm gonna try to chime in on this as I had my first ever drifting experience yesterday.

My experience was surprising as I thought there wasn't much to drifting....wow I was wrong. Listen to every bit of advice u can get bc I have a maxed out tc3 for power and it was a huge mistake for drift. Sensored or brushed only...snsorless/brushless is too much power. Also, IMO lipos are too much, it was a spin festival...not even fun with a castle 5700 on 2s.

Also, surface seems to be enormously important and smoother is better. Personally, I finally found a clay basketball court that made it a lot more fun...but still not so much as I am pushing too much raw, unsensored power.

The savox is good...but look for speed, not torque.
Old 04-26-2014, 03:40 AM
Tech Adept

slap drift tires on anything and it will skid. if you want to go drift spec then the mst rtr(rcmart) is worth a look(bin the servo and go digi asap). then sensored brushless 13.5-10.5 is the next step(coupled with lipo to match the new power). sensored brushless is hands down the best option for any form of onroad rc let alone drift. 50/50 drift is a good start tho low ratio counter steer is nothing to be scared of. the 3 racing d3 is to high a ratio to with and requires ALOT of hop upping(fact) to make reliable. the Eagle Racing GRT chassis are good value with endless tuning options http://www.broadtech.hk/eagleshop/shop/ShopTop.aspx .

drift is all about the fun
Old 04-26-2014, 06:21 AM
Tech Initiate

Hey, just to boost your confidence a bit, I recently got a D3 CS as my first 1/10th scale r/c car. Had a HPI Micro RS4 for a couple months and got really bored with 50/50 drifting. I'll say that the high stock CS is a little nuts at first, but after a couple hours, you'll be linking turns and having a blast! If not, you can always dial down the CS a bit with some different pulleys, so it's not a huge investment and really easy to go back to the higher CS once you get a little more comfortable.

My biggest tip with the high CS is to let that do the work for you. You don't have to veer wildly into drifts or make tons of super quick, large steering adjustments. Just a little wiggle will slide that back end out pretty quick and a mix of throttle and consistent steering will let you control that slide. I've only had my D3 for about two weeks now, and after about 8 hours of run-time, I still slide off my track now and then, but it's coming together quickly. You'll love it!
Old 06-10-2014, 03:56 AM
Tech Rookie

I've purchased all the gear and it's almost up and running, I just need the gear that connects on the motor and to the gear on the chassis. Any idea what size or how many teeth it is?
Old 06-20-2014, 10:05 PM
Tech Rookie

also when turning the car on, the steering switches to almost full lock towards the left hand side. adjusting the wheel angles on the remote doesnt go far enough to correct this.
Old 06-21-2014, 04:57 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by sssboi
also when turning the car on, the steering switches to almost full lock towards the left hand side. adjusting the wheel angles on the remote doesnt go far enough to correct this.
I can help with this. Your servo is not centered.

Disconnect the servo horn from the servo, then turn your radio and car on and let the servo center. Make sure the trim on your radio is set to the center for the steering servo. Put the servo horn back on and then you can adjust linkages and the trim on your radio if you need minor adjustments.