Wiki Posts
Search

Proud owner of a vintage RC10LS...need some pointers

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2014, 06:46 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default Proud owner of a vintage RC10LS...need some pointers

Hey guys, I'm not real familiar with on-road car setups as I'm mostly an off-road racing guy. I was given an RC10LS that was on its way to the trash can! I'll post some pics later because its in really good shape(except for the dry rotted foam tires). My reason for starting a thread is because I'm not really sure what is over-kill or under-kill when getting a motor and ESC. I want to go brushless and I want it to be sensored. looking to go about 35-40mph to get on my feet with this. any suggestions on motor KV or amp rating of an ESC would be great! and any baseline pinion tooth count would be helpful as well. I don't plan on racing with this car, just something to get into this side of the hobby. I'll upgrade later once i figure out how to tune and adjust on them.

THANKS GUYS!!
Old 06-21-2014, 08:32 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Go to the "10th scale Pan Car" thread in the "Oval, Larger And More" Forum. Or the "Pro10:235mm Le Mans Prototype Pan Car Disscussion" here in the "Electric On-Road" Forum.
Old 06-21-2014, 12:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Going "FAST" with a pan car is easy - keeping it on the ground w/o going airborne, or simply spinning out....another story.

Pan cars need clean smooth surfaces - any dirt/dust makes them a handful really quick.

Depending on the radio you have - you can go with something like a 1 cell lipo battery - and a 10.5 wind motor. That will give you a good speed range, and if it's too fast to start you could simply turn down your Throttle end point to adjust to a desired speed.

If you already have 2 cell packs that will fit the chassis - you could still go with a 10.5 wind motor, but that combo in the right place w/ the right gearing will top 70 mph . 2 cell and a 17.5 wind motors ran over 60 mph on high banked oval tracks several years ago (BICYCLE VELODROMES)

Depending on what body type you plan to use on this, make sure to use a fairly large wing or spoiler on the back end for more enjoyable "bashing", it will really help keep the rear tires planted to the ground.
Old 06-22-2014, 04:03 PM
Tech Regular

Greetings Cmarcan, congratulations on your aquisition. Any pictures? Does it have a graphite or G10 fiberglass chassis?
Old 06-22-2014, 08:29 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Oreo, I do believe it is the graphite chassis. I haven't had much time to snap any pictures because I am getting situated in my new home that I just bought. They will be up shortly and I will post updates as I resurrect this bad boy!