R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-22-2014, 08:07 PM   #601
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by haywood View Post
Don't some cars like the Yokomo require the use of Yokomo specific rims because of the offset? Could someone explain who is pushing for the spec tire? Is it the race promotor or the racers?
It was just a proposition put forth to think about.

I'm indifferent I guess, although I agree, there really isn't an easy solution to mate a tire to the differently offset Yokomo/Pro One ( I think?) etc hubs.
Old 10-23-2014, 09:00 AM   #602
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I bought some yokomo tires once and the offset was abut 1/2 the width of the tires. Therefore, I think standard jaco or CRC offset tires won't work on a yokomo car, unless they change out their entire rear axle and that may not work.
I don't know who is pushing the spec tire thing in 1/12. Scotty brought it up when he was announcing. He also said that he would prefer not doing it because it is a lot more work for him and his crew, however he would do whatever the racers wanted.

If spec is what people want, I think it would be better to have a spec motor than spec tires. A spec gear ratio could be set, like is used in the Spec GT touring car class. However this would drastically increase the entry fee and I am already paying over $300 in entry fees. My vote is to leave the 1/12 classes the way they are.
Driving: Xray T4 2015, T.O.P. Rebel 12, Durango DEX8T, Durango DEX408 v2, Associated B5M, Associated B44.2
rc_speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 11:00 AM   #603
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Just a couple thoughts about the spec tire question proposed by Scotty.

From what I heard, all cars in the A were on either blue or green rear tires depending on how they wanted the car to feel. Mostly blue though. It's been the same the last few large races I have been at. As for fronts I know for sure most we're on purples/lilac, blue or double blue. I know for sure the top 4 qualifiers were on purple/lilac. With this being said, don't we all know what tires to run already?

My only fear with a spec tire is that we will be paying another $30/ set at the track. If you buy practice, 4 race sets and a main set, your just as expensive as before and left with no ability to tune with tires which is 90% of the car setup IMO.

Again. Just my opinion.
Old 10-23-2014, 11:50 AM   #604
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I think a track that has a large selection of 1/12 brands should try it and then give some feedback on how everyone's cars run instead of everyone speculating if it will work or not. If it works at a club track couldn't it work at a big race ?
Old 10-23-2014, 04:10 PM   #605
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to TOADYY

At our club we run black (f)/yellow or orange (r) on carpet. I ran black/orange at IIC. The tires choice can vary depending on your driving style and set-up. I would not want to do a spec tire, gear ratio for 1/12th scale.

"Pro 10, the only way to fly around the track!"
TOADYY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 04:19 PM   #606
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I've ran speed merchant ,crc, v-dezign, cefx, and even tried a top 1/12 , I always ended up on the same tires, but maybe it's just me.
Old 10-23-2014, 06:19 PM   #607
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to L.Fairtrace

Making a spec tire in 12th scale makes my life easier. I quit running 12th scale at races with a spec tire.

Horsham RC. Where champions practice Failing. I'm your everything.....
L.Fairtrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 08:15 PM   #608
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIITA View Post
Just a couple thoughts about the spec tire question proposed by Scotty.

From what I heard, all cars in the A were on either blue or green rear tires depending on how they wanted the car to feel. Mostly blue though. It's been the same the last few large races I have been at. As for fronts I know for sure most we're on purples/lilac, blue or double blue. I know for sure the top 4 qualifiers were on purple/lilac. With this being said, don't we all know what tires to run already?

My only fear with a spec tire is that we will be paying another $30/ set at the track. If you buy practice, 4 race sets and a main set, your just as expensive as before and left with no ability to tune with tires which is 90% of the car setup IMO.

Again. Just my opinion.
I had no idea what tires people were running. I also don't know what all those colors mean. So, maybe some or most of the top guys know but guessing at tires is a big part of why I rarely run 1/12.
Old 10-23-2014, 08:44 PM   #609
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Spec 12th tires? I'm not exactly in favor the idea across the board. For a 21.5 AMATEUR class, fine. For 17.5/13.5/Mod, I say no. Different tracks vary massively in their grip levels. Some tracks are very unfriendly to the Purple/Pink family of tires because the tires heat up and pull up carpet fibers. Others are cruel to synthetics, because they are slightly harder on the tires, and the synthetics wear very quickly. Factor in various chassis designs, driving styles etc. and things get even more vague.

For the longest time, I'd go to major events with Yellow rears, Magenta fronts and Black fronts for 17.5. I like a car with ALOT of steering, so it was usually magenta fronts, unless the grip level was insane. Other drivers/chassis preferred the lilac front. 13.5 was always Pink/Magenta, or Magenta/Magenta. Now we've added Blu/Greene compounds, and it seems they are becoming the norm.

There are already 2 spec tire Pan car classes, WGT and F1. If you want a spec tire pancar, EMBRACE WGT and F1. 12th scale turnouts are alive and well at these events with out a spec tire. Once again, this is just my opinion, as a 12th scale racer who has been running the class for well over 25 years, and I'm still not that good at it,
Team CRC, PowerPush, Access Race Place, US Indoor Champs, CD SUPERPRO, RK Designs, TxDSkingraphix, Cypress, Founder and lead instructor of the Ian Ruggles Negative Reinforcement Driver Training Program, enroll now.....
CypressMidWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 05:10 AM   #610
Tech Regular

We're safely back in the UK after an amazing couple of weeks in Florida and then Vegas as part of what Scotty called the "British invasion" of the IIC.

Huge thanks to Scott, Boomer, Charlie and the awesome IIC tech crew. We had a great time racing and celebrating the "decade edition" of the IIC.

I've been lucky enough to be able to race at the IIC four times, and we're already making plans to return for a fifth visit in 2015.

Thanks also to the Brian and Mario for help and advice with my CRC WTF-1, and to Mark & Patrick for fun and banter in the Timezone pits all week.
MarkBurgess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 10:15 AM   #611
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 85 (99%+)

+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.Fairtrace View Post
Making a spec tire in 12th scale makes my life easier. I quit running 12th scale at races with a spec tire.
Old 10-28-2014, 01:17 PM   #612
Tech Regular

+ 1
Mike Herald Sr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 03:13 PM   #613
Tech Fanatic

I would not like to run 12th races with a spec tyre. For me we are now at a place where there are spec tyres by default - most people carry only two grades of front and two grades of rear to races. For my UK National series I carry two grades for each end of the car and never fail to tune it to the track.

I don't see what a spec tyre does for the class except make it harder to race. For different tracks you have to find different set-ups to make the car work instead of the simple expedient of changing tyres. Just my 2c...
SlowerOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 05:19 PM   #614
avs
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Does anyone know if there is a 'lost and found' bin from this year? (for us bozo's that can't keep track of things) is there a contact?
Old 10-30-2014, 12:54 AM   #615
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

For what it's worth, this is from my experience racing spec tires. Copy/pasted from Seattle RC Racers thread....

Missed ya Garrett! Next time.

Hey, so I took one for the team tonight. I ran stripes all night on my stock 12. Spec tires that is. CRC purple stripes. They are basically lilacs front and rear, same as a wgt tire mounted on 12th scale wheels. I cut them a tad big: 42.3/41.3. Gave them a good rounding. Not knowing how they would react, I went a tic conservative and full doped the rear and 1/3 fronts for about 10 minutes with sxt3.0. Ran about 10 practice laps in early practice. I thought, they didn't do anything special, didn't do anything weird. Repeaked the pack, doped them again in the same way, waited till end of practice and whoa buddy, they felt pretty racy. Round 1 came, feeling pretty good. Talked a little trash. At the end, I was holding the broom and working the dust pan. Todd lapped me by a lap and a half and one point even let Stuart pass as he was rolling up on me. The car was super easy to drive. It felt like I had a huge window for set up. Anyone could drive these tires. The car seemed to have adequate cut, but didn't finish the corner well enough. But at the same token, the car never did anything stupid, super smooth. About a .5 seconds from fast to last. For round 2 I thought I will tighten up the nose a little. I went 2/3 sauce, more camber, more center spring. Oh boy, we had race car now! Fast laps dropped down to where they should, but fade remained the same... or fast to last was now .8ths. The car was pretty aggressive at first, that probably came from the camber and the fade probably came from the camber, so it made sense to go with less camber and more sauce. For the main, I went with 80% front sauce, full rear, less camber then R2 but more then R1 and even more center spring. Now we have a race car! Todd put it on the pole by .4ths, so I had to work a pass. For about 3 minutes I haunted Todd's tail feathers, checked up several times, aborted runs, and even punched him in the butt. Finally, sweaty and slobbered up, I made muscle pass through the middle as my car cleared his nose. The margin in the end was 3 seconds. The more front sauce, not so aggressive camber and more center spring was all the changes my car needed to run spec tires vs race tires to achieve a victory. I will say, I was kinda impressed. I think the spec tires have a bigger sweet spot then race tires. You just need to make some mild adjustments. The wear was reasonable, in 3 runs plus 20 laps of practice, I wore the fronts from 41.3 to 40.5, the rears from 42.3 to 41.8. That's about .2 front, .15 rear a run.... ironically a lot like wgt!

If this were to evolve into a 17.5 12 spec class, possibly replacing stock 12 at bigger events....I think it would work well. The logistics of tire hand out is always going to be a headache, but it would make for some great racing. This in only my first try with these tires. But I am impressed with the potential. They didn't suck!
Brian
_______
Team Orca orcharc.com
Slapmaster6000 is offline   Reply With Quote