R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-22-2014, 01:15 PM   #586
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)

I think if 12th had the spec tire and those tires come trued out of the box in a variety of different diameters the class would grow tremendously. The 2 things that keep people out are the tire and tire truer. If a racer could buy some spec 41, 42, 43 45mm etc tires that are ready to race, they would be much more inclined to race the class.
PROMODVETTE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 01:18 PM   #587
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by PROMODVETTE View Post
I think if 12th had the spec tire and those tires come trued out of the box in a variety of different diameters the class would grow tremendously. The 2 things that keep people out are the tire and tire truer. If a racer could buy some spec 41, 42, 43 45mm etc tires that are ready to race, they would be much more inclined to race the class.
Yep. Tires & truing are the only thing holding me back from diving into 1/12.
Old 10-22-2014, 01:54 PM   #588
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricPF View Post
I think you're making tires and truing a bigger deal than it is. At this years IIC I ran my 17.5 1/12 scale five practices, four qualifiers, made the B main and ran the main on a grand total of two sets of tires. I wasn't elite, but it wasn't tires holding me back.

If you run on grip you can expect to use up a set of tires on a race day, still infinitely better than offroad where tires last 12-14 laps.
It is obvious and intuitive to the most casual of observers that RC racing is better than golf.
DesertRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 02:04 PM   #589
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricPF View Post
This would put me back on the track as well
jlfx car audio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 02:19 PM   #590
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Carter View Post
I'm a lower main type of driver, particularly in 1/12 because I simply don't run 1/12 much at all. I would take a spec tire and be happy with it for sure. No more guessing, just have to work with diameter and sauce.
+1

Spec tire I think would be great.
It's the Handout tire at the big races that would likely prove to be a major headache to both racers and organizers.

Kev
notsocrazybrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 02:30 PM   #591
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Doesn't have to be a handout, just spec... There are several companies that make spec tires for wgt with a purple stripe. Make the same thing for 12th scale
Old 10-22-2014, 04:01 PM   #592

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRat View Post
I think you're making tires and truing a bigger deal than it is.
Unfortunately while for many people who run 1/12 already it isn't a big deal, but many people avoid the class just because of that. It's a dirty, smelly, PITA. Its one of the reasons my 1/12 is on the shelf, just waiting.

I hate breathing in the crap that comes off the tires, and even with a face mask you need a full on paint grade respirator to avoid the smoke fumes from burning natural rubber.
Old 10-22-2014, 04:06 PM   #593
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clegg View Post
Unfortunately while for many people who run 1/12 already it isn't a big deal, but many people avoid the class just because of that. It's a dirty, smelly, PITA. Its one of the reasons my 1/12 is on the shelf, just waiting.

I hate breathing in the crap that comes off the tires, and even with a face mask you need a full on paint grade respirator to avoid the smoke fumes from burning natural rubber.
I imagine aside from a tire you are told to run, all else would be the same

Quote:
Doesn't have to be a handout, just spec... There are several companies that make spec tires for wgt with a purple stripe. Make the same thing for 12th scale
The tires would have to be handout

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing."
― Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr.
RedBullFiXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 04:48 PM   #594
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Maybe I am in the minority here . . but I just don't find foam tires all that much worse to deal with than rubbing the gunk off my rubber TC tires after a run. I mean it's not like motor spray is all that healthy either, nor traction compound. For that matter it's not all that healthy to breath in the burnt motors from 17.5 TC classes either . . .
mupchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 04:50 PM   #595
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart View Post
I am all for spec tires in 1/12 but please include modified as well.
x4

AE / Reedy / ApexRCproshop
Futaba / BSR tires / Protoform / CR Graphics / Total-RC / ProSpec / Leespeed / 2mm designs
Keven H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 05:06 PM   #596
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

A spec tire for 1/12 would be a great step forward. I hate dragging a tote full of tires to every race. Sign me up!
Old 10-22-2014, 05:18 PM   #597
Tech Elite

I prefer the idea of handouts only because handouts will generally come from the same batch. Also, it gives the hoist venue a chance to make some money from tire sales while the racer pays less.
Old 10-22-2014, 06:27 PM   #598
Tech Addict

I think the NORCAR group has a fantastic class to base a "Spec", "Amateur" or "Sportsman" class on. It could feature handout tires and motors.

Class: 1/12 scale “Gate Spec”

Motor/Rotor: Speed Passion 21.5 (P/N 138215V3)
ESC: Any ROAR approved non-timing ESC in its approved “Blinky” mode.
Battery: Turnigy “A-Spec” 6000 or 5600 mah 1s.
Gearing: 45t pinion and 78t spur.
Tires/Rims: CRC Spec pre-trued.
Body: Open 1/12
Maximum Battery Voltage: 4.20v
Minimum Ground Clearance: 3mm
Minimum Weight: 730g
Maximum Width: 172mm
Minimum Body Height/Wing:
Other:

1/12th scale, just 1/12th scale.
I love to go like hell for 8 minutes.
RacinJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 07:04 PM   #599
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 69 (100%+)

Hi all, Scotty posted this on Facebook and since he hasn't figured out how to reset his password yet I thought I would paste it here for those who don't do Facebook.

Home from an amazing week at the 10th running of the IIC. Hard to believe it has been 10 years. As Charlie coined the phrase " The Decade Edition" A Decade of racing on the Strip. Over 400 entries and if we did not close registration a couple of weeks before the event who knows how many entries would have come in. Bigger is not always better!

It takes 3 parts to make the IIC a success and all 3 of these parts have to work hand in hand to make a great experience. First it is our team. I cant thank them enough for their hard work. Boomer, Kraig, JT, Charlie, Walt, Jodi, Kurt, Pat, Everett, Johnson, Edgar, Danny, Scott, Mark, Gus, Vaughn, Lorie and Suzy, These guys and gals put in long long days to make sure everything clicks just right. I appreciate their dedication and words cannot express my gratitude to them. Garrett from 702 Raceway, you have also been a tremendous help through the years and your support before, during and after is a asset to the team.

Part 2 is the sponsors. I have said it for many years at all our events. I am so proud and honored that the industry embraces our events and gives us support to make something special for the industry. The trust they give to us to produce a world class quality event is something we don't take for granted.

Here is a list of all our sponsors who made the IIC possible.Thank you goes to TEKIN for being our Title Sponsor, They believe in what we are doing and have supported us for many years. GRAVITY RC, TAMIYA, TUNING HAUS, ORCA, ARC, HOBBYWING, HOBBICO, PROTOFORM, CRC, JACO, BSR, SXT, RC TRIM, THUNDER POWER, EA MOTORSPORTS, REEDY, APEX RC, TOP, HOT BODIES, MUCH MORE, FUTABA, TEAM DURANGO, TRAK POWER, F1 RC LAB, SPEED MERCHANT, DISCOUNT RC STORE, SAVOX, TEAM POWERS, AWESOMATIX, XENON, RC AMERICA, VIPER, LEESPEED, SWEEP, TIMEZONE HOBBIES.COM, R1 WURKS.COM, TQ WIRE, AVID, PROLEVEL, PRO SPEC. P 1 BRAND.COM, AMP DRAW HOBBIES, BOOMERZ WORLD.COM, RC SCORING PRO, LIVERC.COM.

All those companies believed in the IIC and our goal to give the Sponsors, racers and the industry the best event we can and I cant thank them enough for their support.

Part 3 are the racers and families who joined us again this year. It is very humbling to me that so many racers will take time from their busy lives to join us for the IIC. We had 20 people who have attended all 10 years of the IIC. And double that who have attended 9 years and only missed 1. Of course our goal is to give everyone the best experience they can have at an RC Race and we hope with all the meals, drinks, exact time schedule for each day and wonderful awards. No matter if you finished first or last, you walked away having a good time and hopefully making some new friends.

We are all very fortunate to be involved in such a great hobby and even if it is only once a year we get to reconnect with the friends we have made from around the world, that is truly what this hobby is all about. Friendship and fun.

NEXT YEARS DATES ARE PLANNED FOR OCT 19-24 2015.

Thank you everyone for a remarkable and memorable 10 years.

Sincerely,
Scotty

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.

Sometimes I post just to look at my avatar.
Kraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 08:01 PM   #600
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)
Default Spec Tire

Don't some cars like the Yokomo require the use of Yokomo specific rims because of the offset? Could someone explain who is pushing for the spec tire? Is it the race promotor or the racers?