R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-04-2014, 09:17 PM   #391
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Way brilliant! Even if it did come from Andrew...
Old 10-05-2014, 05:04 AM   #392
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.Fairtrace View Post
I have a suggestion. If you dont want to have huge lines or angry people. Andrew Dougherty made this suggestion at our Roar nats.

Hand out tickets and call numbers for people to come to motor tech. Call people 3 at a time and then you wont have huge lines of people wasting their time. When there is 1 person left from the 3 call another 3.

By the look of the entry list there will be upwards of 700 motors to tech. At a minute a piece that is over 10 hours. You probably see where I'm going with this.

Again just a suggestion but something to think about.
If it's done correctly, it can work. I was at the ROAR Nats in Palm Beach 2years ago and they drew tickets, and it was more infuriating than the long lines at Jackson for your Nats. In Palm Beach, they wouldn't move ahead to the next ticket until the previous ticket was looked at. There would be no one at motor tech and the official would say "we're still waiting for ticket #xxx". Also I think you're being very generous in the amount of time to tech the motors, I would say it's closer to 3 per motor. Some folks have never torn down their motors, they're gonna be struggling at the tech table.

Let's be honest here. We're really only concerned with the top 20 guys in each of these "stock" classes. Let's randomly impound their cars after the heat seeding and qualifiers. Everyone else is just there to play for a week. Adding levels of tech adds frustration to the racers who just want have fun.
ground-round is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 07:15 AM   #393
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ground-round View Post
If it's done correctly, it can work. I was at the ROAR Nats in Palm Beach 2years ago and they drew tickets, and it was more infuriating than the long lines at Jackson for your Nats. In Palm Beach, they wouldn't move ahead to the next ticket until the previous ticket was looked at. There would be no one at motor tech and the official would say "we're still waiting for ticket #xxx". Also I think you're being very generous in the amount of time to tech the motors, I would say it's closer to 3 per motor. Some folks have never torn down their motors, they're gonna be struggling at the tech table.

Let's be honest here. We're really only concerned with the top 20 guys in each of these "stock" classes. Let's randomly impound their cars after the heat seeding and qualifiers. Everyone else is just there to play for a week. Adding levels of tech adds frustration to the racers who just want have fun.
Yea, only the top 20 have a shot at winning. I may not be in the top 20, but I still want a fair race. I don't want to be beat by somebody that is cheating. I deserve the same right to a fair race as everybody else. Cheaters can exist at all abilities.
Driving: Xray T4 2015, T.O.P. Rebel 12, Durango DEX8T, Durango DEX408 v2, Associated B5M, Associated B44.2
rc_speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 08:18 AM   #394
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to cneyedog

Quote:
I have a suggestion. If you dont want to have huge lines or angry people. Andrew Dougherty made this suggestion at our Roar nats.

Hand out tickets and call numbers for people to come to motor tech. Call people 3 at a time and then you wont have huge lines of people wasting their time. When there is 1 person left from the 3 call another 3.

By the look of the entry list there will be upwards of 700 motors to tech. At a minute a piece that is over 10 hours. You probably see where I'm going with this.

Thats ok, assuming people with tickets are paying attention ........ my suggestion would be meter all the motors ...... if they are "suspect" please proceed to the next line for a teardown .........but I will follow the motor tech rules posted of course......... anyway it happens see you savages in just over a week.

Kraig, can we bring the motor to tech unassembled in a bag,have the components checked and then reassemble and be sealed at tech ? ...... this might same some time in line ?

Rich Boehmler
cneyedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 08:30 AM   #395
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cneyedog View Post
Thats ok, assuming people with tickets are paying attention ........ my suggestion would be meter all the motors ...... if they are "suspect" please proceed to the next line for a teardown .........but I will follow the motor tech rules posted of course......... anyway it happens see you savages in just over a week.

Kraig, can we bring the motor to tech unassembled in a bag,have the components checked and then reassemble and be sealed at tech ? ...... this might same some time in line ?

Rich Boehmler
Metering stators, does not weed out mod rotors
However Snowbirds motor tech worked, it was fairly effiecient

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing."
― Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr.
RedBullFiXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 08:32 AM   #396
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 69 (100%+)

Quote:

Rich Boehmler
Yes, motors are to be disassembled before arriving to tech. This will allow us to perform our checks quickly and then you can move to another table and reassemble them and we will then complete the paperwork on our end. If anyone has problems there will be plenty of expert motor guys on hand to help everyone.

Quote:

I understand what you are saying but I don't want people to sit around waiting for their number to be called to come to tech. I mean we can do it but do you want to wait two hours before that happens? Maybe we should go alphabetical order but start at the letter "L".

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.

Sometimes I post just to look at my avatar.
Kraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 08:34 AM   #397
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraig View Post
Motor check-in procedure

In order to continue to provide a fun and fair event we are implementing a new procedure for motors. The goal is for everyone to walk away from the event with a feeling that everyone is treated fairly, no special favors were given and that you had a great time!

How this process will work is as follows:
The motor check will be done outside of the check-in process which means it will be done in a separate area.
You can check your motors in during the check-in day.
All 13.5, 21.5 and 17.5 turn motors will need to be checked.
Upon presenting your motor for checking it shall already be disassembled and you will be required to bring all of the components needed to reassemble the motor, wrench, shims, etc.
The motor will be reassembled, by you, in the motor check area in front of an IIC Official.
Upon completion of assembly, your motor will be marked, tagged, and/or have a unique identifier placed on it.
Once a motor is marked it cannot be disassembled.

Things to remember:
Only motors which have gone through the check-in process maybe used during the event.
You will be able to check your motors during registration time and and schedule times during the event.
A motor can be subjected to additional teardown for further inspection.
Anyone using a motor that has not been processed through this procedure will have their run disqualified.

In the event of motor failure, it is up to the race director and/or event promoter to make the decision on how to replace or repair the motor.

Please help spread the word.

Sorry for the late notice!

There are a few changes.

You will be able to check your motors during registration time and and schedule times during the event.
The amount of motors you can have checked has been lifted.

You guys and girls have enough stress already. This should ease some of it.

You never know when it will strike, but there comes a moment at work when you know that you just aren't going to do anything productive for the rest of the day.

Old 10-05-2014, 08:48 AM   #398
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to L.Fairtrace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraig View Post
Yes, motors are to be disassembled before arriving to tech. This will allow us to perform our checks quickly and then you can move to another table and reassemble them and we will then complete the paperwork on our end. If anyone has problems there will be plenty of expert motor guys on hand to help everyone.

I understand what you are saying but I don't want people to sit around waiting for their number to be called to come to tech. I mean we can do it but do you want to wait two hours before that happens? Maybe we should go alphabetical order but start at the letter "L".

Kraig. How about this. People come and pick their numbers only when they are going to be there for a while. Then they get pulled in the order in which they were picked. So essentially its like you are waiting in line without having to stand there with 9 motors in your hand.

Horsham RC. Where champions practice Failing. I'm your everything.....
L.Fairtrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 09:06 AM   #399
Super Moderator

Quote:
Kraig. How about this. People come and pick their numbers only when they are going to be there for a while. Then they get pulled in the order in which they were picked. So essentially its like you are waiting in line without having to stand there with 9 motors in your hand.
Ok, just to make sure I understood you correctly. You pick a ticket and then you tell us which time slot you will make yourself available and we will call your ticket number during that scheduled time.

Old 10-05-2014, 01:03 PM   #400
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to cneyedog

Kraig, can we use credit cards for tires etc at check in ?
cneyedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 01:25 PM   #401
Tech Elite

Quote:

This method worked like a miracle at the Horsham Carpet Nats. Yes, people have to pay a modicum of attention but it eliminated the lines and made the event more enjoyable.

Kraig, please consider doing this
Old 10-05-2014, 01:27 PM   #402
Tech Elite

Quote:
good, +1
Old 10-05-2014, 02:05 PM   #403
FMW
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

WOW!

Can't wait to see how this motor inspection works out. Good times =)
FMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 03:14 PM   #404
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Cool Live from Las Vegas !

They said it couldn't be done

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

It would be nice to see most of these racers back for the 10th annual event
+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing."
― Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr.
RedBullFiXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 03:15 PM   #405
Super Moderator

Quote:
Kraig, can we use credit cards for tires etc at check in ?
Yes sir.