Community
Wiki Posts
Search

need advice/opinions

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2014, 11:04 PM
Tech Fanatic

Default need advice/opinions

I have been racing short course off road for about he last three years. The track that I have been racing at for the last year is being rebuilt and by the time they get it done it will be 2 months of racing. So we are considering moving to plan B. I've never raced on road and don't know much about the equipment and am considering getting rid of my off road stuff. What would the recommendation for a first time on road car be. Around here they run a mini and some touring car stuff.
Old 06-03-2014, 12:50 AM
Tech Elite

Get a Tamiya mini and take it from there. Upside you can get it for very little money (heck you can even buy an XB kit ready to go). That'll give you a taste of on road and if you don't like it you will not be out of pocket a lot. It will also give you a chance to see what the locals run, what is best supported in your area/at your club and you'll be better informed to make a decision later if and when you decide to go for a TC.

Factor in some big initial expenditure if you want to go top of the range TC car and radio gear (not much change from about 3k$ including tools - you will need to get some stuff you may not have needed in off road).

Second hand stuff can be quite cheap though, but again, you're in a better position to decide once you go to the club, you might even find someone selling their gear there.

Good luck and enjoy.
Old 06-03-2014, 07:30 AM
Tech Fanatic

thank you for the advice. It's exactly what I was thinking, but was hesitant because of my previous experience and thought I might be bored off the bat.
Old 06-03-2014, 07:34 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 165 (100%+)

A Tamiya Mini is fun, but the cost to make one run right for racing is high. You might be better off buying a budget sedan like the new Spec-R S2 chassis. Your electronics from off-road should easily fit and tires and bodies for a sedan are cheaper than for the Mini.

Last edited by SteveM; 06-04-2014 at 05:00 AM.
Old 06-03-2014, 08:29 AM
Tech Elite

That need not be the case. Fun can be had without being competitive and ultimately that is what it's all about. Falling into the mini tire choice trap is easy, but local advice trackside should help avoid that.
Old 06-03-2014, 11:34 PM
Suspended

Get a Tamiya mini, I think it's nice and very cheap...

Last edited by lindalonger; 06-05-2014 at 08:02 PM.
Old 06-04-2014, 04:49 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Do not spend a dime initially. Go to the track you plan on racing/practicing and see what classes they have. Ask a lot of questions. It makes no sense to buy a car and electronics if there is no class for it.
Old 06-04-2014, 06:36 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

A nice mini will still run you 250+ for just the kit,body, tires, etc. Out could get a ta06 pro for just a little more
Old 06-04-2014, 06:57 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by SouthFloridaApp
Do not spend a dime initially. Go to the track you plan on racing/practicing and see what classes they have. Ask a lot of questions. It makes no sense to buy a car and electronics if there is no class for it.
+1.

See what the others are using first, always

If you're going to invest in a new class, do the local research and it right first time.
Old 06-04-2014, 07:20 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by ThePanda
A nice mini will still run you 250+ for just the kit,body, tires, etc. Out could get a ta06 pro for just a little more
True, but TA06 is a car that deosn't fit anywhere, whereas the OP said the local club has a mini class. Which I took as proof they did their research already. But yes, a good idea is to just go along for a club night or five and see what's what.
Old 06-04-2014, 07:40 AM
Tech Fanatic

There are a few people who run on and off road. I think that I might just head over to another on road race and ask some questions. See, the problem is that there is no indoor offroad racing around here because the real estate is too expensive. I suggested that somebody (like a hobby shop) make and indoor track and they said it would cost $18K per month. Welcome to Calgary. Like South Florida said it makes no sense to invest in something that they don't run. It's just really getting frustrating because I bought a new SC 4x4 in December and it hasn't seen a track yet.
Old 06-04-2014, 08:58 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I assume you are looking at racing at karz.

Some odd official classes there by the looks of things http://karz.ca/karzcalgary/Classes_and_Rules.html

Their mini class uses ORCA Q Spark ESC, but they don't say which motor. They just say combo. Huh?

In their photos, they obviously race TC, but don't list it as a class. They do list 2wd buggy as a class.

Someone over there needs to lay off the crack.

Anyway, good luck.
If they have good turnouts for CTA (we call it CVTA in Ontario) I'd suggest that as a first class. Much easier to change from that to another TC class if you ever decide to. Also easier to sell a TC than a mini. Choice of chassis and electronics really depends on how much you feel like spending. You could probably build one for under $500 or spend over $1500.
Old 06-04-2014, 09:04 AM
Tech Champion

A ta06 would make an excellent vta, 17.5, or 21.5 car. But if mini is your thing look for a m05 pro or wait for tamiya and the m05 v2
Old 06-04-2014, 09:21 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ThePanda
A ta06 would make an excellent vta, 17.5, or 21.5 car. But if mini is your thing look for a m05 pro or wait for tamiya and the m05 v2
There are probably a dozen less expensive cars that I would suggest buying instead of a ta06.
Old 06-04-2014, 09:27 AM
Tech Champion

A dozen?

Do any of those cars come with that feeling that you only get from a tamiya model? Plus the nicest shocks out there for rc.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.