Community
Wiki Posts
Search

witch tire glue in competions?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2014, 12:57 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by RaceDayHobbies
Almost all CA glues take 24 hours to reach full holding strength. That may be why you are having to re-glue your tires after every run. Another issue is shelf life. They almost all have a shelf life of 1 year if un-opened and only 1 month once opened. So the older the glue the weaker the joint will be.
Fresh CA glue, I didnt know that it went off that quickly!!!!

I have just gone through an extensive (and expensive) 'R and D program' (Race and Destroy program). I clean the bead of the tyres and the rim with paint thinners, fit the tyre to the im and then lift the bead off the tyre and put a lot of CA deep in the channel. 24 hr cure time always, I never repair a tyre at the track unless it is control of course.
I was losing rubber of my modified car pretty regularly and came up with the proceedure and no rubber coming off since. I am using muchmore pre-mounts.
Old 06-12-2014, 10:54 AM
Tech Adept

Here is what Wikipedia says about self live a CA glues.
Cyanoacrylate adhesives have a short shelf life. Date-stamped containers help to ensure that the adhesive is still viable. One manufacturer supplies the following information and advice: when kept unopened in a cool, dry location such as a refrigerator at a temperature of about 55 °F (13 °C), the shelf life of cyanoacrylate will be extended from about one year from manufacture to at least 15 months. If the adhesive is to be used within six months, it is not necessary to refrigerate it. Cyanoacrylates are moisture-sensitive, and moving from a cool to a hot location will create condensation; after removing from the refrigerator, it is best to let the adhesive reach room temperature before opening. After opening, it should be used within 30 days. Open containers should not be refrigerated.[26] Another manufacturer says that the maximum shelf life of 12 months is obtained for some of their cyanoacrylates if the original containers are stored at 35 to 40 °F (2 to 4 °C).[27] User forums and some manufacturers say that an almost unlimited shelf life is attainable by storing unopened at −20 °C (−4 °F), the typical temperature of a domestic freezer, and allowing to reach room temperature before use.[28] (Rechilling an opened container is not advisable as it will cause moisture from the air to condense in the container, causing deterioration.)

As cyanoacrylates age they polymerize, become thicker, and cure more slowly. They can be thinned with a cyanoacrylate of the same chemical composition with lower viscosity.

In a past life I had to deal with CA alot on a project and this seems to match up what the different manufactures I dealt with said.

The interesting thing is to let the glue warm up after the frig so you don't get condensation. I knew they used moisture to cure but didn't think about condensation.
Old 06-12-2014, 01:31 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I assume we're talking rubber tire here.

I like AKA med for gluing tires, AKA thin for touch ups and gluing sidewalls if needed.

Use kicker if in a rush, but seems to weaken the cure.
Old 06-12-2014, 03:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bigfatslob
Elmers is my first choice, yellow OR white
Am I doing it right? It does say "Rubber"

Just kidding...Seriously, don't do this.
Attached Thumbnails witch tire glue in competions?-elmers.jpg  
Old 06-14-2014, 11:14 AM
Tech Adept

Post Re:

Despite which brand of CA is being used, rim and tire prep is just as important - plus the use of tire gluing bands. Also, don't forget to let the CA fully cure before using the wheels.

From personal experience; Muchmore is my preferred CA for tire gluing. Keep it in the fridge once opened to prolong its lifespan - had mine for 6 months in fridge and still getting excellent adhesion.

Hope this helps.