R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   New to on road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/815324-new-road.html)

bigs 05-24-2014 02:05 PM

New to on road

I have never owned a on road car but I found a new in the box tc5 for a great deal. But did not know if I should just buy the tc6.2 please help.

LasagnaCat 05-24-2014 02:08 PM

Are you racing? If so, what class?

Which version TC5?

bigs 05-24-2014 02:13 PM

Yes we will be racing and will be running 17.5

Odin544 05-24-2014 02:34 PM

Whats "a great deal"? How serious about racing are you? Whats your skill as a driver?

There are a lot of questions to ask yourself before deciding on a car. An older car may seem like a deal but there are a lot of things that come with that. Lack of support from other drivers running the same car. Lack of parts support. Smaller setup window. the list goes on.

Most newer cars have larger setup windows. There is nothing more frustrating than a TC that isn't setup properly and not knowing what to change to improve it. I've seen a lot of people quit racing because of it. A newer car won't necessarily make you faster. But it can make your life easier when you are at the track trying to enjoy your time there.

OVA 05-24-2014 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by Odin544 (Post 13286521)
Whats "a great deal"? How serious about racing are you? Whats your skill as a driver?

There are a lot of questions to ask yourself before deciding on a car. An older car may seem like a deal but there are a lot of things that come with that. Lack of support from other drivers running the same car. Lack of parts support. Smaller setup window. the list goes on.

Most newer cars have larger setup windows. There is nothing more frustrating than a TC that isn't setup properly and not knowing what to change to improve it. I've seen a lot of people quit racing because of it. A newer car won't necessarily make you faster. But it can make your life easier when you are at the track trying to enjoy your time there.

1+

mikel33 05-24-2014 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by Odin544 (Post 13286521)

+1, and I would also add that you should check what's popular at your local track and what brands does your local shop support - always nice to have parts on the wall if you need them (and to support your local shop)? If you're new to on road and the only person running a particular chassis that just makes it all that much harder.

farmbridge2404 05-24-2014 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by bigs (Post 13286484)
I have never owned a on road car but I found a new in the box tc5 for a great deal. But did not know if I should just buy the tc6.2 please help.

The latter is a wiser choice.

bigs 05-25-2014 06:59 PM

I have 25 years experience racing off Road. The local off-road track has closed down, there will be a few of us getting together to run on the road. I don't know how serious it will get I just was asking for advice. Thank you for all your help.

kaan 05-25-2014 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by bigs (Post 13288713)
I have 25 years experience racing off Road. The local off-road track has closed down, there will be a few of us getting together to run on the road. I don't know how serious it will get I just was asking for advice. Thank you for all your help.

In that case you can just use the same criteria you use when buying off-road cars. Likely your taste in cars haven't changed.