Wiki Posts
Search

Project RC BMW ///M3

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2014, 06:45 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

M235i,

Nice grill work on the rally car. Did you install the radiator yourself? Are those 1/10 foams on the Audi? They look good.

Viper Z,

Delta Plastik makes the body. They make the 1/8 red porsche in my album as well. The Ayrton Senna model—is that a metal kit you put together?
Old 08-04-2014, 08:09 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by M235i
thanks for the kind words ViperZ ! The rally car is coming along just needs some rally blocks , too many people do subaru rally cars so I decided to give the evo a shot as well. Passed by my lhs and got a hold of some 3mm offset front foams for the micro , looks better.
I am really into offroad and scalers/crawlers but u guys have me looking more and more into onroads lol ..... first 3 pics are o foams , last 2 are on the drift wheels/tires =)

Yeah, the Evo is a rare one to be sure! The detail on the 1/24 R8 is amazing. Who makes the kit again? I have a 1/10 decal sheet for the same car

Originally Posted by Evo 13

Viper Z,

Delta Plastik makes the body. They make the 1/8 red porsche in my album as well. The Ayrton Senna model—is that a metal kit you put together?
Ah, that makes sense... I'm not a big fan of Delta Plastik, bodies, they seem just a bit off.. However they do make the rarer bodies, so if a person is wanting one, thats about the only choice..

Yes, the MP4/7 McLaren Honda is a Tameo kit built form white metal. They are amazing kits and if you are ever wanting to build one, I highly recommend it. They model very specific cars from specific campaigns. That MP4/7 is the car Senna raced in the 1992 British Gran Prix.

Here is what the kit would have looked like minus the photo etched parts and decals. Note the decals are the real work in building these smaller scale kits as they require work and lots of decalsolve to get right.

http://www.tameokits.com/en/

I ordered the ESC and motor for the TC6.2. I went with another Tekin RS Gen2 controller and a Tekin 13.5 turn motor. I was wanting a RSX but thought it was overkill for my application.
Old 08-04-2014, 09:31 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by ViperZ
Yeah, the Evo is a rare one to be sure! The detail on the 1/24 R8 is amazing. Who makes the kit again? I have a 1/10 decal sheet for the same car

Ah, that makes sense... I'm not a big fan of Delta Plastik, bodies, they seem just a bit off.. However they do make the rarer bodies, so if a person is wanting one, thats about the only choice..

Yes, the MP4/7 McLaren Honda is a Tameo kit built form white metal. They are amazing kits and if you are ever wanting to build one, I highly recommend it. They model very specific cars from specific campaigns. That MP4/7 is the car Senna raced in the 1992 British Gran Prix.

Here is what the kit would have looked like minus the photo etched parts and decals. Note the decals are the real work in building these smaller scale kits as they require work and lots of decalsolve to get right.

http://www.tameokits.com/en/

I ordered the ESC and motor for the TC6.2. I went with another Tekin RS Gen2 controller and a Tekin 13.5 turn motor. I was wanting a RSX but thought it was overkill for my application.
That is simply amazing. I bookmarked that site and will keep it on file. I never saw an all metal kit like that before. Like you eluded too, I can see the real skill required for these builds are in the detailing.

I agree, I'm not a big fan of Delta Plastik either. I've noticed that there shells are indeed off a bit on dimensions, but for the 977, its better than running those ugly a** lola bodies. Its unfortunate, I like the 977 chassis more then any other car but the body selection is the absolute worse. I even considered building one of those vacuum forming machines just to make my own shells for it. I have the BMW M1 (Delta Plastik) body on it, but still not too thrilled with it. The 1/10 cars have the best bodies and hence explains why I've been investing so much time there.

Have you run 4s in a 1/10 before? Im thinking about giving it a shot in a 2nd 747e with a slightly bigger Poseidon motor. This will go with the AMG shell, in maybe a (light copper color). Its weird, since I've been in this hobby, I've always built the cars completely in my head before ever attempting to do so physically. I guess this is my design phase.
Old 08-04-2014, 09:32 PM
Tech Addict

M235, off road and crawlers...? I would like to build a crawler, just to build, I like building. For off road, versus On road, off road is fun too! I've always been more on road, but have owned a few off roads in my day. My current off roads would be my Slash Ultimate, and my Rally. My buddy with a Summit has been after me to get one or a ERevo. I would like to build a SC10 truck, but then I would have to go racing there as well, and I'm mainly a basher...

This is the Slash Ultimate.

Here is it with snow tracks

From Top: Ultimate, Rally/GT8, Rally (was under construction at time)

Completed Rally

It's heavily modified as it seems are all my Traxxas cars

Slash Ultimate
  • STRC Blue Shock Towers
  • TRX CVD Drive Shafts
  • TRX 17mm Hubs
  • Hot Racing HD Metallic Slipper Clutch
  • Hot Racing Aluminum Motor Mount
  • VG Racing Chassis Brace
  • STRC Steering Servo Saver
  • RPM Lower A Arms
  • RPM Rod Ends
  • Castle Creations Mamba Monster 2 ESC
  • Castle Creations 1415 2400 Kv Motor
  • Savox SW-1211 Water proof High Speed Servo
  • Futaba R304SB Telemetry Receiver
  • TRX Extended Battery Mount
  • VG Chassis Brace
  • RPM Front and Back Bumpers
  • RPM Mud Flaps
  • RPM Front and Back Light Buckets
  • LED Light Module with Brake lights

Rally-1
  • Dyed Chassis Black
  • XO-1 Shock Towers
  • E Revo GTR Shocks
  • STRC Aluminum Caster Blocks
  • STRC Bearing Carriers Front & Back
  • MIP XD CVD Drive Shafts
  • MIP 17mm Hubs
  • STRC Motor Mount Plate
  • Tecknos Big Bone Drive Shaft
  • TRX Sway Bars
  • Proline Protrac Widened Lower A Arms
  • RPM Rod Ends
  • T-Works Titanium Extended Turnbuckles
  • Castle Creations 1512 2650 Kv Motor
  • Patriot Water proof High Torque Servo

Rally-2
  • Dyed Chassis Black
  • STRC Gun Metal Shock Towers
  • Proline Prospec Shocks
  • X0-1 Aluminum Caster Blocks
  • XO-1 Bearing Carriers Front & Back
  • XO-1 CVD Drive Shafts
  • XO-1 17mm Hubs
  • Hot Racing Sway Bars
  • RPM Lower A Arms
  • RPM Rod Ends
  • Castle Creations 1512 2650 Kv Motor
  • Savox SW-1211 Water proof High Speed Servo

Last edited by ViperZ; 08-04-2014 at 09:43 PM.
Old 08-05-2014, 06:24 AM
Tech Apprentice

@evo13 , yes the intercooler is part of an hpi tuner kit I fitted on the tc4 , also includes various mirrors and the exhaust, and the foams are 1/27 foams ,
@viperz , offroading is another passion of mine , currently have about 15 or so r/c off road trucks , your slash is awsome!!! , im waiting for my slash chassis to get beatup so I can dye a new one =) love the black and green , u need a monster energy theme body , that would be nice, the kit is a Atomic AMZ 1/27 its fairly new kit, the audi body is a kyosho autoscale body, I attached pics of my scale rc4wd trail finder jeep edition trail rig , its all hand polished aluminum , leaf spring , bta steering setup, holmes hobbies hand wound 35t, a holmes brxl esc , yes 6s capable !!!! billet dick cepek wheels on rc4wd tires , hummer h3 hardbody is missing leds to finish and put my light covers on, lotsss of work into this rig , even made a roof rack out of aluminum for it, and the battery tray is diamond plate painted black to keep it stealthy....also my cr01 project with the clear fj40 body , picked up last week of craigslist
Attached Thumbnails Project RC BMW ///M3-20140805_070718.jpg   Project RC BMW ///M3-20140805_070654.jpg   Project RC BMW ///M3-20140805_070627.jpg   Project RC BMW ///M3-20140805_071134.jpeg   Project RC BMW ///M3-20140805_070539.jpg  

Last edited by M235i; 08-05-2014 at 06:59 AM.
Old 08-05-2014, 07:11 AM
Tech Apprentice

My exo , has vanquish motor mount / center diff mount , threat motorsports hingepinsand toeblocks, threat motorsports shock relocation , proline shocks all around , rpm arms all around , sc401 4 pole , hobbywing 4s esc, blitz HD cvds, etc etc
Attached Thumbnails Project RC BMW ///M3-20140620_103001.jpg   Project RC BMW ///M3-20140620_102829.jpg   Project RC BMW ///M3-20140620_102756.jpeg   Project RC BMW ///M3-20140620_201732.jpeg   Project RC BMW ///M3-20140619_222421.jpg  

Old 08-05-2014, 07:19 AM
Tech Apprentice

I love short course trucks as well !!! My favorite are my 1/5th losi 5ive T and the team associated 1/8 sc8.2e !! Very realistic both have full cages stock to boot !!
Attached Thumbnails Project RC BMW ///M3-2014-06-24-11.12.48.jpg   Project RC BMW ///M3-2014-05-24_13.59.15.jpg   Project RC BMW ///M3-2014-03-05_18.24.20.jpg   Project RC BMW ///M3-2014-03-19_10.43.12.jpeg   Project RC BMW ///M3-2014-03-24_18.20.03.jpeg  

Old 08-05-2014, 07:27 AM
Tech Apprentice

@viperz ive had many erevos , but they get unreliable on 6s , so I built me a bullet proof losi lst xxl , everything from tini diff gears too the 480oz in steering servo , the green one is my last erevo I sold with a summit high/low transmission
Attached Thumbnails Project RC BMW ///M3-2014-01-04_21.20.56.jpeg   Project RC BMW ///M3-2014-03-02_15.54.32.jpg   Project RC BMW ///M3-2014-03-02_15.53.55.jpeg   Project RC BMW ///M3-2014-01-18_20.41.11.jpeg   Project RC BMW ///M3-2013-02-02_22.04.43.jpeg  

Old 08-05-2014, 07:57 AM
Tech Apprentice

My slash 4x4 is also a ultimate , has kingsheadz motor/diff mount , HR motor plate , x01 diffs front and rear , traxxas cvds front and rear , rpm arms all around , mamba monster esc , onyx 2350kv, rpm bumpers front and rear , strc front and rear shock towers , savox servo , strc bellcranks, rpm bellcrank skid plate , lundsford titanium hinge pins , thats all off the top of my head , my losi comp crawler has too much too list lol 17.5 tekin sensored on worm axles =) , stampede 4x4 is nicely equipped as well , similar to my slash , the savage xs is stock its a lil 60mph meteorite. Lol , well ill stop posting up my offroaders , just a lil insight into my world =)
Attached Thumbnails Project RC BMW ///M3-20140622_153828.jpg   Project RC BMW ///M3-2013-07-20_19.22.38.jpg   Project RC BMW ///M3-2014-02-01_16.05.11.jpeg   Project RC BMW ///M3-2013-12-27_19.51.20.jpg   Project RC BMW ///M3-2013-01-19_17.15.48.jpg  

Old 08-05-2014, 09:50 AM
Tech Addict

Ha,Ha that's insane M235i! Now I don't feel so bad about my 8 RC Cars, 12 airplanes (2 still in the box) and ~6 helicopters

That looks like some serious hardware there. I will check it out better when I get home, however I'm liking what I'm seeing!

@Evo, no I hand not ran a 4s in a 1/10. The biggest is a3s in my HPI Sprint to. It was insanely fast at 73mph, and was experienceing a few blow overs from air getting under it while taking on a bump. One time it slid on its deck for what felt like 100 yards! I know it was less, but it just felt like that I have a video I can post if I find it.

The 1/10 just seems a bit small for unsmooth parking lots speed runs. The 1/8ths seem better suited for that. I'm with you on the scale looks. That's what has brought me back to 1/10th is the body selection!

Your SLS is going to be wicked to be sure! I'm looking forward to the 4s in it and how it responds. Should be nice if you have a smooth running surface.
Old 08-05-2014, 07:32 PM
Tech Addict

There are not enough words to describe your collection M235i!! V ery Nice!

I particularly like that EXO and those bigger scale trucks! I never thought of looking at the AE 1/8 SCT..... I wasn't a real fan of rock crawlers as something to play with, but I have a new appreciations for them and can see the appeal. Its as if its was right under my nose as something I would like to have to source parts, construct and tinker with!

Nice work on the Atomic R8, that's a nice one to be sure. I received my BMW bodies from Tower Hobbies. The 2002 is one nice unit that I will need to spend some time on to get the right 225mm chassis for in the short term, however I will need to look more into some of the same models you have.

Good to know your thought son the E Revo. I have driven my friends Summit many times. HE has the MM2 wt 2200kv in it, it is a blast to play with.
Old 08-05-2014, 08:48 PM
Tech Apprentice

@viperz, thank you for the kind words, can't wait for you motor/esc to get here and see what your going to do with the new bmw"s, that 225mm wheelbase is a tough one on the 2002 , the team associated sc8.2e was recently discontinued but amain still has them in stock , if u are thinking of getting one now would be the time ,they are tanks! they share 98% of the parts with the rc8 truggy and buggy so parts will always be around, by far the most realistic 1/8 short course around
Rock crawlers and scalers are very fun to build and you are very detail oriented i can only imagine what u will do, the atomic r8 it is a very neat car I just can't stop looking at it, has some truly amazing details. Bigger scale trucks are very fun to run my 5ive tips the scale at 45lbs but is amazing to run, glad u like my exo! Look forward to seeing more of your work and glad u liked some of mine.
@evo13 I attached a pic of the rally car without the body , I masked the lexan where the intercooler would sit before I painted the body so it is clear to see the intercooler , cutting the front of the body for the intercooler would weaken the front of the body too much
Attached Thumbnails Project RC BMW ///M3-20140727_230602.jpg  

Last edited by M235i; 08-05-2014 at 08:58 PM.
Old 08-05-2014, 10:10 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by M235i
@viperz, thank you for the kind words, can't wait for you motor/esc to get here and see what your going to do with the new bmw"s, that 225mm wheelbase is a tough one on the 2002 , the team associated sc8.2e was recently discontinued but amain still has them in stock , if u are thinking of getting one now would be the time ,they are tanks! they share 98% of the parts with the rc8 truggy and buggy so parts will always be around, by far the most realistic 1/8 short course around
Rock crawlers and scalers are very fun to build and you are very detail oriented i can only imagine what u will do, the atomic r8 it is a very neat car I just can't stop looking at it, has some truly amazing details. Bigger scale trucks are very fun to run my 5ive tips the scale at 45lbs but is amazing to run, glad u like my exo! Look forward to seeing more of your work and glad u liked some of mine.
@evo13 I attached a pic of the rally car without the body , I masked the lexan where the intercooler would sit before I painted the body so it is clear to see the intercooler , cutting the front of the body for the intercooler would weaken the front of the body too much
Hey man, I tip my hat off to that off road collection you got going on there. Man, those trucks look serious bro. I thought about getting an off road car for the winter, just something basic to bash around in the cold with, and now I know who to come to with my million and one questions

The rally car is looking good, and regarding the weakness of cutting out the front, I understand, and going forward, look into using aluminum wire mesh as I did on the BMW. I say that because the body actually becomes a lot stronger after you shoo goo the mesh onto it. The mesh comes in different patterns and in the aluminum color, I just painted mine black. Check out the website: I meant to show Viper Z this as well.

http://www.amaco.com/shop/product-36...etal-mesh.html

Lastly, what kv and lipo cell count are you running in that rally?
Old 08-05-2014, 10:38 PM
Tech Addict

M235i, I've been scoping out a few mini chassis that are around 220mm wheel base. They look like nice kits, I just need to see how close the 2002 will tolerate a 220mm with out being to far off. I know that 5mm doesn't seem like much but the smaller the scale, the more it looks off. I know as the HPI Sprint 2 and bodies are designed around a 255mm chassis, and the Associated TC cars are 260mm. I just fitted my E46 M3 tonight, and I had to shorten the wheel base of the car from 260 to 257mm. Its still slightly off, but close enough.

45lbs for a RC model is Huge! But I bet it has great presence while running! Good plan on not cutting the body up front for the intercooler and just masking it off. I actually did that for a Flowteck Ford Raptor for the Ultimate. I liked the body, but seeing as it was a basher, the cuts would just weaken the body.

Here is the FLoteck with the cutouts painted black or masked, not cut.

Thanks for the link to the screen Evo, they look great, with a good selection!

Here are pictures to the E46 M3 fitting. Like I said I had to shorten the wheel base to 257mm to make it look more correct. The wheels are a 3mm and 6mm offset. I mover the 6mm to the front and it's much more HElla Flush, so I need a set of 9mm wheels for the back to get that badassed look Evo's, E92 has

You can see the stack spacers to the right of the shock setting the rear arm forward

Here it is fitted

Strangely the Left side is more off than the right side judging by the back wheel, yet the front wheels are the same on either side. Variance in the mold perhaps?

Old 08-06-2014, 07:11 AM
Tech Apprentice

@evo13 thank you if u ever have a question about anything just let me know ill try my best to help its running a valineon 3500kv motor and the valineon vxl3s esc , I run it on 2s it gets a bit scary on 3s , and thank you for the link I love what u did with the vents on your m3 , I will surely do it on my next body
@viperz what chassis have u been looking at ? Perhaps I will build a 2002 project as well, the 5ive does have great presence always draws a crowd , never fails. Your flowtek raptor looks great ! My slash body is just about on its last whim , I like the proline truscale short course bodies perhaps ill pick one up someday soon...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.