Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Project RC BMW ///M3

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2014, 10:17 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I finished up my Sweep STC-6 body today. Let me say this was project was a game of constant recovery. My air brush was acting up, and the tape was lifting constantly, add to that the paint was bleeding through the other color paint, or lifting the previous coats, it was a challenge of wits to make it look okay. I find as much as I love this color, it's always been hard to get a nice consistent color coat be it rattle can or airbrush.

That aside, I have to say I love the shape, form and fitment of this Sweep body. If it handles as well as I've been told, and as good as the shape looks, I'm excited to try it.

It's not perfect, but that makes it easier to race hard with no regard.

Old 12-27-2014, 03:18 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Whoa! Viper, you nailed this one. Wow, thats sick! And I agree, the contours of that sweep body are nice. Its a 190mm? Man, I've seen a lot of racing body paint schemes, but this has got to be one of the best. Wicked!

Last edited by Evo 13; 12-27-2014 at 05:25 PM.
Old 12-27-2014, 03:57 PM
DBM
Tech Fanatic

Wow, that looks absolutely awesome! :O
Old 12-27-2014, 07:21 PM
Tech Addict

Thanks guys, it turned out okay considering. I'm going to try to improve in using this color.
Old 12-29-2014, 09:01 PM
Tech Addict

The pearl yellow LTC-R body I was running has been put to rest. Of all the bodies I've ran I've never experienced as much body tucking as I have with this one. the Lexan is so thin on it. I actually quite like the way the car handles with this body, and will paint up another one soon.

I did have a GX cut, fitted and waiting to be painted, so the following is my next practice/club racing body.

As much as I dislike Mazda TC's I like the GX more than hate it

The color is Pactra Metallic Red from a rattle can I got at Hobby Express. It was very old stock, so old it has the older labels, and was sold as is for $3 a can. It was pretty thick and inconsistent coming out, but I made it work.

I hope this works well! I've been improving in driving
Old 12-30-2014, 08:45 AM
Tech Fanatic

Funny, There is a couple of Pactra metallic red rattle cans at my LHS for sale. I fancied getting it before, to do the Merc SLS, but decided against it as I've gotten use to painting with the Tamiya cans. Nice results.
Old 12-30-2014, 09:07 AM
DBM
Tech Fanatic

If you liked how the ltcr handled but like sweep fitment/build quality, I'd recommend the sweep stc4 body. It is like an ltcr but with even more steering and less tuck issues. I have one at the track that you can look at today.
Old 12-30-2014, 09:52 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Evo 13
Funny, There is a couple of Pactra metallic red rattle cans at my LHS for sale. I fancied getting it before, to do the Merc SLS, but decided against it as I've gotten use to painting with the Tamiya cans. Nice results.
Thanks! Yeah I actually threw the can away mid stream as it was too inconsistent. I finished it up with a can of Tamiya Met Red. My luck is starting to run out

Originally Posted by DBM
If you liked how the ltcr handled but like sweep fitment/build quality, I'd recommend the sweep stc4 body. It is like an ltcr but with even more steering and less tuck issues. I have one at the track that you can look at today.
Getting to pick from your gret collection of bodies in the corner of the club I may try it out Dennis... I'm going to paint up my other Sweep STC-6 as a practice just so I can try it out.

I got my WGT 10-R5 wired up and may bring it to the club today to test run. This car harkens back to a simpler time

1S Lipo with a 13.5 Turn motor

I love the integrated power switch of the Toro ESC. I need to clean up the wires around the RX, but I want to run the car in first.
Old 12-30-2014, 11:34 AM
Tech Addict

The postman just dropped off a package for me and its a beauty!!

A new Graupner Polaron EX Charger and Power supply combo. I have been spying on these since forever and with Towers Hobbies $70 off coupon for the holidays, I couldn't resist. It came in one week too, that's service!

It's not as powerful as my iCharger 308 Duo set-up, however that is primarily for my 6s & 8s Airplanes, this is perfect for the car racing bench. I'll take it to the club today and report back on it.

Unboxing

Accessories

She's a beauty!

So far it was plug and play, however I need to remake a charge cord to eliminate the adapter board. Seems my 2s plug does not fit securely in the Polaron's 7s port
Old 12-30-2014, 12:22 PM
DBM
Tech Fanatic

A beaut is right! Super nice combo for cramped pit benches that we often encounter outside of our home track.
Old 12-30-2014, 10:49 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by DBM
A beaut is right! Super nice combo for cramped pit benches that we often encounter outside of our home track.
Right, except Moose Jaw, those benches were spacious!

What a great practice session! I didn't get a lot accomplished, rather I just tore apart and exchanged many parts on my TC6.2, hunting down the cause of the chattering noise. In the end it was the spool teeth, packed with clumps of what looked like a combination of carpet and rubber. Thanks for finding that Gary, and for all the other leads, that lead me to an eventful day with the car Now to put it back together again with all the upgrades I took off.

It was actually a fun afternoon and evening of tooling, track testing, listening to great music and stories!

The Polaron charger performed flawlessly, and was a real pleasure to use. I like the touch screen and information display of every possible parameter and characteristic of the Lipo being charged. Using it in dual port mode was so simple and much easier than other dual ports I have used. It did clear up my pit area with better arrangement, and ease of information display. The only thing I can gripe about is I noticed the 7s balance port on the charger is different from the typical balance ports. The port is thinner than typical, that's why my 2s male plug would not fit in properly. I will need to find this plug if I'm to make a 2s charge cable that does not required the balance board.

I didn't really get to play with the charger too much as I was tooling with the car all day. However what I did see, I liked.

Dennis, you are right. The Sweep STC-4 is very similar to the PF LTC-R. I found I really do like the handling of the GX in that it does stick the car to the track, although I found I could not rip through the infield section with heavy throttle as I could with the LTC-R. I had to be a bit more respectfully with the trigger, or the car would push, under steer through it. The LTC-R I could almost drift race through it

I only ran a few laps with the 10-R5. It was over geared, as such did not have a lot of punch, but it build speed PDQ, and had very little brake. It did seem very responsive in handling due to the foam tires and the lightness of the chassis. It was very fast in this regard. I need a few smaller pinions and a tune of the chassis, for the next outing. This could be a fun car.

Gary, doing club VP duties. Organizing the club loaner cars, sorting through crap and salvaging what can be used. Good Job Gary!

A Club Loaner

My newly organized bench

The GX after a few practice rounds. Only a bit of gipe

The dual mode was very easy and direct to use. Here I'm charging a 2s, a 1s and my ipod
Old 01-05-2015, 08:08 AM
Tech Fanatic

Hey Viper,

Was combing through the "Best pics of rc cars ever taken" thread and notice your Green GO DADDY car was absent. Your car is very deserving of a place in that thread!
Old 01-05-2015, 02:25 PM
Tech Fanatic

Viper, you got to check this out. Talk about creative ingenuity:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oS71LIxOppM
Old 01-05-2015, 06:57 PM
Tech Addict

Hey Viper,

Was combing through the "Best pics of rc cars ever taken" thread and notice your Green GO DADDY car was absent. Your car is very deserving of a place in that thread!
Ha, thanks Evo. I'll have to post it there then, although I'm not totally proud of it, more the photos

Viper, you got to check this out. Talk about creative ingenuity:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oS71LIxOppM
That's Great!!

So I took my showroom stock 68 Camaro SS, applied racing decals, numbers and took it Trans AM racing

It was a fun day of racing these CTA's. Gary took one of those club dinosaur Losi cars and turned it into a sort of CTA car to race in the class. He was crushing everyone with it I wished I would have got a picture of the awesome New Camaro body he had on it.

Last edited by ViperZ; 01-06-2015 at 04:11 AM. Reason: Fixed link
Old 01-06-2015, 06:45 PM
Tech Addict

Okay, this has got to be one of the sexiest things I've seen lately.... (Man I need a life )

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.