R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-28-2014, 12:36 PM   #211
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Hey guys!

Sorry, I've been away on vacation and I'm just trying to get caught up...

M, that looks like a very nice GTP2e kit you purchased. I like the DP8 body in silver, I'm sure you'll have it in tip top shape As for the motor ESC, I would recommend the Castle 1512 2650KV with Maba Monster 2 ESC, just because I have a few of these and they develop good power and seem built proof. The New Sidewinder8th also looks like a good item for a lower cost. They are sensor less systems, however for bashing that doesn't seem like much of a concern, compared to my Tekin RX8/ 2650kv Gen 2 sensored system , which I also use as a basher. Also look into Evo's suggestions as they seem like nice suggestions they may do as well.

Evo, thanks! That RC Mart looks like a good place, I have book marked it

So while I was away I got a few parts and goodies, one of them being my Cup Racer I purchased form a fellow forum member. It came packed with lots of spare parts and looks to be in great shape! It has a set of drift wheels and tires on it, which maybe interesting to try. Also included was another set of drift wheels and tires, as well as what looks like the OEM traction wheels and tires. The 510 Datsun looks so good as I sort of want to run it like this for a while.

The Box and kit

Love the JDM mirrors and the detailed bumpers

The license plate and potato launcher exhaust

Came with a servo

Box of spare parts

All the goodies

The boy is wired for lights as well, I will have to check out the look of them
Old 09-28-2014, 03:48 PM   #212
Tech Apprentice

Smile

Evo13, thank you for the suggestions those poseidon motors look very enticing. , any updates on your projects ?
ViperZ, the cup racer kit looks great love the staggered wheels and fender mirrors are sweet, thank you for the motor/esc suggestions , ill look into some
Yesterday I decided to swing by the hobbyshop to see what motor/esc 8th scale systems they had , and as I was browsing around saw yet another M wheelbase car on the shelfs , it was one of the guys who works there and knows me quite well , I asked if it was for sale and to my delight the answer was yes , after some negotiations I got it off his hands for a price I could not refuse , its a ABC Genetic, has a speed passion 10.5r, and speed passion reventon esc , sensored setup, one way in the front and rear spool , it was used for drifting, datsun 240z body and a capuccino body, the carbon fiber is laid from the inside of the body and has a wet effect very well done, the front bumper , rear bumper and side skirts are removable on the capuccino , servo is a savox Sc1257tg , just have to put my reciever in , kit is extremely clean only drifted on carpet and the bodies are in excellent shape, cant wait to run it =) it now keeps my T.O.P sabre mini fd company
Attached Thumbnails
Project RC BMW ///M3-20140928_164242.jpeg   Project RC BMW ///M3-20140928_164310.jpeg   Project RC BMW ///M3-20140928_165116.jpg   Project RC BMW ///M3-20140928_165357.jpg   Project RC BMW ///M3-20140928_165027.jpg  

traxxas stampede 4x4/traxxas slash 4x4 lcg/tamiya CR01/losi 5iveT/losi comp crawler/losi E-Lst XXL/losi micro t/team associated tc4 rally/team associated sc8.2e/team associated tc6.1/ hpi sprint 2/hpi savage xs flux/axial exo buggy/team associated mini apex/team associated sc18/rc4wd trail finder/17" proboat miss geico/vaterra kalahari

Last edited by M235i; 09-28-2014 at 04:26 PM.
M235i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 03:55 PM   #213
Tech Apprentice

Great thread and great Beemers.

Here's my latest. Rims are UV-printed in a Mimaki.

Old 09-28-2014, 07:47 PM   #214
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Hey gang,

Welcome back Viper Z, Your car looks good M235i. Fitforbattle, your car looks fit for battle, I like it a lot!

Made some wheel changes to the BMW e92. Decided to go with some wide foams. they work great.

Front foams: 31.5mm wide
Rear Foams: 44.5mm wide

wide
Mugen MBX7T ECO (Truggy)
SMC, Max Amps, LRP, Poseidon Motors, Cordova Research Motors, Xceed.
Evo 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 10:25 PM   #215
Tech Apprentice

Thanks Evo, the genetic will be a fun little racer when done, still waiting on previous owner to find some small parts., rx is in so electronics are all there now , the wider foams look great! , if there was only a way to make fender flares for the rear to flush the body to the wheels, would give it a nice touch , but awsome regardless
Nice e30 fitforbattle !
Attached Thumbnails
Project RC BMW ///M3-20140928_204308.jpg   Project RC BMW ///M3-20140928_204537.jpg   Project RC BMW ///M3-20140928_204555.jpg   Project RC BMW ///M3-20140928_213550.jpeg  
traxxas stampede 4x4/traxxas slash 4x4 lcg/tamiya CR01/losi 5iveT/losi comp crawler/losi E-Lst XXL/losi micro t/team associated tc4 rally/team associated sc8.2e/team associated tc6.1/ hpi sprint 2/hpi savage xs flux/axial exo buggy/team associated mini apex/team associated sc18/rc4wd trail finder/17" proboat miss geico/vaterra kalahari
Old 09-28-2014, 11:29 PM   #216
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by M235i View Post
Thanks Evo, the genetic will be a fun little racer when done, still waiting on previous owner to find some small parts., rx is in so electronics are all there now , the wider foams look great! , if there was only a way to make fender flares for the rear to flush the body to the wheels, would give it a nice touch , but awsome regardless
Nice e30 fitforbattle !
I agree, I tried everything I could think of to tuck the rears all the way. To tuck them this far, I had to install aftermarket shorter doggones and shave them down further with the dremel. The problem is this chassis is 200mm vs the traditional 190mm. My buddy has the same wheels on a 190mm and it is 100% flushed with his Porsche 911 body. Regardless, this thing handles really really nicely with the wide foamsóDon't think I'll ever go back to 30mm rears.
Mugen MBX7T ECO (Truggy)
Old 09-29-2014, 06:44 AM   #217
Tech Apprentice

Ahh I see evo , u might have to leave the beloved bmw body for the hpi 2012 porsche 911 gt3 rsr body , its slightly wider at 206mm front and 210mm rear , perhaps the extra 10mm will help tuck those massive foams in ? I bet the handling is way better with the wider foams
Old 09-29-2014, 10:56 AM   #218
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evo 13 View Post
I agree, I tried everything I could think of to tuck the rears all the way.
There are lexan overfenders:
http://rc-art.net/product_eng/4582264332692
10 and 7mm versions:
http://rc-art.net/product_eng/4582264330988

All made by Speed Way Pal.

You can also make your own from 50cl (don't know the number in fl. oz. sorry) PET-bottles. (Coca-cola, sprite etc.)

Then just glue with liquisole or other similar flexing glues like shoe-goo.

(Mod can delete the links if they're inappropriate. Not trying to market anything. Just a pointer to let people know they exist. I'm not in any way affiliated with the above named company or store.)
Old 09-29-2014, 02:14 PM   #219
Tech Fanatic

Thanks guys, I think im going to keep it as is. It performs really well so I could live with it.

You guys have any ideas on Gps devices I could install to track speeds? The popular Garmin forerunner 201 has been discontinued.
Mugen MBX7T ECO (Truggy)
Old 09-29-2014, 07:01 PM   #220
Tech Addict

M, that's quite the collection of M-Cars you are amassing! I'm surprised in the range of wheelbases for this class, from 210mm to 225, with bodies in all sizes... No doubt a person needs an adjustable WB car. The ABC looks good and ARR, let us know how it goes!

fitforbattle, that's a nice E30 M3 you have, I like the way it looks! Thos OZ wheels and the work you di fit it really well, nice job! Where did you get the wheels from?

Thanks for the link on the flares, I will need to look around that site for other things as well.

Evo, that car looks badassed with the wheel poke you have going on What type of surface are you running on? Are foamies that much better than rubber, or is it the width? Regardless, if it's working and you're having fun, let it rock!

For the GPS I have a Quanum that I purchased last year from Hobby King for ~$65. It plugs into your Rx and is fairly small in form factor. I have correlated it against a radar gun and it is with in usable limits.

Here it is in my XO-1

Old 09-29-2014, 07:11 PM   #221
Tech Addict

I got some cool parts for my Associated TC cars from forum member Yodog! They are his collection of custom fabricated R-Factor carbon parts.

I bought a carbon bumper brace for the TC 6.2. It strengthens the front bumper by acting as a top brace so the bumper is less cantilevered as it was OEM.

I also gat a set of carbon battery braces for the TC 6.1. I read the plastic ones are prone to breakage, so these carbon ones seem like a good idea. I like that you can adjust the placement of these to they are snug against the lipo.

The Kits

TC 6.1 Bumper Brace

Here is the OEM setup

Here is the brace installed

The Battery Brace kit and OEM TC 6.1 setup

Replaces the plastic

Nice stuff, and the price with shipping was very reasonable, Thanks Yodog!
Old 10-01-2014, 06:36 PM   #222
Tech Fanatic

[QUOTE=ViperZ;13564655]Evo, that car looks badassed with the wheel poke you have going on What type of surface are you running on? Are foamies that much better than rubber, or is it the width? Regardless, if it's working and you're having fun, let it rock!

For the GPS I have a Quanum that I purchased last year from Hobby King for ~$65. It plugs into your Rx and is fairly small in form factor. I have correlated it against a radar gun and it is with in usable limits.

This is where I run my cars:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uqlec1wUvB4

I still remember the first time I tested foams. I ran some rubber tires on my then HPI rs4 around the same ^^^ lot and then swapped on a set of foams and was amazed at the superiority of the foams. Since then
I've always chosen foams over rubber. Ballooning was another turn off with rubber. I like foams because at high speeds and in turns the car remains planted. But now with the wide foams, I can practically bully the car around and drive it much more aggressively.

Would you recommend the Quanum gps? Aesthetically I like it a lot.

Lastly, Just want to recommend to you RC guys out there to always keep a sheet of carbon in your tool kit. I broke the top deck on one of my cars 2 weeks ago in a crash and have been impatiently waiting on Serpent America to restock them. Frustrated, I got out my handy dremel and carved one out of my sheet. Not only did I save $28.00 plus shipping, but the one I made is a hell of a lot stronger than the original
Mugen MBX7T ECO (Truggy)
Old 10-04-2014, 06:45 AM   #223
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evo 13 View Post

This is where I run my cars:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uqlec1wUvB4

I still remember the first time I tested foams. I ran some rubber tires on my then HPI rs4 around the same ^^^ lot and then swapped on a set of foams and was amazed at the superiority of the foams. Since then
I've always chosen foams over rubber. Ballooning was another turn off with rubber. I like foams because at high speeds and in turns the car remains planted. But now with the wide foams, I can practically bully the car around and drive it much more aggressively.

Would you recommend the Quanum gps? Aesthetically I like it a lot.

Lastly, Just want to recommend to you RC guys out there to always keep a sheet of carbon in your tool kit. I broke the top deck on one of my cars 2 weeks ago in a crash and have been impatiently waiting on Serpent America to restock them. Frustrated, I got out my handy dremel and carved one out of my sheet. Not only did I save $28.00 plus shipping, but the one I made is a hell of a lot stronger than the original
So mainly in parking lots? Amazing foams work so well, I may have to try a set on my 1/8 cars. Last time I ran foams outside was a few decades back on 1/10 Electrics pan cars and 1/8 Nitro pan cars

I would recommend the Quanun GPS, just for the form factor. There are easier solutions out there, but this works. Mainly I use my Bushnell radar gun, however I thought the Quanum would be good to put in my RC Pylon Racing Airplanes as well... I didn't get around to it this season.

It's always good to have spare materials around! A sheet of carbon would be handy!
Old 10-13-2014, 01:20 AM   #224
Tech Addict

Been busy at work, however was able to get 2 cars ready for Racing at the club tomorrow (Today, I suppose ). They start a bit earlier than I wanted to as a football game is on that I want to watch, but I'll head to the track after and see how the cars run.

This is my 2 color paint job on a Protoform Mazda MX, mounted on my TC6.2. I wanted to keep it simple for it's most likely going to get beat.

This is my TC6.1, damn I hate the look of these solid dish Touring Car wheels... Sure they're strong, but they lack total style, and any soul... Using them as track day wheels.

I'll report back after the track day.
Old 10-13-2014, 02:48 AM   #225
Tech Fanatic

Hey Viper,

The cars look good! Is that Metallic Orange? If so, I just did a e92 that color.

Mugen MBX7T ECO (Truggy)