R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   BEST ESC AND 17.5 MOTOR (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/813923-best-esc-17-5-motor.html)

TurboJuice 05-17-2014 11:08 AM

BEST ESC AND 17.5 MOTOR

All the options out there...
For a racer looking to run 17.5 and upgrade to Modified.
Is there a proven combo?
OR
How do you "match" a esc/motor combo from different manufacturers for optimum effeciency?

locked 05-17-2014 11:30 AM

Basically, any ESC that can do MOD well, will be able to run 17.5 no problem. The opposite is not always true though. Some ESCs are only suited for stock.

A few that can do both quite well:
ORCA Vritra VXX
Hobbywing XERUN V3.1
Orion R10 pro
Orion R10.1
Tekin RSX

These can run almost any 540 sized sensored motor. There are a few exceptions where you might have an issue, but in general, there is no need to "match" brands. I have run more different brands of motor and ESC together than I can count and have yet to run into a problem. I have heard of only a couple of very rare compatibility issues, ever.

There are many competitive 17.5 motors out right now:
ORCA TX
Team Scream Racing
Team Powers Plutonium v2 and Actinium
Trinity Killshot
Reedy Sonic Mach2
ThunderPower ZR3

Probably many others I'm forgetting as well. Lots of great choices out there.

dan_vector 05-18-2014 07:43 AM

Personally I'm a big fan of Speed Passions Reventon Pro 1.1 and the Muchmore Fleta Pro ESC's. I have run them both on modified, 13.5 boosted and 17.5 blink setups and both handle it all with ease. I actually prefer the Speed Passion's feel in Mod and the Muchmore punchiness in Stock. Motor wise I use the Muchmore Fleta ZX series of motors although for stock I believe the D3.5 is the known 'best'.

rangerjkb 05-18-2014 01:16 PM

Add LRP to the above list. Each of the top brand ESC and Motor companies produce great stuff. I prefer using the ORCA VXX with Murfdogg Motors (Mod and Stock). Recommend going to the track where you plan to race and see what the fast guys are using, ask questions, and determine which combo you like best.

cplus 05-18-2014 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by dan_vector (Post 13270972)
Motor wise I use the Muchmore Fleta ZX series of motors although for stock I believe the D3.5 is the known 'best'.

problem being of course the D3.5 is now banned by ROAR and if not already by the other bodies, will probably follow soon.

rcbrad27 05-20-2014 07:43 PM

At my local track most guys run schuur speed and reedy motors. As for an esc the hobbywing justock gets the job done well.

gooba 05-20-2014 09:07 PM

Castle mamba max pro will run any motor you can throw at it,is fully programable,and can be bought for about 120bucks. As far as motors I run trinity based motors from Fantom or team scream

hyujmn 05-20-2014 09:17 PM

Castle is almost never run in on road. The predominant brands in onroad are usually Orca, Orion, Hobbywing, and LRP.

Pick any of those for an ESC. I prefer the Hobbywing v3.1, but lots of people run Orca and Orion for blinky.

For motors, lots of people are talking about the r1Wurks, Team Scream, or the Team Powers Actinium

orcadigital 05-21-2014 04:50 AM

ESC: Black Diamond
Motor: D3.5 (if not using ROAR rules) or Orca

valk 05-21-2014 08:45 AM

In 17.5, my sp reventon stock club is every bit as good as my orca vx.

NEED-MORE-SPEED 05-21-2014 09:07 AM

These two motors are hard to beat and seem to be extremely consistent during the run and have mass rip

* Team Scream Racing
* Team Powers Plutonium v2 and Actinium

Adam B 05-21-2014 04:36 PM

When it comes to 17.5, they all have strong and weak points. Almost all motors can be good if you take the time to find the sweet spot. Your track size and grip level would help also in making a decision. I have tried a lot of motors and each have their good and bad points. If you can run a D3.5, it's hard to beat that motor. Otherwise I been happy with thenTeam Scream, and R1 so far. For speed controls, if you are running blinky mode, it will be hard to tell a difference in speed controls. I have set my dyno up with everything from a hobbywing just stock ($50), to orca (230), and at certain points the hobby wing beat a lot of others. They do have different feels though (throttle, brakes, smoothness). For modified, ORCA, LRP, Hobbywing, and Viper all make good stuff.

old_dude 05-22-2014 04:37 AM

Are you running a 1 or 2 cell class? That changes the ESC of choice.

josecarlo1129 05-22-2014 06:20 AM

My fave and stable combination: Black Diamond ESC + Team Orion Motors.

TurboJuice 05-25-2014 11:31 PM

I'll be runnin 1 cell...17.5 blinky to start. I've got alot of learning to do with tuning my X12, and my driving-that I don't suspect I'll be competitive for a while. In which instance it probably makes no difference?
I wanted a car and electronics that I can grow with till I get faster and more precise.
(I used to run TONS of Expo on my CP heli when I first started-as my flying improved, the Expo disappeared)
Seems Orion has the most flexibility for Stock and Mod?