Wiki Posts
Search

New stick radios is it too late?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2014, 03:28 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Dan the Man
Has anyone used this transmitter? Core RC 3 channel stick radio

Been looking at this for a while now, just haven't been able to find any user feedback.
Cheap and cheerful, I've heard of a few people having to return them.

You get what you pay for I guess...
Old 12-12-2014, 05:55 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Skiddins
Basically, yes

Most of the stick radio's have exactly the same electronics as their steerwheel counterparts. For example the Sanwa Super Exzes-X IS the Sanwa M11X in stick form.
So despite what some say, there is no performance difference at all, just whatever you're faster with.

I can drive a steerwheel, but the braking isn't natural to me.
I started with an RC glider years ago, hence sticks for me.

Skiddins
Realise this thread is quite old Skiddins

But I have both the Futaba 3GR and the Sanwa M11X.

Like you, I find the forward for brake and pull back for throttle totally illogical, the wheel is nice and I am seriously considering modifying the 3GR steering stick to a wheel, even as far as adding a miniature 'Suicide Knob' so that steering can still be achieved with the thumb, without having to wear a neck strap to keep hold of the tranny in both hands.

Would love to have the Sanwa Super Exzes-X but at nearly three times the price of the Futaba 3GR and twice the price of the M11X, the response from my 'Control Tower' would be scary to say the least.

Also, the Sanwa importer here in Oz reckons there is no market for the Sanwa Super Exzes-X and at over AUD$ 700.00 a pop, he's not wrong!

Old 12-12-2014, 10:06 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Palebushman
Realise this thread is quite old Skiddins

But I have both the Futaba 3GR and the Sanwa M11X.

Like you, I find the forward for brake and pull back for throttle totally illogical, the wheel is nice and I am seriously considering modifying the 3GR steering stick to a wheel, even as far as adding a miniature 'Suicide Knob' so that steering can still be achieved with the thumb, without having to wear a neck strap to keep hold of the tranny in both hands.

Would love to have the Sanwa Super Exzes-X but at nearly three times the price of the Futaba 3GR and twice the price of the M11X, the response from my 'Control Tower' would be scary to say the least.

Also, the Sanwa importer here in Oz reckons there is no market for the Sanwa Super Exzes-X and at over AUD$ 700.00 a pop, he's not wrong!

I bought mine new from Hong Kong two or three years back for £240, if you hunt around you might even find the odd Super Exzes-X second hand as the Super Exzes-Z is now out.

It was interesting at the worlds, as several US drivers showed an interest in the stick radio's
Old 12-12-2014, 08:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Yeah the Exzes Z is only US$449 with a receiver and tx battery online. I've also seen exzes X radios online discounted at $350 to clear! Perhaps the prices are inflated where the market for sticks is very small and the 'special order' bit pushes the price up.
Old 12-13-2014, 12:06 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 102 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dan_vector
Stick with the sanwa would be my advice. The exzes z is readily available from online stores like RC-Mushroom...
+1

The Sanwa is awesome, I too started with stick radios back in the day. I ordered my Exzes-X via eBay UK to replace my Futaba wheel radio for the time being. I am still waiting to see if the Futaba 4GR makes it to our shores. The new KO is already here and available via KO USA.

On the debate with stick vs. wheel I find, being that I also used to run boats and helicopters with stick radios that it just feels natural.
Old 12-13-2014, 03:18 AM
Tech Lord

I have always used sticks and do find it rude that today it is no choice when buying a RTR car. The Code and the 3GR are also the only affordable transmitters. For a long time I had a Futaba FF3 and now for several years I am using a Futaba T3VCS. Over the last years I gathered 2 more from th used market for an affoordable price (one was even brandnew)

With them I have 2 Spektrum Pro HRS transmitter modules with 6 HRS receivers and 1 normal Spektrum module with 3 receivers. I hope I can go on for many years.
Old 12-18-2014, 11:37 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 1/8 IC Fan
+1

The Sanwa is awesome, I too started with stick radios back in the day. I ordered my Exzes-X via eBay UK to replace my Futaba wheel radio for the time being. I am still waiting to see if the Futaba 4GR makes it to our shores. The new KO is already here and available via KO USA.

On the debate with stick vs. wheel I find, being that I also used to run boats and helicopters with stick radios that it just feels natural.
I agree the Sanwa are awesome
Old 12-18-2014, 12:52 PM
Tech Lord

Within 3 weeks I will get the new Futaba T4GRS for a review, I have heard the news yesterday. Although it is no folluw up for the T3VCS I think it will be an interesting transmitter.
Old 12-19-2014, 02:14 AM
Tech Champion

I tried a wheel handset for one race meeting.

Really enjoyed it, but I was not as fast. For me, your input is smoother with a wheel handset, and that's not ideal for everyone.

(It's similar to how people like to set their car up for the best feeling, either go-kart rock hard, fast response.... or lazy, boat like handling)

I will stick with my 15 year old Futaba stick, 3VCS. It suits my needs and has endless features, some I've not touched in 15 years and probably won't in another 15 years of use

Oh, and you could make it look way cool too!

http://www.decaldesigns.co.uk/img/Fu...itter-Skin.jpg

It's only let me down once, with a faulty throttle pot resister.
Old 06-23-2015, 08:41 PM
Tech Rookie

i just got T4GRS

and spend a nite with it on VRC.
it's chunky radio.

but feels good in my hand