R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-16-2014, 04:52 AM   #16
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCBuddha View Post
I still use my EXZES stick radio (am 27mhz!) for some of my older models.

I feel like I get better precision with sticks, especially for onroad. Been looking at this as an upgrade:

http://www.amain.com/product_info.ph...603FF-Receiver

Since I couldn't find the newest Airtronics/Sanwa EXZES in the states.
I also used the EXZES 27mhz for a couple years, but switched to the 3GR about 3 years ago. No complaints about the 3GR. True here in the U. S. stick radios are hard to find.
I use a stick because of my disability (MD), when I got into RC cars back in '92, I tried pistol grip radios with mods to the trigger and wheel, but was never comfortable. First stick tx was a Futaba Attack AM.
Old 05-16-2014, 04:59 AM   #17
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by locked View Post
...I do find it odd that such a large percentage of British racers use stick radios. In this part of the world (north america,) it is extremely rare to see anyone using a stick radio, but when I watch races from England, it seems like almost everyone has a stick radio there. Perhaps regional popularity plays a role. If the local fast guys are all using sticks, you might get the perception that the type of radio plays a part in their success and follow suit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cplus View Post
...The UK popularity is an interesting one
Perhaps in the UK it's due to the number of older racers that always ran sticks, but then come to sell their equipment, so a large number of stick radios were available second hand.

I know a few drivers who have changed to wheel after years with sticks just so they had a larger selection to pick from.

I do find the US driver comments on stick sets slightly amusing (not in this thread, the comments on Youtube vids etc from the UK) when games consoles have effectively used sticks for driving games for years and no one struggles with those.

Skiddins
wlrc.co.uk (West London Racing Centre)
RCDisco.co.uk
Skiddins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 05:34 AM   #18
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skiddins View Post
I do find the US driver comments on stick sets slightly amusing (not in this thread, the comments on Youtube vids etc from the UK) when games consoles have effectively used sticks for driving games for years and no one struggles with those.

Skiddins
To me it's wheel radios that are the odd one out. Sticks are used for boats, planes, helicopters and games consoles. The only thing out there I can think of that resembles a wheel radio is the control for a slot car (Scalextric).

I tried a wheel radio once and it didn't go well. You'd think by law of averages I'd steer the right way 50% of the time, but it seemed much less than that
daleburr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 07:01 AM   #19
Tech Regular

I am pleased to see different manufacturers getting involved tbh, as i have recently had a problem with a Sanwa set that was out of the three month warranty and no one wanted to help me what so ever, kind of leaving a sour taste in your mouth after paying 400 for a handset....
Smartypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 07:39 AM   #20
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to g-wan Send a message via Yahoo to g-wan

same goes to me from m11s to 4pk then going all the way to futaba 3vcs as its really hard to get stick radio in my place and LHS giving stupid price for order new stick radio, and due to new exzes z all i can say its really comfortable rather then futaba 3vcs but still both giving me good feeling rather then gun type radio as im abit confuse with right and left when using gun type
xray t3 2012 / tekin rs pro / reedy / savox
km racing / sworkz / xray / savox / sanwa / os speed / sweep / ulti / blitz
g-wan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 07:43 AM   #21
Tech Master

Yep, Sticks all the way for me. The issue I have with the Sanwa is the throttle stick with the strange 60/40 thing. I have always used KO sticks (apart from a brief experience with eht e3vcs which is the worst radio I have ever used it was like holding a fat brick!) and they are superb. The only glitch I have had is with the spektrum module, which is not a KO thing.

I was ready to get the Sanwa Z, but the Esprit 4 does interest me as the shape of the 3 is really comfortable. I'm just pleased to have some options.

As to the wheel / stick thing. After 30 years I just find driving with sticks almost innate, steering with wheels feels really sluggish to do transitions compared to sticks and I cant get a precise line with a wheel (Although I have never put any real effort into getting to grips with a pistol controller).

TRF419, TBEvo6, TT02, VDF, TRF501x, TRF201, TRF101, Mi5, X-Ray T4-13, BD7 2014, A700 Evo, WR-02G
Qatmix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 08:03 AM   #22
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by g-wan View Post
same goes to me from m11s to 4pk then going all the way to futaba 3vcs as its really hard to get stick radio in my place and LHS giving stupid price for order new stick radio, and due to new exzes z all i can say its really comfortable rather then futaba 3vcs but still both giving me good feeling rather then gun type radio as im abit confuse with right and left when using gun type
I'm afraid most drivers in the UK tend to order their radios from Hong Kong as they are stupid money from the UK. When I got mine it was 400 in the UK, 240 from HK, that's not a small difference!
wlrc.co.uk (West London Racing Centre)
RCDisco.co.uk
Skiddins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 10:17 AM   #23
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qatmix View Post
Yep, Sticks all the way for me. The issue I have with the Sanwa is the throttle stick with the strange 60/40 thing. I have always used KO sticks (apart from a brief experience with eht e3vcs which is the worst radio I have ever used it was like holding a fat brick!) and they are superb. The only glitch I have had is with the spektrum module, which is not a KO thing.

I was ready to get the Sanwa Z, but the Esprit 4 does interest me as the shape of the 3 is really comfortable. I'm just pleased to have some options.

As to the wheel / stick thing. After 30 years I just find driving with sticks almost innate, steering with wheels feels really sluggish to do transitions compared to sticks and I cant get a precise line with a wheel (Although I have never put any real effort into getting to grips with a pistol controller).
I wasn't happy with the throttle/brake travel initially either (Exzes X), especially as I switched radios in the winter (so racing on cold/damp tracks where max control is needed).

I spoke to some off-roaders who told me there are two plastic limiters fitted to the throttle stick, which a lot of the guys remove.

So I took the radio apart and removed them (there was a big limiter on the brake and smaller one on the throttle). I was much happier with the radio after doing that. More travel, and a more even split between throttle and brake.

If you only race blinky classes or only race high-grip it's probably not something you'd notice, as the throttle is more of an on/off switch there.
daleburr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 11:42 AM   #24
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by daleburr View Post
I wasn't happy with the throttle/brake travel initially either (Exzes X), especially as I switched radios in the winter (so racing on cold/damp tracks where max control is needed).

I spoke to some off-roaders who told me there are two plastic limiters fitted to the throttle stick, which a lot of the guys remove.

So I took the radio apart and removed them (there was a big limiter on the brake and smaller one on the throttle). I was much happier with the radio after doing that. More travel, and a more even split between throttle and brake.

If you only race blinky classes or only race high-grip it's probably not something you'd notice, as the throttle is more of an on/off switch there.
I do race mainly Blinky but I like the full feel of the throttle, the esprit 3 is fantastic in that respect as the sticks are almost free with very little resistance, and they have a good range. I have only held an Exzes and it feels chunky and the stick movement is really small. Hopefully the Z is better, although the Esprit 4 is calling now

TRF419, TBEvo6, TT02, VDF, TRF501x, TRF201, TRF101, Mi5, X-Ray T4-13, BD7 2014, A700 Evo, WR-02G

Last edited by Qatmix; 05-16-2014 at 12:12 PM.
Qatmix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 01:56 PM   #25
Tech Adept

Had a futaba attack r to start with in early 80s,then started racing in mid 90s bought a field force 3,then a 3vc then a 3vcs when they came out got a sanwa x about 18 months ago.
Sanwa is nice but i still prefer the feel of the futaba fits my hands better,may end up going to the new futaba to be honest,as long as they do a small receivers and not the bricks they did.
Quietman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 04:54 PM   #26
Bar
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The latest KO 2.4ghz module and receivers are excellent(the green ones), the older ones that came before that had some issues, especially if there was a lot of 2.4ghz radio's and other stuff being used at the same time, if you were not next to the car at the time you switched on it would not set to the car correctly, so would do nothing. Never had any issues with range or interference or not being fast enough on track though.
Old 05-16-2014, 05:02 PM   #27
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan_vector View Post
Stick with the sanwa would be my advice. The exzes z is readily available from online stores like RC-Mushroom...
Do you know where I can get a foam insert for a transmitter case for the Super EXES Z? Somewhere in the UK maybe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartix View Post
I also used the EXZES 27mhz for a couple years, but switched to the 3GR about 3 years ago. No complaints about the 3GR. True here in the U. S. stick radios are hard to find.
I use a stick because of my disability (MD), when I got into RC cars back in '92, I tried pistol grip radios with mods to the trigger and wheel, but was never comfortable. First stick tx was a Futaba Attack AM.
Good to know. I was surprised to see Amain carrying the 3GR!
RCBuddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 11:10 PM   #28
Tech Regular

Jconcepts do nice cases in the uk, try mbmodels and dms racing.
Smartypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 02:26 PM   #29
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Has anyone used this transmitter? Core RC 3 channel stick radio

Been looking at this for a while now, just haven't been able to find any user feedback.

If you don't have clean bearings, good transmission and a perfect car, trust me when I say this...someone else does.
Dan the Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 03:27 AM   #30
Tech Champion

I started racing in my 90's with a stick radio.

In the early part of Y2K I spent mega money getting a Futaba 3VC imported (I think it came from China, my mentor got it for me) and in 13 years it's only ever needed the throttle pot replacing.

Still on its original receiver and battery!

I don't actually know how I'd feel going over to wheel.... I tried it once and yeah it was rather amusing

I heard the plastics were rather brittle in the older KO stuff, don't know how well they hold up these days.

Needless to say, I am very brand loyal, Futaba all the way for me. Their servo's are great too imo (s9550/1).

The wife stops me being sane and the r/c stops me from going insane....
tc3team is offline   Reply With Quote