TL01 for VTA...FAIL? >

TL01 for VTA...FAIL?

Like Tree1Likes

TL01 for VTA...FAIL?

Old 05-06-2014, 04:45 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Default TL01 for VTA...FAIL?

So just built a TL01LA kit I had acquired back in 2005...seems there's a local track running VTA so I thought 'sure, this chassis could probably hang'...So as you all know, RC is a serious mental disorder so after a couple weeks of research, I unknowingly bought:

Bearing set
TL01 Carbon drive shaft
TL01 Carbon gearbox shafts
TL01 Speed tuned gears
TL01LA sway bar kit
TL01 CVD front/rear
Ball Diff for rear
Front One way
Alloy dampers
Heatsink...from the UK lol
Various mod 06 pinions to experiment

So I basically dumped 200 dollars (TL01 racing parts are tough to find nowadays..wow) into a 100 dollar chassis...I'm either going to laugh my head off hysterically at the track this spring (along with everyone else) or my jaw will drop from its utterly awesome performance/handling...nonetheless, always fun to play the underdog.

Old 05-06-2014, 04:49 PM
Tech Regular

Took the car for its first test drive at a local parking lot today....it was a 'interesting' drive nonetheless...I was not expecting these kinds of speeds with a 25.5T motor...the car would also spinout as soon as I was nearing top speed (though I wasn't running a body)..the steering was good..almost too good...it would spin out if i tried any off throttle steering. I'm running the stock open gear diff in the rear along with a one-way up front. Would a ball diff in rear coupled to a locked front diff work better or is it a suspension issue? Running 50wt oil all around with 3 hole pistons. Or just having plain new tires on be the issue?

Old 05-06-2014, 04:49 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I think it'll be fine. I've seen one of these fully hopped up with a mod motor and it got around the track fairly well. Good luck
Old 05-06-2014, 04:51 PM
Tech Regular

Also running a 24t pinion right on the counter gear (bypassing the 'spur') to get a 4.02 FDR.
Old 05-06-2014, 04:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Get that one-way out of the car. One-ways are almost never a good idea in modern touring car racing.

Also, is the front still a diff or a spool with the one-way? I know VTA can be tricky but if they let you run a spool in the front do it, it will really calm the car down.
Old 05-06-2014, 05:02 PM
Tech Regular

I actually bought a tech racing front spool so i will experiment with that up front...should i get rid of the open gear diff too and go with the ball diff? The rear end swinging out really annoyed me...sorry for all the questions...been out of onroad for 8+ years and back in those days, one-ways were the hot ticket.
Old 05-06-2014, 05:14 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

gear diff in the back is good. nothing slips. run 3-5000 wt to start. adjust up or down to get desired diff action.
Old 05-06-2014, 05:17 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by dragonracing
gear diff in the back is good. nothing slips. run 3-5000 wt to start. adjust up or down to get desired diff action.
Only problem is that the open diff is just that...open...can't tune it with fluids as its not a sealed unit. Hate going the ball diff route as i hate rebuilding them but might not have a choice..ugh..
Old 05-06-2014, 05:22 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ta03 tuner
I actually bought a tech racing front spool so i will experiment with that up front...should i get rid of the open gear diff too and go with the ball diff? The rear end swinging out really annoyed me...sorry for all the questions...been out of onroad for 8+ years and back in those days, one-ways were the hot ticket.
If the rear gear diff runs smooth, swapping to a ball diff might not be worth your time. The TL-01 is an ancient design but should respond to rubber tire tuning dogma with a similar result to modern cars, and that dogma can be summed up as front spool, rear diff, and no one-ways for racing rubber.

Hopefully this gets you going, but I would think hard about putting too much money into that injection molded chassis. You can get a TC4 race-roller kit for under 150 bucks, or just get a used touring car off Rctech or Ebay which would be a much more solid investment.

Happy Racing!
Old 05-06-2014, 05:27 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by DesertRat
If the rear gear diff runs smooth, swapping to a ball diff might not be worth your time. The TL-01 is an ancient design but should respond to rubber tire tuning dogma with a similar result to modern cars, and that dogma can be summed up as front spool, rear diff, and no one-ways for racing rubber.

Hopefully this gets you going, but I would think hard about putting too much money into that injection molded chassis. You can get a TC4 race-roller kit for under 150 bucks, or just get a used touring car off Rctech or Ebay which would be a much more solid investment.

Happy Racing!
Right...the sad thing is, i've already sunk way too much money into this guy to back out lol...will be interesting...I think I might just need to lock up the diff action a bit more as I just used a thin coating of ceramic grease in the gear diff. The MO3 guys said using tamiya anti-wear grease in the diff works wonders for them so I'll try that next as both chassis use the same diffs.
Old 05-07-2014, 03:24 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 165 (100%+)

The TL-01 uses the same gear diff as the M-03 mini and a trick I used in my mini with the diff was to run a bead of Shoe Goo around the ring of the diff to seal it. The surfaces had to be clean and I used alcohol to make sure. It worked very well and my diff didn't leak. Might be worth a try.
Old 05-07-2014, 01:21 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

At least it looks snazzy.
Old 05-07-2014, 01:33 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Thinking 50wt in your shocks is alittle stiff could make it twichy
Old 05-07-2014, 01:46 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Awesome thread. Keep posting progress/updates. VTA isn't about having the best chassis, it is about getting the best you can out of whatever chassis you are running.

You didn't mention what surface you will be running on. You probably could get away with a front one-way/rear diff on a high bite carpet track. As others have stated, the spool up front (or a tight diff) and a diff in back will give you a good amount of control.

As far as tuning the diffs, you will want to check out the Tamiya Mini Cooper thread here on RCTECH (http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...ni-cooper.html). There should be plenty of people that can help you tune your diffs. There might even be some people that can help you achieve higher gearing if you need to go faster.

Don't let the basic design of the TL-01 prevent you from trying to see what it will do. I've seen some very well tuned Tamiya M-03 cars go faster/handle better than a lot of local VTA cars. Although I would recommend having a basic budget in mind for this project. If you run into a dead end with setup, there is no sense in turning this project into a money pit.

Good luck and above all have fun!
Old 05-07-2014, 02:31 PM
Tech Master

Fantastic thread. The TL01 is a great little chassis, and it is more than capable especially when hopped up. As mentioned above Tamiya AW grease is good to make the rear stiffer. The other thing is to out some high weight gear diff oil in there. (500,000 or even 1,000,000) just put a little on the gears and it makes them sticky and it's so thick it will not leak.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.