Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
TL01 for VTA...FAIL? >

TL01 for VTA...FAIL?

Like Tree1Likes

TL01 for VTA...FAIL?

Old 09-26-2014, 12:26 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

@ta03 tuner have you given up??? Hows the old dog doing?
Old 09-26-2014, 09:26 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ta03 tuner
Haven't run on the track yet but its going to be a fairly smooth, newly paved outdoor parking lot surface. The car seems to speed up pretty good and temps for the motor was decent so the only thing I need to fix is the twitch as I can't even get up to top speed without spinning out. I did my test with new, untreated tires and no body so maybe that could have affected the handling. Also ran out of anti-wear grease so someone suggested using Lucas Red & Tacky in the diff so I'll try that. As far as being a money pit, I pretty much already bought everything possible from a mechanical standpoint before I began the build so just the small tweaks won't hurt my wallet too bad. Also have a HPI Pro 4, a TA05, and a unbuilt TA06 if things take a turn for the worst. On a side note, I thought this front spool from Tech Racing looked pretty trick...Going in the front diff tonight along with a Lucas Red & Tacky gear diff in the back.

Would you want to sell the Pro4??
Old 09-27-2014, 07:07 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

if anything that might have cause the overheating, is the gear mesh between the pinion and spur - looks real tight in pics... if that's too tight, it'll cause the motor and esc to overheat

the spool in the front and the drive train itself should not have had anything to do with the overheating - maybe you have something binding someplace else in the gearbox?
Old 10-07-2014, 03:33 PM
Tech Regular

Still here...ran the car a couple months ago for 2 heats but my motor/esc fried; DNF...Got a Trakpower ESC along with new motor I'll be throwing in there soon. Need to rework the gearing a bit to reduce the temps but I was very impressed with the overall performance. I think it has potential...Handling was good.
Old 10-07-2014, 03:40 PM
Tech Regular

Another thing to note...the Lucas Red and Tacky...don't do it...it did not hold up at all...after a few laps of practice, the diff felt as if there was no grease in there at all...must've leaked out/broke down but I haven't had the courage to open up the gearbox yet.
Old 10-07-2014, 03:41 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Chrisgt2
Would you want to sell the Pro4??
Shoot me an offer...I got way more stuff than I could possibly use lol.
Old 07-28-2015, 03:56 PM
Tech Regular

It saddens me but my beloved TL01 is now for sale...with 3 kids and a real Mustang to tend to, this car is not getting any playing time. Get this at a STEAL of a price now before I change my mind.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-item...ale-150-a.html
Old 07-28-2015, 05:02 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by ta03 tuner
Took the car for its first test drive at a local parking lot today....it was a 'interesting' drive nonetheless...I was not expecting these kinds of speeds with a 25.5T motor...the car would also spinout as soon as I was nearing top speed (though I wasn't running a body)..the steering was good..almost too good...it would spin out if i tried any off throttle steering. I'm running the stock open gear diff in the rear along with a one-way up front. Would a ball diff in rear coupled to a locked front diff work better or is it a suspension issue? Running 50wt oil all around with 3 hole pistons. Or just having plain new tires on be the issue?

I miss that chassis!
Attached Thumbnails TL01 for VTA...FAIL?-likeage.jpeg