R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-15-2005, 04:53 PM   #1
Tech Master
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default Help me choose?

I am relatively new to the RC circuit but have gotten totally hooked on the sport. I am looking to find a new on-road car to replace my Yokomo SSG special but can't seem to decide on what to get.
I entered a race this weekend where both Barry Baker and Peter Robinson raced. Needless to say, I was impressed with both Barry's Factory Team TC4 as well as Peter's new X-Ray.
However with their driving skills as well as the best of the best of equipment it is hard to chose a car for me.
I am trying not to spend too much money as I am still new to the sport but want a nice car which you don't have to put too much hop-up money into as well as decent parts support in the local circuit.
The cars i have considered so far are the Factory Team TC4, HPI Pro 4, Losi JRX-S and X-Ray FT05.
Any opinions to a rookie?

Last edited by nordheim; 08-15-2005 at 08:34 PM.
nordheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 08:36 PM   #2
Tech Elite
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

To tell you the truth you already have one of the best cars on the market. The SSG for me is one of the best shaft drive cars out there. When i was activly racing touring car i ran one in stock and one in 19T. I loved them both. Since you list TC4 and PRO4 i would say keep your car and invest in good batteries,tires and spare parts. IF your just looking for somethign new maybe consider the CGM tub conversion. Assuming you already have a quality charger(peak detection with discharge) a quality high speed servo? And maybe an FM radio?

But lets say your done with shafts(since i would not flip your ssg for either of the 2 u listed) The belted cars you list are equally capable.

If the xray is attractive also consider the other dual belt batteries down the right side cars:
-HOT BODIES CYCLONE(use hpi suspension)
-TAM 415
-Yokomo BD(same suspension as your SSG possibly i good pic for you??)
-Shumacher MI2
-corally RDX
"Without Rules its just Backyard Bashing!"
Joel Lagace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 08:53 PM   #3
Tech Elite
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

OH GOD THE PAIN !!!!!!!whimper whimper I just cant take this any more !!!!!

here some reading material fer ya
what the heck is r/c car??? ( said in your best redneck voice)

Last edited by howard hudson; 08-15-2005 at 09:09 PM.
howard hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 09:12 PM   #4
Tech Master

keep the yokomo
axel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 09:12 PM   #5
Tech Addict
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to josh69162

Well, since you are relatively new to the sport, going from your shaft drive car to a belt driven car, say the X-Ray, is going to be a flat out pain. Open ended ball diffs are really not something I would recommend messing with unless you are REALLY commited to cleaning them every few runs. They get crap all up in them, and need good, consistent maintenence. Throwing the belt cars out the window, you have the TC4 and Pro4. The difference between those cars and the car you have is negligible, if even existant. You've got a rock solid foundation to learn on, so stick with it. Invest in some good batteries and a Smart Tray to take care of them. By that time you should be REALLY hooked, and then, and only then (provided you want to maintain the car), would I recommend you getting a belt car. The simplicity of closed diffs is something I never want to give up, which is why I retired my Pro2 and got the Pro4. Besides, the X-Ray, 415, and RDX would definately be a wallet-breaker if you want something relatively inexpensive. But if you are dead-set on getting a new car, I would recommend the Pro4 (Myself having one has a lot to do with it...). Toe blocks makes life so much easier to change toe, and it is a super fun car to drive that carries a lot of speed through the turns. But if you want a belt car, I would opt for the Cyclone. From what I've seen so far, it should be a wicked, wicked car...
josh69162 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 09:52 PM   #6
Tech Master
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

It's not so much that I want a belt car. The one I currently have (Yokomo SSG) is pretty beat up since I got it used from one of my buddies. I actually drive around now with a tub chassis for the Yokomo but the whole car is pretty beat up but he put a lot of upgrades on it. I also have good chargers, batteries, discharge trays, etc. I tried my buddy's JRX-S and really liked the feel of it on the track. However, I understand what you say about the cleaning of the diffs.
So if the choice came down to the Factory TC4 and the Pro 4 in shaft, which one would you recommend?

Last edited by nordheim; 08-16-2005 at 08:37 AM.
nordheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 10:26 PM   #7
Tech Elite

Keep the SSG.
RC Car Action Editor and Photographer
Carl Hyndman
edseb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 06:59 AM   #8
Tech Elite
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Shookie Send a message via MSN to Mr. Shookie

If you have to upgrade get the LCG conversion for it....It gives ti that extra steerign you are looking for as well as a little more snapping since they Lowered the Center of Gravity.

I am currently selling mine as I found I don't have time for two different chassis's If you are interested it only has about 10 runs on it..
PM for details..
-Shookie <><
All who love the LORD JESUS I praise with you.1 Cor 10:31
Team HOLY Rollers (Team Manager)
The Church is a Hospital for Sinners not a Museum for Saints.
RcTech Feedback <>< RC Tech Subcriber #92
Mr. Shookie is offline   Reply With Quote