Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Will Losi ever make another 1/10 touring car? >

Will Losi ever make another 1/10 touring car?

Will Losi ever make another 1/10 touring car?

Old 04-25-2014, 02:22 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Losi is a toy company. What's next, the Fischer Price touring car?
Old 04-25-2014, 02:26 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

It would be nice if they did produce another TC. I raced both the Street Weapon and XXXS with great success.
Old 04-25-2014, 02:30 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Looks like members of the Losi faithful will have to keep looking in the bargain bin for their touring cars.

That being said, that bin can have some good stuff in it, possibly worth revisiting.

I am not the least bit brand biased, but I think the JRX-S Type R is still a good car. It was the first touring car I ever bought and mine shocked me last month. I am a crappy touring car racer, but signed up for 17.5 and raced mine at the 2014 Mile High Indoor Champs. It put in very respectable lap times considering how bad I am and how good the competition was.

To put numbers to it, my car ran 9.9s in practice, 10.0s in racing, with a massively conservative gearing, budget shorty pack, ancient LRP X12 motor, OLD Novak ESC, and an eyeball tune after hanging on the wall of my hobby room for a year. I still don't even know what oil is in the shocks and looked the other way when the chassis started dragging because the car was just really driveable. This, combined with my crappy driving, was good enough for the D main (Dunce Main, I know, but hey I never said I was good), a lap and a bit per race behind guys jockeying for TQ. Art Scrimo won 17.5, and his fast laps were 9.6's... I think... Fast Lap of 17.5 overall might have been a hair faster, but I don't recall 9.5s.

The car has good bones. Old bones, but a revisit to the concept of center mass with the possibility of running a fat full-size pack would be interesting. I like this cars 'theme' a lot. I think I'm going to narrow its chassis a little before the next big race prevent dragging and gain a bit more flex, but after Denver I plan to give this chassis another shot at rubber carpet racing.
Old 04-25-2014, 02:34 PM
Tech Rookie

yeah....ummmmm.....no...

TC is dead, not gonna keep the molds around for less than hundred cars a year..
Old 04-25-2014, 03:31 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 93 (100%+)

TC is far from dead.
Old 04-25-2014, 03:56 PM
Bar
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by atarit3
yeah....ummmmm.....no...

TC is dead, not gonna keep the molds around for less than hundred cars a year..
touring cars is the biggest class in the UK and most of Europe at the moment, not sure about the US
Old 04-25-2014, 04:18 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

As a point of clarification, I would like to see the sedan come from the TLR, race dedicated side of the house. I said "Losi" but I certainly meant their racing entity. Fisher Price most definitely did not make my 22 2.0 and 8ight E 3.0. That is a guarantee.
Old 04-25-2014, 05:34 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by racer1812
From Losi, that's all you're likely to get. A TLR TC is even less likely to happen. I would venture to say...never

Besides the R&D aspect of competing in the TC market after such a long absence, they would also have to add to their driver line up. Cars that don't win likely won't sell, and I don't think their current drivers can run all their off road stuff AND TC competitively. Considering the recent cut to the driver roster I don't see TLR/Losi venturing back in to on road anytime soon...IMO

Sad for Losi guys

I'm not trying to be negative towards their RTR at all. Just the mere fact that Horizon released a new rtr sedan is interesting because there are a lot of smart people at Horizon and I'm sure they are looking at the sales numbers closely to see if on road is even viable. Never say never and let us not forget what Losi/TLR did to the very 'dead' 2wd buggy class. They released the innovative 22 buggy and ever since the buggy class has blown up.
Old 04-25-2014, 05:50 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default type r

I love the Losi type R. It was bad mofo in its hay day.
Old 04-25-2014, 06:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

Sales of the Vaterra car have nothing to do with sales of a race kit. That is aimed at the just above nikko/tyco crowd. Two completely different groups. The race crowd has always been a much smaller market. If they want to know sales on race kits, just look at other manufacturers. I know they cant get actual numbers as they are kept secret, but they can go to races, watch the treads, look at aftermarket companies and what they are making stuff for. If a company like VBC can do only touring and be succesful, then a big company like Losi could/should be able to take a whack at it. Associated never got out of the market, and thing were slow for a while, but in the last 4 years they have gone through 4 models from the 6, 6.1, 6.1, and now 6.2. Sales must be pretty good for them to invest that kind of R&D in TC, 2wd buggy, and 4wd buggy simultaniously.

It seams all they (losi) want to focus on is the bashers (that is where most of the $$ is). The beauty if 4X4 SCT and 1/8 is it appeals to both. They cut the 22t, the 22sct (2wd sct is dying) and will not make an electric specific 1/8 chassis. Yes they made a a new pretty cool 4wd 1/10, but once again companies like xray seem to be able to thrive without subsidies from sub par low quality over priced rebuildable tyco toys.

As long as there are certain people at losi that push the focus on the larger 1/8 offroad classes, on road will be a pipe dream. This is unfortunate, but it is what it is.
Old 04-26-2014, 05:15 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DesertRat
I am not the least bit brand biased, but I think the JRX-S Type R is still a good car... The car has good bones. Old bones, but a revisit to the concept of center mass with the possibility of running a fat full-size pack would be interesting.
I run my Type R with a full-sized LiPo. I moved the steering servo to the left side, mounted upright, to make room for it. The top deck needed to be raised by 0.025" using washers.

It is very competitive in mod class on asphalt!
Old 04-26-2014, 05:41 AM
Tech Fanatic

Losi need to make this, narrow it and job done.

Old 04-26-2014, 05:52 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

Is that a carbon fiber xxxs? It looks the single belt drivetrain, but everthing else appears to be one off production pieces.
Old 04-26-2014, 07:10 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by theproffesor
Is that a carbon fiber xxxs? It looks the single belt drivetrain, but everthing else appears to be one off production pieces.
Yes, that was the prototype car used at the worlds that year.

Patrick
Old 04-26-2014, 07:29 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

If you look hard enough you may find a Street Weapon still on the shelf of your local hobby store. They didn't give it the nick name 'Shelf Weapon' for no reason.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.