Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sprint 2 Battery fitment

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2014, 07:52 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Sprint 2 Battery fitment

Hello RCTECH! Recently I bought a Horizon Hobby 20C 4000maH 2S 7.4V reaction lipo for my sprint 2 Drift at a hobby shop. They recommended the battery to me and stuff since it was a battery they use for their rental cars. We switched the connectors and everything on my sprint to Traxxas connectors. I was planning on returning the battery anyways since it didn't fit my chassis but I came across something online that made me question if I could fit the battery.

I read that this Gens Ace: Gens ace 5000mAh 7.4V 40C 2S1P HardCase LiPo Battery 24# (I can't post links yet since I am new but if you google the above you'll see it)

fits the sprint 2. They say it fights tightly but fits nonetheless. I checked the dimensions of both this and my battery and they have just about the same exact dimensions, So I was curious as to why mine doesn't fit at all and how I could maybe make it fit so I don't have to return the battery.

When I try to put in the battery, it goes in no further than the posts that hold the chassis to (what I would assume is called) the upper chassis piece, these posts are directly under the receiver. The posts don't seem to be the problem though. The area above them I think is causing the issue. I can't upload a picture at this moment so the best I think I can describe it is, if you look under the chassis (with the motor on your left) where the receiver is, the area directly to the left of the top metal post is where the battery gets stuck. Is it possible to make the battery fit by loosening something in this area or?

Thanx!
Old 05-02-2014, 11:02 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

the battery compartment on the sprint is not very tall, and it causes some batteries not to be able to slip in. you can remove the "battery doors" that swing out on the sides, but then you would have to secure the battery with velcro or battery tape.
Old 05-02-2014, 11:15 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

My solution was to mill some material from the swinging brackets to allow clearance for most hard packs. If the battery fits tightly, you will have chassis tweak.

Look for the thread called Sprint 2 making a silk purse out of a sow's ear. Tons of mods and suggestions for the Sprint 2 series.
Old 05-02-2014, 01:00 PM
Tech Rookie

Ok cool will do thanks guys.
Old 05-02-2014, 01:06 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I suggest looking here for tips on the HPI Sprint 2 chassis

http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...-sows-ear.html

A LOT of great info
Old 05-02-2014, 01:10 PM
Tech Rookie

Thanks for the link