Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Technical question regarding steering rack. PICS included please help. >

Technical question regarding steering rack. PICS included please help.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Technical question regarding steering rack. PICS included please help.

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2014, 10:53 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Pro or no, everyone has to start somewhere. Biggest thing so far is that you have been sharing your progress with pictures which is always good.

Can you edit your pictures with an arrow to show exactly where the binding is occurring? Or just take another picture using a pointer (pencil/pen/etc) to pinpoint that spot.
Old 05-02-2014, 11:07 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by IndyRC_Racer
Pro or no, everyone has to start somewhere. Biggest thing so far is that you have been sharing your progress with pictures which is always good.

Can you edit your pictures with an arrow to show exactly where the binding is occurring? Or just take another picture using a pointer (pencil/pen/etc) to pinpoint that spot.

Here is the binding location(marked with the red arrow) but it will not be an issue once I shave some of the plastic down.

My real question is about the caster blocks, I believe I installed them backwards, I posted a side pic to see which way it is angled at

I also have a question about where exactly to mount the floating servo but I'm not at that point just yet....

Old 05-02-2014, 11:41 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Arsenal2012

My real question is about the caster blocks, I believe I installed them backwards, I posted a side pic to see which way it is angled at
I think the standard is 4 degrees of caster. If that's what you are going for it should tilt forward.

Back of car ---- \ ---- Front of car
angle caster block
Old 05-02-2014, 12:24 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Carnage9270
I think the standard is 4 degrees of caster. If that's what you are going for it should tilt forward.

Back of car ---- \ ---- Front of car
angle caster block
Ok, then I did it right, it looks like your pic. Thanks

Its confusing though, I guess I should just imagine how the caster blocks would look if I put spacers under the front pivot block. I don't know why I started second guessing myself but I did

Old 05-02-2014, 01:24 PM
Tech Initiate

Sorry for the simplistic picture, just a quick sketch. When changing the width of the steering rack pick up width compared to the chassis causing the steering rack to not be perpendicular during it's steering arc. The left picture shows both being the same and which keeps the rack perpendicular to the center line of the car no matter how much steering throw. The right picture shows how the rack doesn't stay perpendicular as you add steering throw. It's going to act the same as shimming the ball studs forward or back to adjust ackerman.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
ackerman.pdf (38.9 KB, 100 views)