R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   On Road Gyros...which to buy and how much to spend? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/807519-road-gyros-buy-how-much-spend.html)

lemonader83 04-16-2014 01:09 PM

On Road Gyros...which to buy and how much to spend?

Hey all, I'm new to the on road world and I didn't see too many threads specifically about gyros, so I thought it might be helpful to all to start one.

I see there are very few gyro's on the market specifically designed for surface vehicles and those that are available for cars seem to be very inexpensive, and they are EXTREMELY expensive for flying. Does anyone have a recommendation on what to use? I drive oval occasionally, but typically I just like to drift it and go way too fast on smooth surfaces and it gets quite out of control, even with new tires and the servo turned down. My friends are telling me I need a gyro, but there are so many available at a variety of prices, I have no idea which to buy. thetoyz.com has a "stabilizer" for $20, seems like a good price for what I need???? ...OR....do I even need one? Benefits/Advantages? I know how to drive, just heard the gyro is even better when you're really moving fast or drifting.

for the sake of full disclosure... TC3, Castle Sidewinder v3/5700kv, 2s LiPos, Savox 1258TG

Thanks!

mkiiina 04-16-2014 01:36 PM

If you are racing a gyro is not allowed, same rules applied with drifting as it is an outside aid.

Spend your money on a setup station instead to get your car working how you want it.

MikeXray 04-16-2014 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by lemonader83 (Post 13189996)
Hey all, I'm new to the on road world and I didn't see too many threads specifically about gyros, so I thought it might be helpful to all to start one.

I see there are very few gyro's on the market specifically designed for surface vehicles and those that are available for cars seem to be very inexpensive, and they are EXTREMELY expensive for flying. Does anyone have a recommendation on what to use? I drive oval occasionally, but typically I just like to drift it and go way too fast on smooth surfaces and it gets quite out of control, even with new tires and the servo turned down. My friends are telling me I need a gyro, but there are so many available at a variety of prices, I have no idea which to buy. thetoyz.com has a "stabilizer" for $20, seems like a good price for what I need???? ...OR....do I even need one? Benefits/Advantages? I know how to drive, just heard the gyro is even better when you're really moving fast or drifting.

for the sake of full disclosure... TC3, Castle Sidewinder v3/5700kv, 2s LiPos, Savox 1258TG

Thanks!

Check out the HPI drift box

terry.sc 04-16-2014 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by MikeXray (Post 13190086)
Check out the HPI drift box

... which is just a rebadged Futaba G190 gyro with a bigger price tag.

lemonader83 04-16-2014 02:52 PM

Thanks guys, I'll check out the futaba. Are they all basically the same or are there certain specs I should look for? I don't race, even on the oval, it's just for fun.

sobiski racer 04-16-2014 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by lemonader83 (Post 13190288)
Thanks guys, I'll check out the futaba. Are they all basically the same or are there certain specs I should look for? I don't race, even on the oval, it's just for fun.

I had a hpi drift box, with the drift tires worked fine but when the car had traction the steering was completely unpredictable. The placement of the box on the chassis was huge. My two cents, look for one used. I had it for like two batteries.

fox88gt 04-17-2014 07:02 AM

[QUOTE=lemonader83;13189996] I know how to drive, just heard the gyro is even better when you're really moving fast or drifting.QUOTE]

If you know how to drive, you won't need (or want) a gyro.

lemonader83 04-17-2014 08:18 AM

[QUOTE=fox88gt;13192047]

Originally Posted by lemonader83 (Post 13189996)
I know how to drive, just heard the gyro is even better when you're really moving fast or drifting.QUOTE]

If you know how to drive, you won't need (or want) a gyro.

Well...I don't know if this was meant as a rude comment or not, but anytime I can increase the performance of a vehicle, I WANT to do it.

I have yet to hear one bad thing about a gyro so I don't know why you jumped in this thread to bash what started as a good, helpful conversation.

locked 04-17-2014 09:07 AM

Illegal for racing. Considered a bad crutch in the drift scene.

Basically if you end up meeting up with some other drifters (not likely to find many here. predominantly racers here), they will probably give you a hard time about using a d-box. Using one is not respected (I've seen many comments to that effect in the past). D-boxes are usually associated with someone who doesn't know how to drive.

fox88gt 04-17-2014 09:31 AM

I didn't mean for my comment to sound rude, sorry man. I should have elaborated my response a little bit.

If you know how to drive (and I'm not doubting it), you will find the gyro to be counterintuitive to how you control the car, because it is doing most, if not all, of the turning for you (in regards to countersteer). I tried a friend's drift car with a gyro once, and hated it. After about 5 minutes, he hated it too. It takes away all the driver skill.

lemonader83 04-17-2014 10:50 AM

thanks fox....didn't mean to be a prick, but it seems like every thread has that person who jumps in to just dump on everybody and it drives me nuts!

i kind of wondered about exactly what you guys are saying....does all the work for you, why would that be fun? perhaps i just have too much pinion that my slides aren't as controllable. 30/65?

ThePanda 04-17-2014 12:05 PM

Actually, about the drifting thing not using gyro. If you are hardcore into drift and have tried a purpose built rwd drift car you usually need to use a gyro with one of those. Its not considered a bad thing there, but instead a necessity.

Silberpfeil 04-17-2014 04:37 PM

As someone who's been a RWD drifter for the past year or so. I've tried a gyro but I see no point in it. It steers for you, all you do is power it and back off every now and then. Without a gyro, it's an awesome feeling been able to flow the car corner to corner. Also, ThePanada. It's not a "necessity" it's more a good mask for a bad setup.

In my view, they should be kept for planes and helis. There's no real need for them in cars.

-Jeremy

lemonader83 04-19-2014 05:56 AM

Thanks again guys...for my needs, no gyro. Although, I think the info in this thread will be useful to others to make the better choice.

lemonader83 04-20-2014 08:25 AM

Quick question...hoping some drifters are monitoring this....

I'm running traxxas 4tec street/rubber slicks on my tc3 and drifting is very difficult. Bought some actual drifters yesterday, is it going to make a big difference or should I be looking at how it's set up?