R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Corner Speed (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/80745-corner-speed.html)

mutley001 08-13-2005 01:46 AM

Corner Speed

Just looking for some advice on this topic.
I run stock 27t on carpet using CS22's and for stock racing corner speed is everything. But apart from the driving, how should the car be set up to maximize this? Hard or Soft springs and suspension? More or less droop? etc etc.
I'd really like to hear your thoughts...

Paul

Jack Smash 08-13-2005 09:58 AM

One thing is you'll definately run a one-way. I see that your running an Mi2. Go to www.gearchart.com and check out Jason Moberly's 19 turn rubber tire carpet setups. This will get you close if not dead on.

Ghostfit 08-13-2005 08:04 PM

Just 3 words ! .......double one ways ! :D :tire: :tire:

mutley001 08-19-2005 04:28 AM

Thanks Jack!

Very good setup! Worked well!

Paul

BlackKat 08-19-2005 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by Ghostfit
Just 3 words ! .......double one ways ! :D :tire: :tire:

Actually I find the opposite. I was running stock with my mod car one day (dual diffs) and I thought it was pushing a little bit but felt pretty good, but I set a PR (as well as TQ/Win) with that car and when I got off the stand each time everyone commented on how much corner speed my car carried.

I found that all my cars & setups seem to work better with a diff than a one-way. Just seems to suit my style better. I can't use the pull out of the corner the one-way provides (which isn't really all that usefull unless you get out of the corner just right) because I'm trying to correct the car and get it out of the turn in the first place... :lol:

Jack Smash 08-19-2005 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by mutley001
Thanks Jack!

Very good setup! Worked well!

Paul

Right on. Glad it went well for ya!

berger 08-19-2005 01:17 PM

Theres no doubt about it that the diff is easiest to drive, on VRC (i know its not quite like real racing) i tried the one way/spool/differential back to back on the track, my fastest lap came with the one way, then the differential and then the spool. However the diff provided the most consistant laptimes and was easy to drive, the one way was hella quick over a lap, .25 quicker than my diff time but i couldnt drive those same tight lines as i could with a front diff for 5 minutes consistantly.

josh69162 08-19-2005 01:22 PM

Set your throttle trim to where the car just creeps along, or just keep pulling the throttle a touch. This takes the magnets' resistance out of the picture (a bit). But that will only really work if you don't do it already...
-Josh

R40Victim 08-19-2005 01:28 PM

I found that the one way forces me to go faster through the corners. If you let off, it spins out, so I just use a little throttle through the apex of each curve. One other thing... I race on asphalt with foam tires, so I may be typing useless words here... :o

Ghostfit 08-23-2005 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by BlackKat
Actually I find the opposite. I was running stock with my mod car one day (dual diffs) and I thought it was pushing a little bit but felt pretty good, but I set a PR (as well as TQ/Win) with that car and when I got off the stand each time everyone commented on how much corner speed my car carried.

I found that all my cars & setups seem to work better with a diff than a one-way. Just seems to suit my style better. I can't use the pull out of the corner the one-way provides (which isn't really all that usefull unless you get out of the corner just right) because I'm trying to correct the car and get it out of the turn in the first place... :lol:

Alot depends on the track, A fast and smooth flowing track will favour cars with one-ways and tight/technical tracks are better for spools.
Then there is also each and every driver's racing style, some perfer to drive a tight optimum racing line and others prefer a point to point cut and thrust style.

Berger is right, a dual diff car is easiest to drive and like Josh said, you can dial in a little throttle at neutral to keep it flowing but you won't have the off power steering like a one-way.

I started this hobby with 1/8 On road cars in the early 90 and now more than 12 years later, all 1/8 car are still one way equiped. With one-ways, you have to hold throttle to keep your racing line and brakes is seldom/never used except in emergency whereas with a diff/spool, braking is a major step in order to be fast (think heel & toe method)

There is no right or wrong, faster or slower with all the above styles, the answer really depends on whether you talking F1 racing or WRC racing :D :D :D