Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Chevron Models Bugatti EB 110 LM S
Old 09-18-2015, 09:10 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Talking Well represented!

Originally Posted by rtypec
Rodzilla's bodies always look nice even after the race!
Tamiya chassis were well represented in all the classes at the Roar Nats.
As was R1 racers!
Thank you Steve, your hard work developing motors, fans, batteries and now servos really made it's presence this past weekend. Congrats to you, you've earned it, big time!
I wish Tamiya would have done a photo of all the racers with Tamiya and Tamiya conversion Exo-platforms!
I'm curious how many there actually were in the race and the A-mains!
Just my 2$
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya TB Evo 6-team-r1-smaller.jpg  

Last edited by maxepower; 09-18-2015 at 09:59 AM.
Old 09-18-2015, 12:18 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (96%+)

MAC853, As Mike Rydwell from Exotek pointed out, the EXO6 with very little time to set the car up for the ROAR Nat's was very fast. Where the chassis really showed a noticeable difference was in it's corner speed and the amazing forward bite out of the corners. The car was so good that I was able to keep pace with 13.5T cars through the infield portions of the Tamiya circuit which I would consider to be more of a technical track.
The revised layout of the motor mount on the EXO6 allows for all of the torque to be directed back to the center line of the chassis with no torque steer. The forward bite was so good, it took me a couple of battery packs to get used to it and I run a lot of modified! Corner speed was awesome too. I had a number of drivers approach me after some of our practice runs ask what I had changed on the car to make it rotate so well. I told them I switched from a belt to a shaft drive car.
As much as I love the EXO6 on asphalt, where I really see it coming into it's own is on carpet where the traction is higher and more consistent. It will not only be good in the 21.T and 17.5T classes, I think it will really shine in 13.5T where all of the power can be laid down on a higher grip surface.
For all of you guys who like to run VTA this is the chassis for you. No need to drop $7-800 on an Awesomatix to get the performance advantage of a shaft drive car. If you've got a TBO4 or even an EVO6 sitting around that your not using for TCS racing, for a $150 bucks the Exotek conversion will transform these chassis's into a REALLY competitive car.

Last edited by Leester; 09-18-2015 at 02:13 PM.
Old 09-18-2015, 12:29 PM
OVA
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Leester
MAC853, As Mike Rydwell from Exotek pointed out, the EXO6 with very little time to set the car up for the ROAR Nat's was very fast. Where the chassis really showed a noticeable difference was in it's corner speed and the amazing forward bite out of the corners. The car was so good that I was able to keep pace with 13.5T cars through the infield portions of the Tamiya circuit which I would consider to be more of a technical track.
The revised layout of the motor mount on the EXO6 allows for all of the torque to be directed back to the center line of the chassis with no torque steer. The forward bite was so good, it took me a couple of battery packs to get used to it and I run a lot of modified! Corner speed was awesome too. I had a number of drivers approach me after some of our practice runs ask what I had changed on the car to make it rotate so well. I told them I switched from a belt to a shaft drive car.
As much as I love the EXO6 on asphalt, where I really see it coming into it's own is on carpet where the traction is higher and more consistent. It will not only be good in the 21.T and 17.5T classes, I think it will really shine in 13.5T where all of the power can be laid down on a higher grip surface.
For all of you guys who like to run VTA this is the chassis for you. No need to drop $7-800 on an Awesomatix to get the performance advantage of a shaft drive car. If you've got a TBO3,TBO4 or even an EVO6 sitting around that your not using for TCS racing, for a $150 bucks the Exotek conversion will transform these chassis's into a really competitive car.
Hi Leester
I agreed the EX06 is an awesome chassis..
Old 09-19-2015, 07:17 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Leester
For all of you guys who like to run VTA this is the chassis for you. No need to drop $7-800 on an Awesomatix to get the performance advantage of a shaft drive car. If you've got a TBO4 or even an EVO6 sitting around that your not using for TCS racing, for a $150 bucks the Exotek conversion will transform these chassis's into a REALLY competitive car.
Thanks for reply.
Old 09-20-2015, 01:42 PM
Tech Rookie

Hello,

Received my exo6 kit, very nice kit! Finish and fittings are great.

Anyway, noticed 3 points that surprised me:
- An additional 6x10x3 bearing is needed for rear diff, maybe I missed that, but I didn't see it written down...
- I noticed that Exo6 upper deck diff holes pitch is a bit smaller than tamiya one (check pic attached, about 1.75mm)?? shorter lower deck ? Didn't' check that... I don't care, it can be installed without stressing the chassis, so no problem with that!
- Cannot fit tamiya 66T spur gear as gear is slightly hitting lower deck slot (gear not centred with the slot)- not no go for this point - but major point is that I cannot install upper deck due to gear diameter..... running 6.5T motor so don't need smaller spur gear... Will have to machine one deck myself...

Once the upper deck point fixed, let's try it.

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya TB Evo 6-upper-deck.jpg  
Old 09-20-2015, 03:25 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by starefly
Hello,

Received my exo6 kit, very nice kit! Finish and fittings are great.

Anyway, noticed 3 points that surprised me:
- An additional 6x10x3 bearing is needed for rear diff, maybe I missed that, but I didn't see it written down...
- I noticed that Exo6 upper deck diff holes pitch is a bit smaller than tamiya one (check pic attached, about 1.75mm)?? shorter lower deck ? Didn't' check that... I don't care, it can be installed without stressing the chassis, so no problem with that!
- Cannot fit tamiya 66T spur gear as gear is slightly hitting lower deck slot (gear not centred with the slot)- not no go for this point - but major point is that I cannot install upper deck due to gear diameter..... running 6.5T motor so don't need smaller spur gear... Will have to machine one deck myself...

Once the upper deck point fixed, let's try it.

Cheers
Hi,

The Exotek top plate is not designed to swap with the stock top plate. We have moved the gearboxes slightly to improve dog bone angles and grip.

The EXO-SIX is designed for spec and stock class racing as is noted. To use the chassis in modified classes is too extreme and difficult to drive as with any inline drive shaft car. For modified racing the Tamiya Belt cars are much more superior than a shaft drive design.

Best,

Mike
Old 09-20-2015, 03:44 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Hi Mike,
Ran my Exo 6 for the first time last week and it's much better than the original Tamiya layout. Also noticed that an extra 10x6 bearing is required for the rear diff shaft, luckily I had a spare one. Maybe something you need to address?

Apart from that the build went well and everything fitted together really nicely.

Also you can use much taller gearing than the original kit. I run 21.5 and need VERY tall gearing. With the conversion kit I can run 49/42 gearing with ease which I couldn't do with the box standard setup!

Keep up the great work Mike!
Old 09-20-2015, 04:15 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Ran the Exo6 on carpet today. It was pretty good right of the bench as a 21.5 / USGT car. Lots of steering.
Old 09-20-2015, 07:31 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

Rob would you care to share your starting set-up?
Old 09-20-2015, 08:30 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I ran my EXO 6 last night the car was great even though I think I had it setup too soft. the car was responsive and fast needed just bit more punch out of the corners but I had one of the best races I had all year traded the lead back and fourth with very good driver and we put on a real show he had the faster car but I had a car that gave him no where to pass till I made a small mistake on the second to the last lap. The car is fun to drive need more punch will work on that for the next race in two weeks.
thanks mike for a great car.
Old 09-20-2015, 08:34 PM
Tech Master

Could somebody tell me the exact size of those 3X6 bearing of lipo rail on EXO6, please?

Best regards
Old 09-20-2015, 09:14 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by theproffesor
Rob would you care to share your starting set-up?
I'd have to figure out a way to do a setup sheet but basically d/d blocks front, xb/b rear, yokomo blue springs f/r, 37.5 oil f/r, shocks 2 holes from all the way leaned in, #2 hole on the bulkhead, 2* camber. 1mm spacer under all the suspension blocks, 1.5mm droop f, 2mm rear, 5.5mm ride ht. Bluw swaybar frt, yellow rear. Spool ft, gear diff 2k rear

I'll try to get a setup sheet done tomorrow. Car was good, but there is more there, it's certainly not perfect.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.