Search
Like Tree164Likes

Tamiya TB Evo 6

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2015, 10:02 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 83 (100%+)

Originally Posted by KORSA
Anyone who run modified class with 4.5 turns motor?
Is the car and transmission reliable or there are problems with striped gears?
Many thanks!!!
As a rookie running usgt and vts i have to ask, WHY!? I drove a friend's 17.5 and i can't even comprehend what a 4.5 might feel like
Old 06-13-2015, 02:52 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Originally Posted by e58105419
The 20T miter Gear used metal gear + plastic gear
Interesting....

Why plastic and metal instead of metal and metal? They mesh better? Lesser noise?
Old 06-15-2015, 08:03 PM
Tech Master

I can't seem to find the light weight drive train part numbers for the TB04. I believe there's (3) different parts and the light weight gear diff. If anyone can post the part numbers I would really appreciate the help. Thanks
Old 06-15-2015, 08:07 PM
OVA
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Juan Aveytia
I can't seem to find the light weight drive train part numbers for the TB04. I believe there's (3) different parts and the light weight gear diff. If anyone can post the part numbers I would really appreciate the help. Thanks
Hi Juan
I got those on my TB04 pro
I am not running the TB04 any more..I will sell those to you if you wanted them..let me know ..PM back - Franko
Old 06-15-2015, 08:30 PM
Tech Master

Franco, I sent you a pm. Email for me is easier. [email protected]
Old 06-26-2015, 09:02 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Talking Inquireing minds want to know

Originally Posted by e58105419
The 20T miter Gear used metal gear + plastic gear
Who makes the metal gear for the Evo 6 ?
Thanks in advance!
Old 06-27-2015, 02:17 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by maxepower
Thanks in advance!
Tamiya makes them I have some they fit on the spur gear to drive shaft. I got the info from the TB04 thread.i think they are for a frog.
Old 06-30-2015, 06:58 AM
Tech Initiate

The is made in TAMIYA
http://www.tqrcracing.com/shop/produ....asp?p_id=7051

Originally Posted by maxepower
Thanks in advance!
Old 07-08-2015, 07:31 AM
Tech Master

So I've finally finished reading this entire thread and I'm still not convinced about pulling the trigger on one of these. I've been racing off-road for a few years now (2wd Mod Buggy and 1/8 Ebuggy) and would like to start racing onroad with the local club. They're biggest class is 17.5 blinky TC. Most of the guys run X-Ray or a similar clone. I've always had a soft spot for Tamiya since they're responsible for starting my RC fever. The parts fitment issues I've read about are a little troubling to me. So I've got a few questions.
1. How long will parts be available for this? As I understand it's a limited production item.
2. How well does it hold up to kissing pipe as compared to the competition?
3. Is it normal to have to add or remove a bunch of shims in TC racing to make parts fit properly?
4. Is the kit worth the money for what I want to do compared to other Tamiya offerings?

Any help you folks can provide would be very much appreciated. Thanks for reading.
Old 07-08-2015, 07:57 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Hinecken
So I've finally finished reading this entire thread and I'm still not convinced about pulling the trigger on one of these. I've been racing off-road for a few years now (2wd Mod Buggy and 1/8 Ebuggy) and would like to start racing onroad with the local club. They're biggest class is 17.5 blinky TC. Most of the guys run X-Ray or a similar clone. I've always had a soft spot for Tamiya since they're responsible for starting my RC fever. The parts fitment issues I've read about are a little troubling to me. So I've got a few questions.
1. How long will parts be available for this? As I understand it's a limited production item.
2. How well does it hold up to kissing pipe as compared to the competition?
3. Is it normal to have to add or remove a bunch of shims in TC racing to make parts fit properly?
4. Is the kit worth the money for what I want to do compared to other Tamiya offerings?

Any help you folks can provide would be very much appreciated. Thanks for reading.
Wow. How much of your life have you wasted to read all this dribble?

Dude, do yourself a favour and get an Xray. There is a reason why your mates run them.

That said, if you still want to go nowhere slowly, get the Evo 6. Your feeling is right. This is not a competitive car, and it will take a lot of work to even get close. And money. All in all, you'll probably spend more than a new Xray kit.

But if you're really hellbent on Tamiya, why not look at their belt (race proven) cars?

And no, shimming should not be necessary in the century of all-CNC stuff. Most kits don't really need any, but such are these threads, people run out of topics.
Old 07-08-2015, 08:07 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by niznai
Wow. How much of your life have you wasted to read all this dribble?

Dude, do yourself a favour and get an Xray. There is a reason why your mates run them.

That said, if you still want to go nowhere slowly, get the Evo 6. Your feeling is right. This is not a competitive car, and it will take a lot of work to even get close. And money. All in all, you'll probably spend more than a new Xray kit.

But if you're really hellbent on Tamiya, why not look at their belt (race proven) cars?

And no, shimming should not be necessary in the century of all-CNC stuff. Most kits don't really need any, but such are these threads, people run out of topics.
Lol, reading long ass threads is how I kill down time at work. I also like to get as informed as I can before I ask questions as most of the time they've already been asked.

This chassis attracted me because I like the idea of shaft drive, and it's cheaper than the '19.

Main reason I don't want the X-ray is simply because I like straying from the heard. Part of the fun of this hobby for me is chasing set up and having to figure things out rather than just copy the local fast guy. I'm a glutton for punishment. So is the '19 worth the extra coin, or is there another belt drive option from Tamiya I should check out?
Old 07-08-2015, 08:56 AM
Tech Elite

Yeah, I'd say the 419 is the best option outside Xray, or the BD7 from Yokomo if you're so inclined. The Evo6 may be cheaper but again there is a reason why it is.

Tamiya is not innovative, but has ironed out some kinks in the innovations of others and the 419 (you are lucky you didn't get the 418 which I have) has accumulated all these improvements. The 418 is not a bad car either, but the 419 is better. The 418 is what I would call a transition chassis. They still had the old gear diffs with problems from the 417?, they tested a new sort of suspension pillow blocks (which they dumped immediately for the 419's setup), they didn't have the C-hubs ready, they had an old style motor mount, and old dampers and so on.

The Evo 6 has no chance to get anywhere near the 419 in a race. Tamiya just likes to test things out, and perhaps in the future we'll see a good machine coming out of these tests, but they ain't there yet. Shaft cars are good for stock racing when they get to Awesomatix standard, so Tamiya might have an eye on that market, but in mod, belt cars seem to have the upper hand. Big time. Like 100% big time.

Back to shaft drive, I am wondering if the TB04 would not be better than the Evo 6 looking at feedback from users. That comparison aside, in classes up to 13.5 (talking blinky here) I think the old Yokomo SD SSG would still give the Evo6/TB04 a good run for the money if not beat it outright. I run one of these (amongst many other oddities) in 21.5 and despite my 100g weight penalty, I still make the top three (agains modern belt cars like BD7 and Xray) so there you go. Not that you'd be able to find an SSG nowadays (though you'd really stray form the herd if you did).

Ultimately, hey, if you wanna give it a go, why the hell not? Get the Evo6 and show them what you're made of!

Last edited by niznai; 07-08-2015 at 09:06 PM.
Old 07-08-2015, 09:31 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

If you want to stray from the herd AND have a FAST car, get an Awesomatix.....
Old 07-08-2015, 09:35 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by niznai
Back to shaft drive, I am wondering if the TB04 would not be better than the Evo 6 looking at feedback from users. That comparison aside, in classes up to 13.5 (talking blinky here) I think the old Yokomo SD SSG would still give the Evo6/TB04 a good run for the money if not beat it outright. I run one of these (amongst many other oddities) in 21.5 and despite my 100g weight penalty, I still make the top three (agains modern belt cars like BD7 and Xray) so there you go. Not that you'd be able to find an SSG nowadays (though you'd really stray form the herd if you did).

Ultimately, hey, if you wanna1 6953748 give it a go, why the hell not? Get the Evo6 and show them what you're made of!
I have both aTB04 and a EVO6 and I would not recommend a TB04 to anyone this car is slow in USGT or VTA it was several tenths off the pace. I race a EVO6 in USGT very competitive even a TB03 is a better race car.
I have 2 of those metal drive gears for a EVO6 or a TB04 if anyone wants to buy them.
Old 07-08-2015, 09:41 AM
Tech Master

Big thanks for all the honest replies. I was afraid the fanboys would jump in and tell me Tamiya or bust regardless of the truth. You on-road guys are a different breed than what I'm used to 👍👍😜😬

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.