R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree11Likes

Old 11-20-2015, 06:35 AM   #1336
Tech Elite

Should be perfectly fine. Remember these balldiffs handled low turn mod motors before we had gear diffs.

Why turn back to those though? You'll have a lot of maintenance. The Evo 6 gear diff is fine if you change to steel gears and cross shafts. A better alternative would be the Yokomo gear diff they have in their drift cars, but you need to modify things a bit. I have not done it this way, but the other way around (modified Evo diffs to go in my SD car). That was a lot of work because the casing of the Evo diff is larger diameter, so I had to machine it down a bit to fit and take the crown wheel of the Yokomo, hence I assume the other way around is going to be easier. One crucial point is that the diff screw pattern is the same on both diffs otherwise I could not have transplanted the crown wheel.

I also had to machine down a bit the Yokomo drive pinion because it is longer, so didn't clear the diff housing. Again, going the other way, you won't have this problem.

The best upgrade to any car is some driver skill.
niznai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 06:39 AM   #1337
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by donatelli View Post
Hi all, I wanna to try the ball diff on my Exo-Six. May I know if the ball diff (#51549) is capable to handle 13.5T blinky? Thanks!
Should work fine
Quite a few cars are running rear balls diffs again, I assumed it was due to the lower weight ?

I have not tried one yet though

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing."
― Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr.
RedBullFiXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 07:04 AM   #1338
Tech Initiate

Thanks for the reply. It's true that gear diff requires less maintenance but it also carries higher rotational mass. I don't satisfy with the acceleration out of the corner. So wonder if ball diff should help or not.
donatelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 07:53 AM   #1339
Tech Elite

I see a lot of people worry about all this stuff. Let's say it does. So what? If everybody uses the same diff, they'll all be disadvantaged equally.

But I don't think you could prove that. After all, if that was a disadvantage, nobody in a top competition would use a gear diff. Yes, there may be a small weight penalty with the associated drawbacks in terms of mass, but I think the ball diff comes with its own problems. I think the ball diff is more prone to power loss due to slip so any kinetic momentum disadvantage due to the gear diff will be more than compensated for by no slippage.

If your car does not pull out of corners fast enough, I would suggest you make sure and eliminate all other possibilities before looking at the diff.

Have you actually weighed the two diffs to compare?

Old 11-20-2015, 08:00 AM   #1340
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Thanks for the reply. It's true that gear diff requires less maintenance but it also carries higher rotational mass. I don't satisfy with the acceleration out of the corner. So wonder if ball diff should help or not.
If you want more drive out of the corner you could switch to a front spool or go heavier on the front diff fluid. Front spool likely the lightest option if you are worried about rotational mass.
Old 11-20-2015, 08:07 AM   #1341
Tech Elite

Yes, that would be one way. Come to think of it, I actually switched to a front one way and that was better than the spool (I am running 13.5 blinky as well FWIW). A spool will inherently add some loss of power due to the wheels fighting each other and there's no going away from the understeer (which can be a good thing, but not always). Then again, the one way is not always the best option. One thing is for sure. I think you need to adapt your driving to the car setup/track conditions as well.

Old 11-20-2015, 09:34 AM   #1342
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by niznai View Post
Yes, that would be one way. Come to think of it, I actually switched to a front one way and that was better than the spool (I am running 13.5 blinky as well FWIW). A spool will inherently add some loss of power due to the wheels fighting each other and there's no going away from the understeer (which can be a good thing, but not always). Then again, the one way is not always the best option. One thing is for sure. I think you need to adapt your driving to the car setup/track conditions as well.
Yep, that is key. Is the increase in drive out of the corner enough to outweigh the change in feel everywhere else? Personally I love the way my car drives with a spool. I tend to go faster with a gear diff. One-way was just scary. LOL
Old 11-20-2015, 04:31 PM   #1343
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (96%+)

Quote:
Check out posts #1156 and #1187 for information on how I lightened my drive train. There is an 11 gram difference between a Tamiya gear diff 25 grams and a ball diff 14 grams. There are additional things you can do to lighten the drive train significantly and are mentioned in the posts above. There is also a video in post #1187 that demonstrates how quickly this car rotates and accelerates out of the corners. The lightened drive train also allows you to drive deeper into the corners and brake later.
Maintenance of the ball diff running stock (17.5 or 13.5) is about the same as refilling your leaky gear diff
Leester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 07:12 PM   #1344
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaz955i View Post
Yep, that is key. Is the increase in drive out of the corner enough to outweigh the change in feel everywhere else? Personally I love the way my car drives with a spool. I tend to go faster with a gear diff. One-way was just scary. LOL
The main reason in changing to a one way was that my track has a lot of corners and some tricky switchbacks. When drive is transferred from one side of the car to the other very quickly, the spool is counterproductive and actually slows the car down. The one way reacts instantly. But yes, you are right, you have to change your driving to suit.

Old 11-21-2015, 07:16 AM   #1345
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leester View Post
Check out posts #1156 and #1187 for information on how I lightened my drive train. There is an 11 gram difference between a Tamiya gear diff 25 grams and a ball diff 14 grams. There are additional things you can do to lighten the drive train significantly and are mentioned in the posts above. There is also a video in post #1187 that demonstrates how quickly this car rotates and accelerates out of the corners. The lightened drive train also allows you to drive deeper into the corners and brake later.
Maintenance of the ball diff running stock (17.5 or 13.5) is about the same as refilling your leaky gear diff
Thanks a lot for the advice!
Old 11-23-2015, 06:35 AM   #1346
Tech Adept

Just wondering is Tamiya Evo 6 a member or can be considered as part of the TRF family, as the design and quality is just like a TRF's car?
Kakaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 03:34 AM   #1347
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leester View Post
May I know if there is any reinforced ball diff ring (40T) or not? Thanks!
Old 11-26-2015, 10:49 AM   #1348
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Is it true that there is an aluminium chassis coming out for the Evo6?
Emaculant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 01:40 PM   #1349
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

It's for the Exo6 conversion
The brighter the picture, the darker the negative. USVTA member #112
theproffesor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 05:56 PM   #1350
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (96%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emaculant View Post
Is it true that there is an aluminium chassis coming out for the Evo6?
Check out the photos on post #1268. This chassis should be available for the Exotek EXO6 conversion sometime early in December.
Leester is offline   Reply With Quote