R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree11Likes

Old 11-01-2015, 05:21 AM   #1246
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (90%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakaru View Post
Just wondering with the default Tamiya Evo 6's stock spur gear (I can't remember how many teeths), what is the recommended pnion gear should I use to install on a 10.T and 8.5T motor? I have both 10.5T and 8.5T motors.

Please advise and thank you in advance.
I could be wrong but gearing is more dependent on track size, so best bet is to ask around your local track to get a rough average.
TenzoR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 06:12 AM   #1247
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenzoR View Post
I could be wrong but gearing is more dependent on track size, so best bet is to ask around your local track to get a rough average.
Thanks for your prompt reply. However, I always thought the track size is more of a question pertaining to the power of the motor and not pinion gear. Therefore, regardless of the track, I have a 10.5T motor and 8.5T motor and what I'm trying to know is the "sweet spot" or recommended spur gear to be installed on these 2 motors only

Thank you.
Kakaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 08:05 AM   #1248
Tech Adept

Quote:
Thanks for your prompt reply. However, I always thought the track size is more of a question pertaining to the power of the motor and not pinion gear. Therefore, regardless of the track, I have a 10.5T motor and 8.5T motor and what I'm trying to know is the "sweet spot" or recommended spur gear to be installed on these 2 motors only

Thank you.
Sorry for the typo in my last sentence. What I meant was the recommended pinion gear size and not spur gear.
Old 11-02-2015, 08:50 AM   #1249
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Quote:
Sorry for the typo in my last sentence. What I meant was the recommended pinion gear size and not spur gear.
No matter the motor wind, or track
Gearing is always subjective

Especially when comparing a shaft car with a belt car

10.5 & 8.5 are also unusual motors for this car
Most run 13.5 or higher
RedBullFiXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 09:10 AM   #1250
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

First outing with my cars this weekend. 17.5 was hooked up but I stripped two Spurs in the first two laps so that car was done for the day. I had xenon Spurs that I think were to soft for this car. On my usgt I had a arc spur and it held up. Had a hard time getting it dialed. Same setup at first as my 17.5 but had to drop the shocks all the way down in rear to get any kind of traction. I didn't get enough real practice in to try any other changes. I was thinking I needed to change diff oil from the 2k I had in it to maybe 1k. That might of got the rear from coming around to much in corners. Other than that I liked the way they felt. Lots of steering.
Josh-n-ya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 09:50 AM   #1251
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 35 (97%+)
Send a message via AIM to King of B Main

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh-n-ya View Post
First outing with my cars this weekend. 17.5 was hooked up but I stripped two Spurs in the first two laps so that car was done for the day. I had xenon Spurs that I think were to soft for this car. On my usgt I had a arc spur and it held up. Had a hard time getting it dialed. Same setup at first as my 17.5 but had to drop the shocks all the way down in rear to get any kind of traction. I didn't get enough real practice in to try any other changes. I was thinking I needed to change diff oil from the 2k I had in it to maybe 1k. That might of got the rear from coming around to much in corners. Other than that I liked the way they felt. Lots of steering.
I was running 3000 and was having your same problem and I went up to 5000 and no longer have my car over rotating

Last edited by King of B Main; 11-02-2015 at 12:06 PM.
King of B Main is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 10:22 AM   #1252
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
What surface are you driving on? How do you sauce your tires? I use the stock chassis with Robinson spur gears never stripped and run 5000 on med-high grip indoor carpet.
Emaculant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 11:29 AM   #1253
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (96%+)

Quote:
Don't know what surface your running on (asphlat or carpet) to help with setup but the same thing happened to me but stripped a single spur The mesh with 64P gears is hard to see and get just right with the orientation of the motor. Mike Rydwell suggested running 48P gears since it is much easier to set mesh. He runs them on his EXO 6 and EXO HPI Pro4. I switched to 48P gears and haven't and a problem since. Robinson Racing has a 48P spur gear that works fine. I use the #1860 "Pro" Machined Spur Gear, 60T (robinsonracing.com). It fits fine with lots of clearance with the top deck. Running 17.5T I use 37 thru 42 tooth pinion gears that give me an FDR of 3.94 to 3.47 (using EVO5/TB03 gears) which works fine for all of the tracks that I race at. I think you could go a tooth smaller and a tooth bigger on the pinions if you had to and still have no clearance issues.
Leester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 11:47 AM   #1254
Tech Elite

Yeah it was carpet. I was told to go lighter in the diff to solve the loose issue. I guess I will try both. Got a few arc Spurs ordered to see if that helps first before I try anything else. Didn't have any more arc one that size to try. Next time!
Old 11-02-2015, 11:55 AM   #1255
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

Have you tried the set-up I posted a few days ago? My cars a pretty hooked up both 17.5 and USGT. The set-ups need tweaking, but are very drivable on medium grip carpet.
The brighter the picture, the darker the negative. USVTA member #112
theproffesor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 12:42 PM   #1256
Tech Champion

Interesting

Have a few days on my exo-six on med grip rug. It can be described as too stuck, with too much chassis roll, also needs more rotation, this is on Ride GT spec tires, or Sorex 32

I have work to do, but the car has never been loose

64p gears fine here, as a 1/12 guy I have always been picky about gear mesh, not easy on this ride, but not that difficult with some patience, and a ball hex driver

What body are you running Josh ?

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing."
― Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr.
Old 11-02-2015, 03:12 PM   #1257
OVA
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)

Quote:
Yeah it was carpet. I was told to go lighter in the diff to solve the loose issue. I guess I will try both. Got a few arc Spurs ordered to see if that helps first before I try anything else. Didn't have any more arc one that size to try. Next time!
Hi Josh
There are two things you can do
One is to move the battery forward to reduced the off power steering or less droops
For on power , move one hole outer on the shock tower and thinning diff oil
fyi I am still running 64th pitch
Old 11-02-2015, 04:27 PM   #1258
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBullFiXX View Post
No matter the motor wind, or track
Gearing is always subjective

Especially when comparing a shaft car with a belt car

10.5 & 8.5 are also unusual motors for this car
Most run 13.5 or higher
Yeah... I know that 10.5T and 8.5T are pretty fast to run on a track. I bought these motors for my drift car actuallt. However, I do not want to waste additional money to buy another motor.

I agree with you that gearing is very subjective but I just want to hear some exoerienced users' recommendations on roughtly what kind of pinion gear size to be used with my 2 existing motors. It need not be very precise but just based on your experience. Btw, Im using the default out-of-the-box spur gear (I don't know how many teeths does it have).

Thank you.
Old 11-02-2015, 06:44 PM   #1259
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by theproffesor View Post
Have you tried the set-up I posted a few days ago? My cars a pretty hooked up both 17.5 and USGT. The set-ups need tweaking, but are very drivable on medium grip carpet.
Yeah I was using your setup minus the springs. I was using yokomo yellows in front and I believe blue in rear. Shock oil and position the same and 2k diff oil. Way loose. So much front traction and way loose in rear. I reduced camber in front to -1 and turned my duel rate down to like 50. Dropped the rear shocks a notch at a time down to bottom. Using the damn spec usgt tires. New tires were horrible so I used a set of old and that helped a bit. Body was nsx at first then switched to Cadillac. Have a feeling it's a gear diff issue. My 17.5 car felt good but not enough time to play with due to stripped spurs. Mesh was good but have a feeling it was the xenon gear quality issue. Not sure!
Old 11-02-2015, 06:52 PM   #1260
Tech Champion

Quote:
Yeah I was using your setup minus the springs. I was using yokomo yellows in front and I believe blue in rear. Shock oil and position the same and 2k diff oil. Way loose. So much front traction and way loose in rear. I reduced camber in front to -1 and turned my duel rate down to like 50. Dropped the rear shocks a notch at a time down to bottom. Using the damn spec usgt tires. New tires were horrible so I used a set of old and that helped a bit. Body was nsx at first then switched to Cadillac. Have a feeling it's a gear diff issue. My 17.5 car felt good but not enough time to play with due to stripped spurs. Mesh was good but have a feeling it was the xenon gear quality issue. Not sure!
New USGT tires need to soak at least 30m with SXT to have decent grip
2nd run should be good, by the 3rd they are as good as they will get, this is from my recent experience with them on carpet

Also, and I hate to say it, but, ditch the Caddy, I liked that body on asphalt, but it's not so special on the rug

Hard to believe you are stripping Xenon spur & pinion gears with proper mesh...
Those are by far the best gears available

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing."
― Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr.