R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree23Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-26-2015, 07:02 AM   #1216
Tech Elite
 
theproffesor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Lugoff SC
Posts: 2,770
Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)
Default

Mine is whisper quiet. I am running the plastic diff gears (sanded). And I shimmed the ring and pinion gears (diff input and main diff gears) front and rear so there is just a tick of play.

I am also running the EXO conversion and never ran it with the transvers motor.

I love the sound of a shaft drive over a belt drive. And this thing brakes extremely hard. Had to turn turn down my initial brake setting on my speedo.
__________________
The brighter the picture, the darker the negative. USVTA member #112
theproffesor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 07:22 AM   #1217
Tech Regular
 
Emaculant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 380
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnn27 View Post
Are you running metal diff gears ?
Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivo quevas View Post
If your drive train is noisy you have damaged the ring or the pinion gear one is missing a tooth most likely. You may need shim the pinion out or shim the crown gear. Mine was noisy and that was the problem when ever I here a noise that is what I check for
What ring? Which pinion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by theproffesor View Post
Mine is whisper quiet. I am running the plastic diff gears (sanded). And I shimmed the ring and pinion gears (diff input and main diff gears) front and rear so there is just a tick of play.

I am also running the EXO conversion and never ran it with the transvers motor.

I love the sound of a shaft drive over a belt drive. And this thing brakes extremely hard. Had to turn turn down my initial brake setting on my speedo.
I have the EXO conversion but I'm running it stock with the transverse motor mount for now. What size shims on what part of the pinion?
Emaculant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 09:57 AM   #1218
Tech Master
 
vivo quevas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Central, Ca.
Posts: 1,158
Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emaculant View Post
Yes.



What ring? Which pinion?



I have the EXO conversion but I'm running it stock with the transverse motor mount for now. What size shims on what part of the pinion?
On the shaft the pinion is mounted to also the diff shims they are in your kit the ring and Pinion need the slightest amount of lash.
__________________
Awesomatix A800 USGT, Awesomatix 800 VTA, , Tamiya Euro Truck, CRC WTF1

http://localrcracing.freeforums.org/
HobbyTown Fresno, Ca. McAllister Racing, Visa/MasterCard's
vivo quevas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 11:09 AM   #1219
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 168
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh-n-ya View Post
Dave..what diff oil where you using? How was the feel?
A noob Jerez. Do you mean the diff oil to be filled up in the differential gear during setup? In the Evo 6 set up manual's supplement, it states that damper oil (clear) provided shall be used instead of differential oil, and I did accordingly. Am I wrong in this case? Thank you.
Kakaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 11:14 AM   #1220
Tech Master
 
vivo quevas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Central, Ca.
Posts: 1,158
Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakaru View Post
A noob Jerez. Do you mean the diff oil to be filled up in the differential gear during setup? In the Evo 6 set up manual's supplement, it states that damper oil (clear) provided shall be used instead of differential oil, and I did accordingly. Am I wrong in this case? Thank you.
You can buy aftermarket diff fluids. I use 1k-2k in my cars.
__________________
Awesomatix A800 USGT, Awesomatix 800 VTA, , Tamiya Euro Truck, CRC WTF1

http://localrcracing.freeforums.org/
HobbyTown Fresno, Ca. McAllister Racing, Visa/MasterCard's
vivo quevas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 11:24 AM   #1221
Tech Regular
 
Emaculant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 380
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivo quevas View Post
On the shaft the pinion is mounted to also the diff shims they are in your kit the ring and Pinion need the slightest amount of lash.
Are you guys adding any shims or are you using just what came with the kit? Can you send me a pic?
Emaculant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 11:57 AM   #1222
Tech Champion
 
RedBullFiXX's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Intergalactic Planetary
Posts: 6,542
Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emaculant View Post
Are you guys adding any shims or are you using just what came with the kit? Can you send me a pic?
Inline Exo here
Used some shims with kit, not all
Steel diff gears 5k
Sounds same as belt drive
RedBullFiXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 02:02 PM   #1223
Tech Adept
 
Michael@USPN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: NORCAL Baby!
Posts: 190
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBullFiXX View Post
Inline Exo here
Used some shims with kit, not all
Steel diff gears 5k
Sounds same as belt drive
Post a picture for all to see please
__________________
NORCAL HOBBIES | FAST PACE RACING | INSIDE LINE RACING
U.S.P.N. PAINTBALL | DAVIS PAINTBALL | NORCAL P.F.O.A.
TAMIYA EX05V2 | TC6.1 WC (2013 Reedy 17.5 A-main) | AWESOMATIX A700Lx2 17.5 & VTA
R1 Wurks Motors, Batts & Fans! | Tekin RS Gen2 | R1 Wurks Servos | Reflex Racing RSD Upgrades
Michael@USPN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 08:37 PM   #1224
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 168
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivo quevas View Post
You can buy aftermarket diff fluids. I use 1k-2k in my cars.
Well, the thing is I'm following the Evo 6 setup manual to use the stock clear damper oil to fill up my differential gear. Am I doing the right thing? Do I need to buy differential oil and rebuild my differential gear? I'm a noob in RC and this is my first time building a RC car.
Kakaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 10:18 PM   #1225
Tech Elite
 
Josh-n-ya's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Alameda, CA
Posts: 2,164
Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakaru View Post
Well, the thing is I'm following the Evo 6 setup manual to use the stock clear damper oil to fill up my differential gear. Am I doing the right thing? Do I need to buy differential oil and rebuild my differential gear? I'm a noob in RC and this is my first time building a RC car.
You did fine. Different thickness of diff fluid make the car act differently. I'm not sure what the thickness of the stock diff fluid is so I start with what most people start with and that's usually 2k. Haven't ran the car yet to decide what else to use yet.
Josh-n-ya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 10:39 PM   #1226
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 168
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh-n-ya View Post
You did fine. Different thickness of diff fluid make the car act differently. I'm not sure what the thickness of the stock diff fluid is so I start with what most people start with and that's usually 2k. Haven't ran the car yet to decide what else to use yet.
Thanks Josh. Glad that I am not in the wrong track of build the Evo 6 thus far. :-)
Kakaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 12:08 AM   #1227
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Perth
Posts: 103
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Exo Six missing part

Hi just wondering if anyone elses EXO Six conversion kit was missing any parts.
Mine arrived the other day missing the Alloy motor mount, have sent an email today so hoping for a reply tomorrow
__________________
Tamiya Evo 6 Exoteck, Associated TC4 FT, Tekin, D4 13.5
Toolmannz2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 02:53 AM   #1228
Tech Adept
 
Aitutaki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Austria
Posts: 167
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolmannz2 View Post
Hi just wondering if anyone elses EXO Six conversion kit was missing any parts.
Mine arrived the other day missing the Alloy motor mount, have sent an email today so hoping for a reply tomorrow
i was missing a m2x4 screw... luckily not the alloy motor mount..
a screw is easy to replace

and of course the ball bearing, which is missing in every kit...

Last edited by Aitutaki; 10-27-2015 at 05:25 AM.
Aitutaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 06:58 AM   #1229
Tech Elite
 
Josh-n-ya's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Alameda, CA
Posts: 2,164
Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolmannz2 View Post
Hi just wondering if anyone elses EXO Six conversion kit was missing any parts.
Mine arrived the other day missing the Alloy motor mount, have sent an email today so hoping for a reply tomorrow
When I ordered from Exotek yeah my motor mount was missing. Sent them a email and they said they had realized there mistake and it was shipped shortly after my kit was sent. Got it in the mail the next day. Good service!
Josh-n-ya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 07:08 AM   #1230
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Chino Hills, CA
Posts: 119
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

I had my first outing on the track with the Exo conversion a few days ago and it handled great. However, after five runs or so, I did notice the gold drive cup from the spur gear was starting to open up slightly. Not as wide as Aitutuki's but I am starting to get a little play between the cup and the plastic cap. Was there an error in my assembly or is this a known problem with the drive cup?
speed_dmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 11:40 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net