Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree23Likes

Old 09-20-2015, 11:07 PM   #1036
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pullstarter View Post
Hi Mike,
Ran my Exo 6 for the first time last week and it's much better than the original Tamiya layout. Also noticed that an extra 10x6 bearing is required for the rear diff shaft, luckily I had a spare one. Maybe something you need to address?

Apart from that the build went well and everything fitted together really nicely.

Also you can use much taller gearing than the original kit. I run 21.5 and need VERY tall gearing. With the conversion kit I can run 49/42 gearing with ease which I couldn't do with the box standard setup!

Keep up the great work Mike!
Thanks! Noted on the bearing- we updated that

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivo quevas View Post
I ran my EXO 6 last night the car was great even though I think I had it setup too soft. the car was responsive and fast needed just bit more punch out of the corners but I had one of the best races I had all year traded the lead back and fourth with very good driver and we put on a real show he had the faster car but I had a car that gave him no where to pass till I made a small mistake on the second to the last lap. The car is fun to drive need more punch will work on that for the next race in two weeks.
thanks mike for a great car.
Need beast mode! The newest R1's are insane

A picture with your post, when trouble shooting, will probably get more rctech help than without...
MikeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 12:10 PM   #1037
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by pullstarter View Post
Hi Mike,
Ran my Exo 6 for the first time last week and it's much better than the original Tamiya layout. Also noticed that an extra 10x6 bearing is required for the rear diff shaft, luckily I had a spare one. Maybe something you need to address?

Apart from that the build went well and everything fitted together really nicely.

Also you can use much taller gearing than the original kit. I run 21.5 and need VERY tall gearing. With the conversion kit I can run 49/42 gearing with ease which I couldn't do with the box standard setup!

Keep up the great work Mike!
Hi! You are using 48p? Where are you able to find 49 tooth please?

A picture with your post, when trouble shooting, will probably get more rctech help than without...
Old 09-21-2015, 12:29 PM   #1038
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by robk View Post
I'd have to figure out a way to do a setup sheet but basically d/d blocks front, xb/b rear, yokomo blue springs f/r, 37.5 oil f/r, shocks 2 holes from all the way leaned in, #2 hole on the bulkhead, 2* camber. 1mm spacer under all the suspension blocks, 1.5mm droop f, 2mm rear, 5.5mm ride ht. Bluw swaybar frt, yellow rear. Spool ft, gear diff 2k rear

I'll try to get a setup sheet done tomorrow. Car was good, but there is more there, it's certainly not perfect.
I can work with that. Thanks. I can't wait to get mine together and on the track.
The brighter the picture, the darker the negative. USVTA member #112
theproffesor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 06:23 PM   #1039
Tech Elite

IT ALL ARRIVED ON THE SAME DAY!!!

Old 09-21-2015, 06:25 PM   #1040
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Ohh you suck! I'll take one!

Yokomo YRX12
Tamiya TB03
JimmyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 10:05 PM   #1041
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtypec View Post
Here's a photo of the Exo 6 from last week's ROAR Nationals. With any luck, there'll be under hood photos somewhere-sometime

Some under hood shots, thanks!

http://www.exotekracing.com/exo-six-...sion-for-evo6/

Old 09-21-2015, 11:18 PM   #1042
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Edit:should have gone back one page.

Last edited by cplus; 09-22-2015 at 05:11 AM.
cplus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 07:31 AM   #1043
Tech Elite

So just started the build this morning. While so far I like the quality of the Tamiya parts, I am not too impressed with the instructions or the way the packaging is labeled. I've been in this hobby for a very long time. The instructions aren't too bad for a seasoned hobbyist, but still lack some good info. I do like how all the parts are down the side in actual size though. Where it's really lacking is the packaging. Yes there is a bag a and b and so forth, but there are also parts you need just in random bags. Other companies that aren't as old as Tamiya have figured this out. All parts needed for that step, including screws in one bag. Oh well. It's nothing that can't be overcome with a little thought and patience.

How does it very one feel about sealing the chassis. I have had several cars recently and never down this. Is it really that important now with the higher quality carbon fiber that is used on today's cars?
Old 09-22-2015, 11:25 AM   #1044
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Talking As far as kit building go, I rate it an 8 out of 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by theproffesor View Post
So just started the build this morning. While so far I like the quality of the Tamiya parts, I am not too impressed with the instructions or the way the packaging is labeled. I've been in this hobby for a very long time. The instructions aren't too bad for a seasoned hobbyist, but still lack some good info. I do like how all the parts are down the side in actual size though. Where it's really lacking is the packaging. Yes there is a bag a and b and so forth, but there are also parts you need just in random bags. Other companies that aren't as old as Tamiya have figured this out. All parts needed for that step, including screws in one bag. Oh well. It's nothing that can't be overcome with a little thought and patience.

How does it very one feel about sealing the chassis. I have had several cars recently and never down this. Is it really that important now with the higher quality carbon fiber that is used on today's cars?
I just sand off the rough edges round them a bit then go over it again with a finer sandpaper so it's nice and smooth so you don't get any splinters. I sometimes seal it but I don't believe it's necessary.
I experienced the same issue with my kit, I used to love finding all the pieces for each section of the chassis in it's own little bag and now you have to go searching in all the bags for certain length screws. What happened to Quality Control?
But, I am happy with my car as far as very consistent out of the box, nothing like a new car on the track for the first time!
Oh, what a feeling!
Just my 2$
"Tamiya Racer to Infinity and Beyond!"
maxepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 11:34 PM   #1045
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeR View Post
Hi! You are using 48p? Where are you able to find 49 tooth please?
Hi Mike,
Yes 48p, Robinson make 49t in 6 holes, available at Tower. You can only use 2 screw holes to mount rather than four but works fine.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXYGN2
pullstarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 05:11 PM   #1046
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to MrLesac

I know this thread is for the TB Evo6 but lately there has been a ton of talk about the Exo6.

SO, I decided to take my TB04 I won earlier this year at TCS and do something with it. Ive installed the Exo6 conversion, TB04 parts pack and the battery mounts, and here is the result. I thought it would be cool to post the before and after. Haven't had a chance to run it, but with the setup, I have nearly perfect weight distribution left to right and almost 50/50 front to rear as well. I should get a picture of it on my scales.
Only downside, is I cant use the trick little exotek heatsink on my motor anymore, the fins go the wrong way.

MrLesac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 05:36 PM   #1047
Tech Fanatic
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora La Reina de Los Ángeles del Río de Porciúncula, California, Unites States of America
Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Just got my conversion in the mail, I even ordered a heatsink with the conversion, too late now to know I won't be able to use it with the conversion.
Old 09-25-2015, 05:52 AM   #1048
Tech Elite

Why can't you use it. Directions of the fins don't really mean much. It's more about the surface area heat dissipation it provides. But it's still in the "correct" direction of you place a fan to the side of the motor.
Old 09-25-2015, 06:32 AM   #1049
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to MrLesac

Nothing saying you can't use it. It will undoubtedly increase surface area and still pull heat away, but it just looks like the fins go the wrong direction,
MrLesac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 01:24 PM   #1050
Tech Adept

i am not happy with the Exotek conversion kit until now. i hope my problems will be gone when i am finally driving it..

1.) the missing BallBearing (i had to buy an extra BB locally)-> for 200 Euros there could be 2 included instead of only one,
2.) poor Manual. -> no chance to build it like it is described. (Picture 7) ( the motor mount had to be removed again)
3.) One of the Screws "I" did not have a 1,5mm Imbus whole !!! it was not possible to fix the screw with any screwdriver i own... WTF ?
Please can anybody tell me what Screwdriver to use?? (the other "I" Screw could be tightened with an 1,5mm Screwdriver)
4.) Changing the Spur Gear will take a long time , as half of the car has to be disambled...
5.) why is an Rubber Spacer included which has to be cutted by hand ? it couldn't be that hard to include an already right-sized one...

but hopefully, all my sorrows will be blown away on the track.
but for that money you have to improve a little bit guys
Aitutaki is offline   Reply With Quote