R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-29-2014, 03:36 PM   #856
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigMBA View Post
Figure out what class you are going to race and on what surface. For me, the best handling bodies look the best.

Normally, I'm a Tamiya Championship Series racer so I run those. On carpet, I run the now obsolete 05 NSX. On asphalt, I'm inclined to run the AudiR8. The Protoform Camero is the best open GT body that is 190mm, but I can only run it very occasionally because of class rules.

In sedan, I run an old protoform Mazda 6 on carpet, and a LTCR on asphalt.

The most foolproof way to choose a body is find somebody fast and just copy what they do.
What class rules stop you from racing with us?
HobbyTown Fresno, Ca. McAllister Racing, Visa/MasterCard's
"Take an early lead and extend it".(Fast Eddie Janis)
vivo quevas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 06:48 PM   #857
blf
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
I run a Futaba 9551 almost exclusively. They are fast and, most importantly to me, hold center.

I have used the futaba bls551 (it's supposed to be the same) but don't like it. It's too sensitive on making small adjustments near the center. The new replacement to that piece is supposed to be programable. I talked to the Futaba guy at IIc but I didn't ask him why I'd want to program a servo when the 9551 works so awesome.
Ive ordered a 9551 but saw this ---- Futaba BLS571SV

is this any better?
blf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 10:58 PM   #858
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blf View Post

is this any better?
Please don't take offense, but these questions should be getting asked in either the Electronics or Rookie forums. That way others who are reading/learning can benefit from the answers you'll get, as would future searches.

"If you ain't first, you're last!"
- Ricky Bobby
metalnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 11:40 PM   #859
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blf View Post

is this any better?
Metalnut it is right, but I'll answer anyway.

The BLS571SV is the replacement for the BLS551. Both are slightly higher specification and featured than the 9551.

The 9551 uses a coreless motor instead of brushless and has marginally slower (0.10 vs 0.11) speed at 6V and torque specs that are within a bees proverbial.

BLS series = brushless.

Specs of the old 551 and new 571 are essentially identical (at the same voltage) except two keys things - it's s.bus compatible (program via PC) and can handle higher voltages. When using HV (not many 1/10th ESCs offer this yet) it does perform better on paper.

Is the 571 better? Yes, yes it is. But not by much in the grand scheme of things.

If you don't care about HV and s.bus and having a brushless motor (quieter, smoother, longer life, less power draw - usually) isn't imperative, the extra $$$$ wouldn't be worth it.

The 9551 is a very solid performer. The more expensive server won't make you faster.
cplus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 01:33 AM   #860
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivo quevas View Post
What class rules stop you from racing with us?
I think you missed me rattling my goals list off to Chris by like seconds.

Anyway, Nothing I guess, except that:

1. There is no TCS compliant GT2 class
2. There is no 13.5 class.
3. There is no Tekin spec gt or gt10 class.

But the real truth is I'm going to spend a lot of weekends in SoCal this next year. Getting ready for the Reedy (13.5), racing GT10 (california speedway and TQ), being competitive in Gt2, and doing some VTA racing at Roadrunners.

Plus I need the space and the rest. I miss living in SoCal.
* Cee Lo Dizzle, the Secizzle * Red Bull * Team Homies * Pintura de Negro Mate * USVTA #152
CraigMBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 05:20 AM   #861
blf
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalnut View Post
Please don't take offense, but these questions should be getting asked in either the Electronics or Rookie forums. That way others who are reading/learning can benefit from the answers you'll get, as would future searches.
No offense and understandable - just pushing to get answers as I was ordering parts in one fell swoop.
Old 12-30-2014, 05:28 AM   #862
blf
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by cplus View Post
Metalnut it is right, but I'll answer anyway.

The BLS571SV is the replacement for the BLS551. Both are slightly higher specification and featured than the 9551.

The 9551 uses a coreless motor instead of brushless and has marginally slower (0.10 vs 0.11) speed at 6V and torque specs that are within a bees proverbial.

BLS series = brushless.

Specs of the old 551 and new 571 are essentially identical (at the same voltage) except two keys things - it's s.bus compatible (program via PC) and can handle higher voltages. When using HV (not many 1/10th ESCs offer this yet) it does perform better on paper.

Is the 571 better? Yes, yes it is. But not by much in the grand scheme of things.

If you don't care about HV and s.bus and having a brushless motor (quieter, smoother, longer life, less power draw - usually) isn't imperative, the extra $$$$ wouldn't be worth it.

The 9551 is a very solid performer. The more expensive server won't make you faster.
Thanks for your time in explaining so thoroughly. I'll be sticking with my first choice. If someone searches under "Futaba 9551", they will get this section of the thread, so this will,in fact, be beneficial to others can't wait to build it
Old 01-05-2015, 05:45 PM   #863
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

For the current/former TB EVO 6 racers out there, what are your thoughts on this car? I'm looking at this and the 419 for a 17.5 spec class at our local HobbyTown. Any input is greatly appreciated!
Punched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 06:58 PM   #864
Tech Fanatic
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora La Reina de Los Ángeles del Río de Porciúncula
Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

I have a 418 and an Evo6.

The 419 is a pure racing pedigree.

Ev06 is a fast mutt, one with a shaft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punched View Post
For the current/former TB EVO 6 racers out there, what are your thoughts on this car? I'm looking at this and the 419 for a 17.5 spec class at our local HobbyTown. Any input is greatly appreciated!
Old 01-05-2015, 07:53 PM   #865
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
I think you missed me rattling my goals list off to Chris by like seconds.

Anyway, Nothing I guess, except that:

1. There is no TCS compliant GT2 class
2. There is no 13.5 class.
3. There is no Tekin spec gt or gt10 class.

But the real truth is I'm going to spend a lot of weekends in SoCal this next year. Getting ready for the Reedy (13.5), racing GT10 (california speedway and TQ), being competitive in Gt2, and doing some VTA racing at Roadrunners.

Plus I need the space and the rest. I miss living in SoCal.
Nobody else runs a TCS gt 2 class so that is a specious argument.

13.5 I feel ya

Gt10 come on man we run USGT and or GT3
Spec Gt 10 they have just had there first race?
Just going to call you out come on out and play with your old friends every once in a while. We bath most of us still have our teeth and brush them every once in a while. I bath on every Saturday night weather I need it or not!
Love ya man but that's weak argument on so many Levels!
HobbyTown Fresno, Ca. McAllister Racing, Visa/MasterCard's
"Take an early lead and extend it".(Fast Eddie Janis)
vivo quevas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 09:03 PM   #866
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivo quevas View Post
Nobody else runs a TCS gt 2 class so that is a specious argument.

13.5 I feel ya

Gt10 come on man we run USGT and or GT3
Spec Gt 10 they have just had there first race?
Just going to call you out come on out and play with your old friends every once in a while. We bath most of us still have our teeth and brush them every once in a while. I bath on every Saturday night weather I need it or not!
Love ya man but that's weak argument on so many Levels!
It's not specious. I'm going to spend weekends at Tamiya TFN so I can run gt2 for exactly three races. The best parts for GT3 aren't TCS legal. And, I'm a TCS racer first anymore. Gt2 comes first.

Gt10 runs spec tires and a 1365 weigh minimum. There's a lot of them in SoCal. I've ran it three times and haven't raced since 11/15. Between TQ and Cal Speedway and the grand club races I can two days every weekend.

Im racing in SoCal this next year. Maybe a couple of other trips. Going to do IIC, would like to do the Timezone Grand Prix, maybe snobirds. Maybe an EOC event.

But it is nonsense, kinda. I'll be stuck in Fresno for the rest of my life. This is my last (and frankly first) shot at racing big races with time, budget and the big gift everyone takes for granted - youth. Eyesight. Stuff like that.

What are you Fresno guys going to do when I return to playing poker, or start playing pool tournaments? Or when I get my cardio right, my weight under control and my knees fixed and start racing single speed mountain bikes?

* Cee Lo Dizzle, the Secizzle * Red Bull * Team Homies * Pintura de Negro Mate * USVTA #152
CraigMBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 12:42 PM   #867
blf
Tech Apprentice

Did any of/all of/none of you guys use the extra 2 shims in the diff? Im assuming they want me to build and fill the diff/check it then disassemble if needed?

Perhaps some are building without them then adding them after some wear/tolerance is lost?
Old 01-14-2015, 06:43 AM   #868
blf
Tech Apprentice

building a second diff for the front and/or a backup for rear and can't find the Tamiya 2x8 capheads in stock anywhere (9805831) --- will these be adequate? Is there a "better" 2x8 ? perhaps Ti?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HPI-2x8mm-Ca...-/290566727262
Old 01-14-2015, 08:49 AM   #869
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I use 54422 ti screw. but may sure use steel screw first otherwise it is too tight and may broke ti screw.

Still have: TB-03, TA05V2, TA06, M05, F201, F104V2, FF01, FF03, Jeep, TXT, King Hauler with oil tanker trailer.
And, TC-3 and Pro 2
TamiyaW1688 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 09:48 AM   #870
blf
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamiyaW1688 View Post
I use 54422 ti screw. but may sure use steel screw first otherwise it is too tight and may broke ti screw.
Will the HPI screw work fine?