Like Tree161Likes

Tamiya TB Evo 6

Old 10-16-2014, 07:31 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Worst87
@Metalnut: If you are looking for on-power steering, the most obvious change would be thicker oil in the REAR Diff.
Thicker rear diff oil will reduce off-power steering. Too much front droop perhaps? I've seen one of these cars set up for VTA practically box stock, and if anything it has too much steering...

If it were my choice to make, I'd go back to the setup that made the car oversteer, swapping the front diff for the spool. VTA success is rarely achieved with a car that's easy to drive, but YMMV...
Old 10-19-2014, 04:02 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Evo 6

is it any good I race 21.5
Old 10-19-2014, 06:59 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

I ran two race nights with a spool up front now, but I also swapped to a 5000mah battery to be able to put 25g behind the battery, to offset the motor weight. The car is at the minimum ~1450g, but still about 20g heavy on the motor corner.

Edit: to clarify, I know that moving all that weight to the rear will generate way more weight transfer to the front, thus the hooking/oversteer may be a result. I'm going to play with that. I want to stick with Yokomo pink/blue springs for now and play with camber links (length and level), as well as sway bars. I think this car can be fest, it just has SO much flex in the chassis that tuning it is a challenge.

As is, though, the car is not very driveable. So, lots of work to do. I have a 5 hour tuning session today that I'm hoping will help. If not... T4 2015, here I come.

Last edited by metalnut; 10-19-2014 at 07:50 AM.
Old 10-20-2014, 06:54 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (88%+)

The EVO6 need a harder frame.... the original frame is too soft and kill corner speed on Hi traction carpet !!! I worked hard on mine but the result was not as good has i want ! i put the car on a shelf and i bought a used awsomatix A700 with EXL frame for 250$
Old 10-20-2014, 08:36 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Quinny45
The EVO6 need a harder frame.... the original frame is too soft and kill corner speed on Hi traction carpet !!! I worked hard on mine but the result was not as good has i want ! i put the car on a shelf and i bought a used awsomatix A700 with EXL frame for 250$
Right, the flexibility is a problem. I ran the EVO at a different track yesterday, still CRC HD2 carpet but newer and less sticky. Traction was good and the EVO flew around the track really well. It's just that on my home track carpet the traction is WAY stickier and that makes things a lot worse.

Anyone find ways to stiffen this car up? A track mate suggested I try using two top decks, which sounds plausible.
Old 10-20-2014, 09:51 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I think you should try to add a carbon tube, just as we were used to do on the TC3

source: OverRc

In fact it depends if you are experimenting problems with flexion or torsion...
Old 10-20-2014, 12:06 PM
Tech Elite

Well, the EVO already has a top deck and so it's torsion that's the problem. The double top deck idea could help with that... I think. The torsion seems to generate a ton of grip, so much so that traction rolling and scrubbing speed are an issue on our super sticky carpet.
Old 10-20-2014, 12:53 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

You might try the double top deck. We used to do that with the HPI Pro4 on foam tires before thicker chassis plates were available.
Old 10-20-2014, 02:45 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by robk
You might try the double top deck. We used to do that with the HPI Pro4 on foam tires before thicker chassis plates were available.
I think I'll try that after I play with springs some more. Yokomo pink/blue works well on medium grip carpet, but on high grip I'm going to try green/yellow. I can't find any actual lb/inch figures for the Yokomo springs, so I'm just going up based on their chart.
Old 10-20-2014, 04:52 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Hth...
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya TB Evo 6-rsd_universal_spring_chart.jpg  
Old 10-20-2014, 07:14 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by big al
Hth...
I'm not sure what you're pointing out... that the Yokomo yellow seems harder than the pink?

I've used the RSD chart before and this is one result that confuses me. I would hope that the yellow is stiffer than blue, and that the green is stiffer than pink, like their chart suggests.

The other option I have is to try HPI Pro4 springs. Most people seem to like silvers all around, so I was going to try golds all around for our super sticky carpet, just to see how the car behaved.

I also have a full set of Spec-R springs, so that's an option.
Old 10-20-2014, 07:58 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by metalnut
I'm not sure what you're pointing out... that the Yokomo yellow seems harder than the pink?

I've used the RSD chart before and this is one result that confuses me. I would hope that the yellow is stiffer than blue, and that the green is stiffer than pink, like their chart suggests.

The other option I have is to try HPI Pro4 springs. Most people seem to like silvers all around, so I was going to try golds all around for our super sticky carpet, just to see how the car behaved.

I also have a full set of Spec-R springs, so that's an option.
I'm not pointing out anything. Just offering up information. Isn't that what the interweb is for?
Old 10-20-2014, 10:14 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by big al
I'm not pointing out anything. Just offering up information. Isn't that what the interweb is for?
Oh, hehe, sorry, I didn't mean to come off like a chump there. I actually saved the little paper chart that comes with the Yokomo springs, so I was basing my theory on that. It is a concern that RSD tested the yellow springs as stiffer than pink.

In any case, thank you for the help
Old 10-22-2014, 07:29 AM
Tech Rookie

a newbie Question how does this chassis handle on low to Medium asphalt outdoor tracks with a fair number of long straights & moderate radius turns?
I have an Evo III that I will be initially running in 21.5 Blinky
Old 10-22-2014, 07:49 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by shanem6793
a newbie Question how does this chassis handle on low to Medium asphalt outdoor tracks with a fair number of long straights & moderate radius turns?
I have an Evo III that I will be initially running in 21.5 Blinky
Given how much traction this car generates, I imagine it'd be really good on asphalt. Geared properly it is also very fast.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.