Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree164Likes

Tamiya TB Evo 6

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2014, 09:55 AM
Tech Master

Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora La Reina de Los Ángeles del Río de Porciúncula, California, Unites States of America
Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Originally Posted by niznai
Thank you. This picture is a lot more clear than just a comment.

One comment from me.

As others have pointed out already, a front spool or very stiff diff might make the difference of .1s or more between your cars disappear. Not sure if the EVO has a spool up front or not, but if it did, then your comparison is not on equal footing.

That said, there is another aspect. From your comments, it feels like it is your ability to drive that makes the most difference. The car ready to bite you is usually the one that could go faster. Been there, done that. If you have any memories of using oneway diffs (or pulleys) you will remember how they can bite you, but then again, they're perhaps the best. My reaction time is not what it used to be, but I do chuck a one way in my cars every now and then and try hard to get a good lap time. Usually it yields the best time and no matter how I try I can not replicate it with "normal" diffs/spools. The problem is I am no longer quick enough to handle a one way consistently lap after lap, so I'll have a brilliant lap and two crappy ones that'll ruin my time.

The point is, driving skill is key. A car on the edge is always going to be faster, and in the right hands consistent too. I would guess the TRF can be faster than the EVO and your story reinforces the point. You just have to step outside the comfort zone and contend with the risk. Tamiya cars have always been easy to drive out of the box, but in my experience, if you want more than this baseline stage, you need to push the setup beyond that, and yes, the car will be harder to drive, but faster. That's how Mark wins championships with the same car.
Just to clarify, the Evo had the stock spool on it and a slower motor. The 418 had the front diff (7k) and faster motor.

I know my experience isn't as fully qualified as faster racers but I'll get there! I'm really excited about onroad right now and want to improve in all areas. I think offroad will go on the back burner for now (I'm better at offroad than onroad)

After the races, I ran a few packs and had a fellow racer faster than I was, follow me for the entire pack. Giving me tips on protecting my line etc. I offered my 418 for him to drive, he fell in love with it.. in a half a battery pack he told me that if he had driven my car, he would have won the sportsman amain, now he wants a Tamiya His car was a AE TC6.1 Worlds I believe. My car looked real good with him behind the wheel too.
Old 09-04-2014, 10:22 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Dammit guys, we need more people driving, testing and raving about the EVO.6 in this thread, not the 418
Old 09-04-2014, 10:34 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

For battery holding/locating the Porterhouse 418 battery locators are by far the best solution I've found. They also allow the battery to be angled for balance if need be.

Hopefully he still has some in stock!

Mike
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya TB Evo 6-bt.jpg  
Old 09-04-2014, 10:41 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

TCS Nats are done, now I can 'play'.. Putting the finishing touches on my Evo6 in hopes to drive it in the local race this weekend. Plan to run it in the GT10 class that I've previously run my TB03 in with pleasing results.. It's been YEARS since I've given any real effort to a DualDeck Carbon car of any sorts.

Strategy is to install a similar setup as my TB03 and let it rip. Really looking forward to it.
Old 09-04-2014, 11:36 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by OSherman
TCS Nats are done, now I can 'play'.. Putting the finishing touches on my Evo6 in hopes to drive it in the local race this weekend. Plan to run it in the GT10 class that I've previously run my TB03 in with pleasing results.. It's been YEARS since I've given any real effort to a DualDeck Carbon car of any sorts.

Strategy is to install a similar setup as my TB03 and let it rip. Really looking forward to it.
Sherman my buddies from Fresno pitted next to you at the TCS race they told me you are a very good driver (fassst) and I am sure you will be pleased with the EVO 6. I too ran a TB03 in gt but USGT with 21.5 motors. The EVO 6 is bad fast in gt it has more consistent lap times then my TB03, most of my lap times are in a .3/.4th spread even passing cars. I am building a TCS legal TB04/ pro II to run at next years TCS qualifier. Do you recommend another Tamiya car for GT3?
Old 09-04-2014, 11:56 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Thanks for the insight on what to expect.

For GT3 i think either the TB03 or TB04 will be best suited. Shaft drive is very efficient. Some may say the TB04 isnt very efficient, but i personally think it is still better than a dual-belt application. and with 21.5 motors, drivetrain efficiency will be desired.

I havent put much time into my TB04 yet, but something tells me that will be the car to have once we figure them out.

The drivelines in the TB04 and Evo6 are a lil 'quirky' by ShaftDrive standards, but im always up for a challenge.
Old 09-04-2014, 12:08 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Yet another Spur gear question.

My son intends to take this car to Tamiya Worlds in November, where everything including spur and pinion must be Tamiya. Expect final drive ratio will be either 6.0 or 6.5 per rules. I'd like to get closer to each than possible with the 0.6 pitch spur/pinion, using the finer 0.4 gears. Closest I can get with 0.6 gear supplied in the kit is 6.1 and 6.6, which will be a disadvantage to a 418 that can get almost spot on 6.0 and 6.5 using 418's 0.4 pinion/spur. Does anyone know what TAMIYA 0.4 pitch spur gear/Tamiya pinion gear combo would work with this car with hole pattern compatible with the ring gear setup?
Old 09-04-2014, 12:19 PM
Tech Regular

Hi guys
At the race that I described it was cold and raining. I had no chance because I could not find any grip. Myself was too cold I´m freezing ...

Ok I will not give up the EVO and I have a new good Setup I think. I am using the droop down to the front 3.5 and rear 2.5, Camber in front 1.5° and rear 2 degrees. With this setup goes yesterday on our race track. The EVO was very quick and I was more than thrilled. But my TRF was 0.3 sec faster.

Today I built the front box apart and saw again flour from the gears. I can still use them again and put 1mm shim on the front input shaft. Hope this time it will be enough. My EVO is not very loud in any case.

I've never had so many problems with a EVO from Tamiya

In two weeks, is again a race on the same course and I hope the weather is fine and warm

Sorry guys, maybe I'm driving my lovely TRF because he is perfect.
Old 09-04-2014, 12:21 PM
Tech Master

EVO 6 and TB04/are different quirky but they work good I was racing a 418 and I put it on the shelf. I would rather drive a EVO 6 and I may start driving my EVO in 17.5 and sell my 418. Anyone wants to trade their EVO for a 418 I will pack it up tomorrow.
My EVO drive train is as smooth as my TBO3 is. I just listened to CeLo Dizzle he is a masterbuIlder. I wish I could be as maticulas as he is in my builds I have gotten much better at building or really we are blue printing these cars to turn them from a toy to a race car.
Old 09-04-2014, 12:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Originally Posted by masterhit
For battery holding/locating the Porterhouse 418 battery locators are by far the best solution I've found. They also allow the battery to be angled for balance if need be.

Hopefully he still has some in stock!

Mike
Are you attaching a rear bracket as well? If so, how? Drill a hole?
Old 09-04-2014, 12:45 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Simmi
Hi guys
At the race that I described it was cold and raining. I had no chance because I could not find any grip. Myself was too cold I´m freezing ...

Ok I will not give up the EVO and I have a new good Setup I think. I am using the droop down to the front 3.5 and rear 2.5, Camber in front 1.5° and rear 2 degrees. With this setup goes yesterday on our race track. The EVO was very quick and I was more than thrilled. But my TRF was 0.3 sec faster.

Today I built the front box apart and saw again flour from the gears. I can still use them again and put 1mm shim on the front input shaft. Hope this time it will be enough. My EVO is not very loud in any case.

I've never had so many problems with a EVO from Tamiya

In two weeks, is again a race on the same course and I hope the weather is fine and warm

Sorry guys, maybe I'm driving my lovely TRF because he is perfect.
Simmi I took my EVO cases apart last week to check and I had no dust or signs of gear wear. I did add another shim to the rear gear to improve the mesh.
Did you try the HPI silver springs?
Also I think if you are a point and shoot driver your evo will not be as fast as belt drive car. The EVO needs a lot less brake then my 418 and I have to drive both cars differently I can get the same lap time with either car but I am more consistent with the EVO. EVO drives more mistake free for me.
Old 09-05-2014, 06:15 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by minidriver
Yet another Spur gear question.

My son intends to take this car to Tamiya Worlds in November, where everything including spur and pinion must be Tamiya. Expect final drive ratio will be either 6.0 or 6.5 per rules. I'd like to get closer to each than possible with the 0.6 pitch spur/pinion, using the finer 0.4 gears. Closest I can get with 0.6 gear supplied in the kit is 6.1 and 6.6, which will be a disadvantage to a 418 that can get almost spot on 6.0 and 6.5 using 418's 0.4 pinion/spur. Does anyone know what TAMIYA 0.4 pitch spur gear/Tamiya pinion gear combo would work with this car with hole pattern compatible with the ring gear setup?
If he changes the rear Diff gear and front spool gear to the TBEvo 5 ones (39T) then the internal ratio will be 2.437.

Then use a 0.4 mod Tamiya 96T spur and Tamiya 39T pinion this will give you a final drive ratio of 6.0!
For a final drive ratio of 6.5 use a 0.4 mod Tamiya 36T pinion!

This is the internal gearing I am using, you can also change between the 90T, 96T & 102T Tamiya 0.4 Spurs. The 0.4 Tamiya pinions are available from 30T upto 50T so gearing using all the available combos is quite flexible

J
Old 09-05-2014, 06:19 AM
Tech Initiate

Can anyone recommend which are the best alu rear uprights to use, which fit best please?

Tamiya 54137 TB03D (1*)

or

Tamiya 54429 TA06 (0*)

thanks, J
Old 09-05-2014, 03:08 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Jamie24
Can anyone recommend which are the best alu rear uprights to use, which fit best please?

Tamiya 54137 TB03D (1*)

or

Tamiya 54429 TA06 (0*)

thanks, J
I would just use the plastic ones, aluminium ones are just more weight on the suspension. Why are you after aluminium ones?
Old 09-06-2014, 05:09 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Jamie24

Tamiya 54137 TB03D (1*)

or

Tamiya 54429 TA06 (0*)

thanks, J
In my experience. When you put toe at the hubs. It plants the rear end. 0 degree hubs have always been my choice.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.