R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-03-2014, 11:56 AM   #676
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalnut View Post
Hrm, I haven't thought about that. Interesting idea. I was specifically referring to this picture in my previous post:

I know the piece on the right is from Tamiya, came on a plastic tree from a 415 or older car, but I have no idea of the part number.
Johnny Wishbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 12:10 PM   #677
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivo quevas View Post
Doing this would raise your ride height. That would effect your cars handling more then adding weight would?
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigMBA View Post
Yes, but the ride heights aren't the same l/r anymore. That is a problem if you are trying to get to minimum ride height, and if you want the spring preload to be similar l/r.

If your track doesn't check ride height, it's not a big deal. At a big race where they check ride height every round, on carpet, when the grip comes up, and cars start to traction roll, it's a really big deal.

Mind you, my car is underweight. I must add ballast somewhere.
Ah... yes, it would certainly screw the ride height f/b and l/r. Locally, they don't check ride height so it's not really an issue.
Durango DEST210R, XRAY XB4 2014, Vaterra Slick Rock, Durango DEX210, SpeedMerchant REV4, HB TCX, Traxxas EMaxx, HPI RS4 Pro, Tamiya TA02, Yokomo YZ10, Associated RC10 Team Car, Bolink Eliminator 10, Kyosho Optima, Tamiya HotShot, Tamiya Grasshopper
theclutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 12:36 PM   #678
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Hrm, I haven't thought about that. Interesting idea. I was specifically referring to this picture in my previous post:

Those are servo mounts (A-Parts from TA05)

There are several makes available, plastic and aluminum, from tamiya or 3rd party brands.

Also, if you want a bit more bling, you could also try to look for the belt tensioner from the 418 (Part# 13454923)

http://kentech.blogs.se/2014/01/16/p...pers-17601192/

PICS c/o kentech
Old 09-03-2014, 01:13 PM   #679
Tech Fanatic
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora La Reina de Los Ángeles del Río de Porciúncula
Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by niznai View Post
Can you give us some more detail? Track? Class? Tires used? What did you find problematic and how you addressed it?
I entered my first ever on road race this weekend (medium sized outdoor asphalt). rookie with the tq (though I did get 2nd place in the amain after two mishaps I couldnt recover from), I would have probably made the amain in sportsman with my laptimes.

Anywho, I ran both cars on a pretty much box stock setup using stock springs on both, box stock oils (shock/diff) on the evo.

The 418 had 37.5 shock oil all around with front diff at 7k and rear diff at 3k, otherwise, all stock.

I ran the first 2 quals with the 418 and the last 2 quals with the Evo. Evo top 5 laptimes were about .1 faster than my 418.

The 418 feels like I might be able to go faster with if I work on my driving/setup but the Evo just felt great right off the bat, felt very easy to drive and did not bite back at me if I pushed it too hard like the 418. Evo inspired my confidence, felt very safe. I think that's what the difference was but I may make some changes to do more back to back tests.

Also, the 418 had a slightly faster stock motor than the old tired reedy stock I had on the Evo.

As far as problems with the Evo, I can't recall any.. yeah, it's loud but it's acceptably loud for me. I don't think it really stands out as being much louder than other cars. I haven't even shimmed it or anything. I did use some Eureka Lube on the gears so that made it quieter (tested the sound back to back).
Old 09-03-2014, 02:03 PM   #680
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minami View Post
Also, if you want a bit more bling, you could also try to look for the belt tensioner from the 418 (Part# 13454923)

PICS c/o kentech
I am so all over that

"If you ain't first, you're last!"
- Ricky Bobby
metalnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 02:20 PM   #681
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

lagcisco I have the same 2 cars and I know the feeling you are talking about between that 2 cars.Can I make a suggestion on the 418, take the 7k diff fluid out of the front diff and replace it with putty or 1/million diff fluid. ]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lagcisco View Post
I entered my first ever on road race this weekend (medium sized outdoor asphalt). rookie with the tq (though I did get 2nd place in the amain after two mishaps I couldnt recover from), I would have probably made the amain in sportsman with my laptimes.

Anywho, I ran both cars on a pretty much box stock setup using stock springs on both, box stock oils (shock/diff) on the evo.

The 418 had 37.5 shock oil all around with front diff at 7k and rear diff at 3k, otherwise, all stock.

I ran the first 2 quals with the 418 and the last 2 quals with the Evo. Evo top 5 laptimes were about .1 faster than my 418.

The 418 feels like I might be able to go faster with if I work on my driving/setup but the Evo just felt great right off the bat, felt very easy to drive and did not bite back at me if I pushed it too hard like the 418. Evo inspired my confidence, felt very safe. I think that's what the difference was but I may make some changes to do more back to back tests.

Also, the 418 had a slightly faster stock motor than the old tired reedy stock I had on the Evo.

As far as problems with the Evo, I can't recall any.. yeah, it's loud but it's acceptably loud for me. I don't think it really stands out as being much louder than other cars. I haven't even shimmed it or anything. I did use some Eureka Lube on the gears so that made it quieter (tested the sound back to back).
HobbyTown Fresno, Ca. McAllister Racing, Visa/MasterCard's
"Take an early lead and extend it".(Fast Eddie Janis)
vivo quevas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 03:49 PM   #682
Tech Elite

I really like the feeling of 1 million diff fluid in the front. You get plenty of corner entry, and yet the car pulls out of corners nicely as well. Also, tires wear better

- Ricky Bobby
Old 09-03-2014, 07:00 PM   #683
Tech Adept

Quote:
I really like the feeling of 1 million diff fluid in the front. You get plenty of corner entry, and yet the car pulls out of corners nicely as well. Also, tires wear better
So if you're going to run that thick of a fluid in the front, why not just use a spool and get it over with? I would assume the spool would be better in this case.
Durango DEST210R, XRAY XB4 2014, Vaterra Slick Rock, Durango DEX210, SpeedMerchant REV4, HB TCX, Traxxas EMaxx, HPI RS4 Pro, Tamiya TA02, Yokomo YZ10, Associated RC10 Team Car, Bolink Eliminator 10, Kyosho Optima, Tamiya HotShot, Tamiya Grasshopper
theclutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 07:19 PM   #684
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

2.5million in the front and 3k in the rear diff and call it a day.

There is a different in feel between 'stiffer diff' and spool.
Old 09-03-2014, 07:53 PM   #685
Tech Adept

is there an upgrade bling bulkhead yet?
TCS_FUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 08:07 PM   #686
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by theclutch View Post
So if you're going to run that thick of a fluid in the front, why not just use a spool and get it over with? I would assume the spool would be better in this case.
1 million is actually not that thick, you can rotate the wheels with a little bit of pressure. 2.5 million is much closer to a spool. The turn in is much better with 1 million than with a spool, 2.5 million is closer to a spool feeling. Just try it to see what you like.

- Ricky Bobby
Old 09-03-2014, 08:10 PM   #687
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I modify the steering rod angle with Serpent parts because I feel the steering slower than my 418 with the same servo ( Sanwa SRG-BLS V2 )

Serpent Servo-Lever (4) For Serpent S411 #401372 ( need 4.5mm ball connector or sand and polish 5mm tamiya ball to 4.5mm on a dremel )

I screw ball in the center hole under the shaft

12th scale Roche 2016
Quinny45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 03:09 AM   #688
Tech Fanatic

Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora La Reina de Los Ángeles del Río de Porciúncula

i let someone drive my car and they told me the same thing.. 1 million diff oil. Didn't even know it went up that high.

I have 125k handy.. But I'll just get some 1 million.
Old 09-04-2014, 03:10 AM   #689
Tech Fanatic

BTW, I really like the whole sharing of parts thing between the evo and 418, not too many parts but at least its the ones likely to break.
Old 09-04-2014, 04:28 AM   #690
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by lagcisco View Post

Thank you. This picture is a lot more clear than just a comment.

One comment from me.

As others have pointed out already, a front spool or very stiff diff might make the difference of .1s or more between your cars disappear. Not sure if the EVO has a spool up front or not, but if it did, then your comparison is not on equal footing.

That said, there is another aspect. From your comments, it feels like it is your ability to drive that makes the most difference. The car ready to bite you is usually the one that could go faster. Been there, done that. If you have any memories of using oneway diffs (or pulleys) you will remember how they can bite you, but then again, they're perhaps the best. My reaction time is not what it used to be, but I do chuck a one way in my cars every now and then and try hard to get a good lap time. Usually it yields the best time and no matter how I try I can not replicate it with "normal" diffs/spools. The problem is I am no longer quick enough to handle a one way consistently lap after lap, so I'll have a brilliant lap and two crappy ones that'll ruin my time.

The point is, driving skill is key. A car on the edge is always going to be faster, and in the right hands consistent too. I would guess the TRF can be faster than the EVO and your story reinforces the point. You just have to step outside the comfort zone and contend with the risk. Tamiya cars have always been easy to drive out of the box, but in my experience, if you want more than this baseline stage, you need to push the setup beyond that, and yes, the car will be harder to drive, but faster. That's how Mark wins championships with the same car.

The best upgrade to any car is some driver skill.
niznai is offline   Reply With Quote