Like Tree161Likes

Tamiya TB Evo 6

Old 08-23-2014, 10:52 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Originally Posted by donatelli
I've raced for 3 club meetings and "lucky" enough to have the bevel gears in the gear boxes milled by all 3 race days.
This is really concerning me. After all these days and days spent on trying to get these gear boxes perfect, I may still strip the gears in a few race days?

May I ask how many shims you had and where? When I check for free play between the gears, the mesh seems night and tight. I should mention that I'm using the plastic reinforced ones right off the bat, though.
Old 08-23-2014, 12:37 PM
OVA
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Originally Posted by metalnut
This is really concerning me. After all these days and days spent on trying to get these gear boxes perfect, I may still strip the gears in a few race days?

May I ask how many shims you had and where? When I check for free play between the gears, the mesh seems night and tight. I should mention that I'm using the plastic reinforced ones right off the bat, though.
I was using the reinforced gears and still striped out the gears after three packs..
Old 08-23-2014, 02:34 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by OVA
I was using the reinforced gears and still striped out the gears after three packs..
Great. This should be a fun season.
Old 08-23-2014, 02:54 PM
Tech Rookie

How long are the dampers on this car?
Wondering if my Dampers will fit on it.
Old 08-23-2014, 03:27 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by OVA
What motor are you using? Just wondering as I'm not seeing any issues with 17.5 blinky
Old 08-23-2014, 03:37 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by estefano
How long are the dampers on this car?
Wondering if my Dampers will fit on it.
My are just under 59mm from top to bottom, but you could easily build them to be 60mm.

Originally Posted by Qatmix
What motor are you using? Just wondering as I'm not seeing any issues with 17.5 blinky
He's referring to a TB04, I think, he doesn't have the EVO.6, and running either 21.5 or 17.5, I'm not sure when he stripped them.
Old 08-23-2014, 06:01 PM
OVA
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by Qatmix
21.5 is what I'm using ...I strip the miter gear I installed the alum miter gear ,work great. But it is very noisy
Old 08-23-2014, 06:05 PM
OVA
Tech Lord

Great. This should be a fun season.
but again..metalnut..The EVO6 may not have the same problem...
Old 08-23-2014, 08:14 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by OVA
21.5 is what I'm using ...I strip the miter gear I installed the alum miter gear ,work great. But it is very noisy
Oh, so you're talking about the miter gears between the spur and the shaft? Ok, yeah, I have the aluminum ones and they feel pretty solid. I thought you meant you stripped the gears inside the transmission cases, that's what I'm somewhat worried about.

Two quick updates:

1. The 74T spur I recommended may be a tad too small for VTA, depending on the FDR you're after. I think a 76T or a 78T may be the sweet spot after all, but ARC has those too. With the 74T and a 50T pinion, the motor is almost maxed out on the closer-to-the-spur side of the motor holes.

2. The kit 44mm DCJ shafts are too long for a gear diff up front. The spool has deeper cups than the gear diff. I have 42mm shafts on order now, I hope those will fit properly.

3. After all this work my car only free-spins for about 6 seconds. Oh well. It's nowhere close to an Awesomatix, but I think it'll be good enough for 25.5 club racing.
Old 08-23-2014, 08:35 PM
OVA
Tech Lord

Oh, so you're talking about the miter gears between the spur and the shaft? Ok, yeah, I have the aluminum ones and they feel pretty solid. I thought you meant you stripped the gears inside the transmission cases, that's what I'm somewhat worried about.

Two quick updates:

1. The 74T spur I recommended may be a tad too small for VTA, depending on the FDR you're after. I think a 76T or a 78T may be the sweet spot after all, but ARC has those too. With the 74T and a 50T pinion, the motor is almost maxed out on the closer-to-the-spur side of the motor holes.

2. The kit 44mm DCJ shafts are too long for a gear diff up front. The spool has deeper cups than the gear diff. I have 42mm shafts on order now, I hope those will fit properly.

3. After all this work my car only free-spins for about 6 seconds. Oh well. It's nowhere close to an Awesomatix, but I think it'll be good enough for 25.5 club racing.
yes I was talking about the miter gears...reinforced diff gear is good to have. But stock one is seem to work just fine..
Old 08-23-2014, 10:08 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by OVA
yes I was talking about the miter gears...reinforced diff gear is good to have. But stock one is seem to work just fine..
Thanks for the words of wisdom, fingers crossed for the first carpet race!
Old 08-23-2014, 10:17 PM
Tech Apprentice

Pretty similar to most of you guys here, I'm using the TB04 Reinforced gear set (#54593) already in the front and rear gear boxes. Those reinforced gears at the spur gear holder and the central shaft seemed working well. Since I am running at medium size track, I do use heavy brakes at some of corners at the track, I find it may be one of the main causes for the stripped gears in the gear boxes. I'm not sure if an aluminium gear box would help to keep the gears well in position and then they won't strip that easy in my case.

About the shims I added in, I did follow the instruction and I didn't find any binding of the drive chain so far.

I have the impression that the quality/durability of the gears that Evo 6 comes with can stand for the loading for 13.5T blinky, perhaps would be the best for 17.5T or even 21.5T but not up to vigorous loading from 13.5Tboost, not to mention modified class too!
Old 08-23-2014, 10:19 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by OVA
May I learn from you where to get that alum miter gear, please?? Thanks!!
Old 08-23-2014, 11:41 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by donatelli
May I learn from you where to get that alum miter gear, please?? Thanks!!
You want Tamiya part #58507, you can get it here for instance: http://www.tqrcracing.com/shop/produ....asp?p_id=7051
Old 08-24-2014, 12:01 AM
Tech Regular

Hi guys

I try all the bevel gears to swap in aluminum.
Tamiya - 5455040
Tamiya - 51169

And the TB EVO IV 53721

Hope that everything fits.

This one is sold out 9804570

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.