Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree164Likes

Tamiya TB Evo 6

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2014, 06:41 PM
Tech Initiate

I remove in supr gear holder the bearing
This tamiya 4x8x3 Flanged Ball Bearings Center is shaking ...
I replaced the AE 31355 Flanged Ceramic Ball Bearings...
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya TB Evo 6-img_0412.jpg   Tamiya TB Evo 6-img_0411.jpg   Tamiya TB Evo 6-img_0410.jpg  
Old 08-01-2014, 11:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

http://banzaihobby.com/Tamiya-84379

Like $380 - get it while it's hot.
Old 08-02-2014, 02:20 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by metalnut
I don't want to rip on Tamiya, but this is a strategic business plan. Just like TCS, it ensures that you buy Tamiya, lots of Tamiya and only Tamiya. A lot of people may not realize that they can switch to the more standard imperial spurs/pinions, so they keep buying Tamiya ones. The company hasn't been around this long without smart people at the helm.
in all honesty there is only 1 country in the world that is still stuck in the imperial system, the USA is a big country and i know many Americans never see anything else, but the rest of the world uses metric, so to say a Japanese company is using metric because of a money grab is going a little far

many companies beside Tamiya make metric spur/pinions

it's exactly the same problem as with metric or imperial tools like hex drivers, the old fashioned backward US system messes many people up.
Old 08-02-2014, 08:25 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by miseryindex
in all honesty there is only 1 country in the world that is still stuck in the imperial system, the USA is a big country and i know many Americans never see anything else, but the rest of the world uses metric, so to say a Japanese company is using metric because of a money grab is going a little far

many companies beside Tamiya make metric spur/pinions

[...]
For our information, can you name one other?
Old 08-02-2014, 08:29 AM
Tech Rookie

from the top of my head Japanese: kawada and square, european: RW racing, Maverick and abisma
Old 08-02-2014, 08:33 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Qatmix
64pitch and 0.4 mod are very similar and I use both together with no issues. Although 0.6 mod is bonkers
No they're not. They're close enough to get an OK-ish mesh, but it's not going to be efficient.
Old 08-02-2014, 08:39 AM
Tech Elite

from the top of my head Japanese: kawada and square, european: RW racing, Maverick and abisma
Kawada does indeed make SOME metric module pinions. Nowhere near their range of 64 and 48 pitch. RW racing I have not seen any in stock in any of the major retailers and again, their range of 48 and 64 is present everywhere. The others I have never heard of (read I can't see them in any of the major retailers). Good luck trying to find a metric gear in a hurry. When you have equipment (machines) to cut gears you can cut whatever you want, I agree, and I see the point of some of these manufacturers trying to capture as many markets as they can, but to say the metric sizes are used everywhere in pinions/gears is a stretch to say the least. Liek it or not, tradition has its weight and the fact that major manufacturers from Europe like Xray and Schumacher (and perhaps others - the now defunct Corally, Serpent, Team Durango and who knows what else) have not even tried to use metric sizes perhaps has some reason behind it.
Old 08-02-2014, 09:29 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by niznai
No they're not. They're close enough to get an OK-ish mesh, but it's not going to be efficient.
with what?

0.6 mod will not mesh with anything other than 0.6 mod, 48 pitch will not fit.

0.4 mod will mesh fine with 64 pitch gear.
Old 08-02-2014, 12:47 PM
Tech Rookie

Kawada does indeed make SOME metric module pinions. Nowhere near their range of 64 and 48 pitch. RW racing I have not seen any in stock in any of the major retailers and again, their range of 48 and 64 is present everywhere. The others I have never heard of (read I can't see them in any of the major retailers). Good luck trying to find a metric gear in a hurry. When you have equipment (machines) to cut gears you can cut whatever you want, I agree, and I see the point of some of these manufacturers trying to capture as many markets as they can, but to say the metric sizes are used everywhere in pinions/gears is a stretch to say the least. Liek it or not, tradition has its weight and the fact that major manufacturers from Europe like Xray and Schumacher (and perhaps others - the now defunct Corally, Serpent, Team Durango and who knows what else) have not even tried to use metric sizes perhaps has some reason behind it.
i know pitch is more popular due to the weight of the US market, i just said that only the USA is on imperial, and it's a little far fetched to say that a japanese company is on metric as a money grab
Old 08-02-2014, 01:30 PM
Tech Adept

i've just set up my Evo 6 for our national 17,5 blinky class with 4.0 FDR - lower FDR not allowed.

48dp 64 Spur Gear and 40 pinion gear - fits perfectly, there would be space for a lower fdr...
Old 08-02-2014, 04:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

0.4 and 64 mesh perfectly fine. Plenty run the kit spur and aftermarket 64pitch pinions.

Ask the factory guys, they race and win world championships that way.

64p is technically 0.3969, close enough that any discrepancy is taken by the fact we mesh the gears loose anyway.
Old 08-02-2014, 04:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Over a $5 spur?

Old 08-02-2014, 06:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Haha!!

Perfect!
Old 08-02-2014, 07:03 PM
Tech Master

i purchased, core rc spur gears, but just could use 2 screws.

Last edited by mac853; 08-02-2014 at 07:32 PM.
Old 08-02-2014, 10:24 PM
Tech Elite

i know pitch is more popular due to the weight of the US market, i just said that only the USA is on imperial, and it's a little far fetched to say that a japanese company is on metric as a money grab
Nope, it's not more popular due to the weight of the US market, that's what I was hinting above. It's more popular due to the tradition instilled by the british back in the industrial revolution. It's hard to beat tradition, we should all know that.

Tamiya is the only major manufacturer who sticks to metric size gears. You might think it's not a money grab, I am just saying if it is, I don't think it is working.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.