R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree29Likes

Old 09-19-2017, 10:35 PM   #2536
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by donatelli View Post
Hi guys, with "7" coming October, I just wonder if there will still be a chance for Exotek to produce the aluminium upper case for Exo 6 gear box or not.
Mike seems to use his exosix a lot. However, with the new Evo 7 coming I would not be surprised if he ends development if new products specifically for the ExoSix.
nubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 07:58 AM   #2537
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nubs View Post
Mike seems to use his exosix a lot. However, with the new Evo 7 coming I would not be surprised if he ends development if new products specifically for the ExoSix.
I hear'ya nubs, but the new 7 sure has a lot in common with Mike's Exo6... I would imagine you will be able to get Exo6 parts for a while - but also wonder if he will continue development of the aluminum gear cases.
Old 09-20-2017, 09:46 AM   #2538
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Hi Guys!

I received a few emails asking the same and the answer was- our factory is having a heck of a time making the gear boxes so the project is practically on hold at this moment due also to the fact the evo7 has the alloy gearboxes and is almost released.
So after we test and try the evo7 I will find out if the 7 gearboxes are usable and available separately by Tamiya before deciding to cancel our gearbox project. If we are lucky then maybe the evo7 gear box has the same bolt pattern as the original evo6 gearbox.... I'm very interested in trying the reversed, gear box mounted steering cranks of the 7 any way.

A picture with your post, when trouble shooting, will probably get more rctech help than without...
MikeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 12:56 AM   #2539
mgr
Tech Rookie

So ran my TB on carpet for the first time. It was AWESOME!

unfortunately i destroyed the pinion gear towards the diff's.

Now it was not assembled by my self, and i only ran 4-5 batteries. So I think they must have seen a lot of wear before i got it. I should have looked at them before i ran the car. But i didnt. Lesson learned.

I toke the car apart, and i cant see any shims other than what the manual says.

I guess that is not enough!

Is there any guide og tips to shimm the diff/pinion correctly?

Br

Michael
mgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 02:53 AM   #2540
Tech Rookie

Hello everybody does anyone make short shock towers for the exo 6 to run the 419 x short shocks?
dkallday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 04:47 AM   #2541
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkallday View Post
Hello everybody does anyone make short shock towers for the exo 6 to run the 419 x short shocks?
Tamiya TB04 SSBB Shock Tower Set #47327.

Be aware that the offset of the rear body holders will change.
Tom1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 04:57 AM   #2542
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgr View Post
I guess that is not enough!

Is there any guide og tips to shimm the diff/pinion correctly?

Br

Michael
Right! Shimming by manual is not enough. See it only as suggestion. In my TB Evo 6 MS are far more shims as the manual says.

The trick is to find the right balance between free play and binding.

I shimmed all axial play out down to max 0.05mm. On both - differential entry axles and the bevel gears.

Tamiya has complete shim sets for that purpose.

But after all you will have nevertheless wear on the gears because plastic on plastic has some abusive friction. But the gears will last longer.
Tom1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 05:19 AM   #2543
mgr
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom1977 View Post
Right! Shimming by manual is not enough. See it only as suggestion. In my TB Evo 6 MS are far more shims as the manual says.

The trick is to find the right balance between free play and binding.

I shimmed all axial play out down to max 0.05mm. On both - differential entry axles and the bevel gears.

Tamiya has complete shim sets for that purpose.

But after all you will have nevertheless wear on the gears because plastic on plastic has some abusive friction. But the gears will last longer.

Thx a lot. I panicked and ordred 8 sets of gear bags So im ok if it wears down ones in a while.
Old 09-22-2017, 10:03 AM   #2544
CL
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgr View Post
Thx a lot. I panicked and ordred 8 sets of gear bags So im ok if it wears down ones in a while.
Hopefully you didn't order the carbon reinforced ones. The stock plastic set lasts a lot longer.
aracefan likes this.
Old 09-22-2017, 04:59 PM   #2545
Tech Initiate

Carbon ones last long, long. They need to be shimmed carefully as well as not tight too much upper part of the gearbox. Using oil instead of grease (just made them wet) make them last longer.
Macio4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 04:37 AM   #2546
mgr
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CL View Post
Hopefully you didn't order the carbon reinforced ones. The stock plastic set lasts a lot longer.
I got the parts bag 51547 from the manual. I donít mind if itís either the plain plastic or reinforced. I now have plenty incoming!

I just looked how much slope the diff and pinion had. The diff can hardly move sideways so itís good. But the pinion could move more than 1mm soooooooo thatís not right

Iím running stock with a 21.5 so I guess I donít want to shim it to tight?
Old 09-23-2017, 06:35 AM   #2547
Tech Initiate

Shim to fully engage and screw upper half of the gearbox to the point when it moves freely without any binding. Slowly move by hand and you will feel when it binds. In my case screws of the gearbox are tighten with not the same force (seems that halves are a bit twisted). I used many sets of gears until I have found out that they were assembled too loose or to tight. When all assembled without pinion it should rotate freely few times when you turn it by hand.
Macio4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 01:31 PM   #2548
Tech Master

Could somebody tell me in case of high grip carpet with Exosix chassis, would run original shocks or with 419x SSBB shocks with TB04 optional shock towers?

Whatever length of shocks, better to run with 1 or 2 o-rings on grippy carpet?

Best regards
mac853 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 03:41 AM   #2549
mgr
Tech Rookie

Got my parts. just the normal plastic ones. But i dont mind about wear, since i got 6 gear bags to spare

The diffs sad really good in the diff house. Only one of them needed a shim.

The pinion gear how ever, those could move 1-2 mm both front and rear!
Old 10-04-2017, 09:12 PM   #2550
Tech Adept
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I finally got a practice session in on my new Exo-six conversion this week, great fun! My durability tests did not manage to break anything which I'm pretty happy about. I dropped two tenths on my fastest lap, though that could also be attributed to wheel time on the car which I had not had a ton of in Evo trim. Torque steer is noticeable but manageable. Compared to the TA07 I've been racing with the last 4 months it is insanely quicker at changing directions, and rotates aggressively under power which makes the laps a lot less of a race between corners and more of a flow. I think I'm ready to actually make this my USGT car.
MikeR likes this.
altitudelow is offline   Reply With Quote