R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree23Likes

Old 10-21-2016, 06:21 AM   #2266
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)

Got my exo hubs and spools in. They look great. The hubs went in no prob, and one car the spool went in no prb. The other, I couldn't shim it to save my life. The gears were way too tight. Tried shimming both the spool and the input shaft. Nothing. Swapped with the spool that worked in the other car. Still bad. Finally on a whim decided to change lower bulkheads. Now it works fine. Still not perfect, but as close as I'm gping to get. The quality of the exo parts is well above average, the plastic diff housing however...

Those exo aluminum diff housings can't get here soon enough.
The brighter the picture, the darker the negative. USVTA member #112
theproffesor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 08:21 AM   #2267
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by theproffesor View Post
Got my exo hubs and spools in. They look great. The hubs went in no prob, and one car the spool went in no prb. The other, I couldn't shim it to save my life. The gears were way too tight. Tried shimming both the spool and the input shaft. Nothing. Swapped with the spool that worked in the other car. Still bad. Finally on a whim decided to change lower bulkheads. Now it works fine. Still not perfect, but as close as I'm gping to get. The quality of the exo parts is well above average, the plastic diff housing however...

Those exo aluminum diff housings can't get here soon enough.
Yeah I was kind of surprised that Tamiya stopped making the aluminum lower gear boxes. Wonder what that was all about.
Old 10-21-2016, 11:19 AM   #2268
Tech Adept

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nubs View Post
Yeah I was kind of surprised that Tamiya stopped making the aluminum lower gear boxes. Wonder what that was all about.
If you look at one up close, they are a very complex and precisely machined part. My guess is that they were incredibly expensive to manufacture for a niche car and they probably had to switch their mills to production of other parts.

One could also contend that with Tamiya's Evo 6 MS aluminum chassis, the aluminum lower gear boxes could increase the rigidity of chassis at the bulkheads too much.

I run them on my car and they are more trouble then they are worth to be honest.

In my opinion the main benefit is that there is less of a chance the threads will strip.

In my experience they don't seem to increase drivetrain efficiency by any appreciable amount, since you are still effectively shimming the gears to the tolerances set by the tighter plastic upper halves.

I still run them because they were incredibly expensive.

Also, I'll list two NIP lower aluminum gearboxes for sale soon... This post will probably lower their selling prices.

Last edited by B. Santos; 10-21-2016 at 01:11 PM.
B. Santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 12:39 PM   #2269
blf
Tech Apprentice

I have not run my Evo 6 in a bit but where can I get the alum gear boxes?
blf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 01:23 PM   #2270
Tech Elite

You can't. There are no Tamiya ones left, and Ecotek is working on some.
Old 10-21-2016, 02:22 PM   #2271
blf
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
You can't. There are no Tamiya ones left, and Ecotek is working on some.
Ahh - ok, thanks prof
blf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 02:46 AM   #2272
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by B. Santos View Post
If you look at one up close, they are a very complex and precisely machined part. My guess is that they were incredibly expensive to manufacture for a niche car and they probably had to switch their mills to production of other parts.

One could also contend that with Tamiya's Evo 6 MS aluminum chassis, the aluminum lower gear boxes could increase the rigidity of chassis at the bulkheads too much.

I run them on my car and they are more trouble then they are worth to be honest.

In my opinion the main benefit is that there is less of a chance the threads will strip.

In my experience they don't seem to increase drivetrain efficiency by any appreciable amount, since you are still effectively shimming the gears to the tolerances set by the tighter plastic upper halves.

I still run them because they were incredibly expensive.

Also, I'll list two NIP lower aluminum gearboxes for sale soon... This post will probably lower their selling prices.
Troubles? I've them on 3 cars and properly shimmed (as you have to do in plastic versions too) it's one of the best hop ups you can do to the TB03/TB04/Evo6 series.

I can't understand why Tamiya had only a limited run on these bulkheads but i rather think Tamiya has a new drive shaft concept in the works and won't sit on tons of expensive machined bulkheads of a not so popular drive shaft concept.

Best regards.
Tom1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 07:17 AM   #2273
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom1977 View Post
Troubles? I've them on 3 cars and properly shimmed (as you have to do in plastic versions too) it's one of the best hop ups you can do to the TB03/TB04/Evo6 series.

I can't understand why Tamiya had only a limited run on these bulkheads but i rather think Tamiya has a new drive shaft concept in the works and won't sit on tons of expensive machined bulkheads of a not so popular drive shaft concept.

Best regards.
My intention was to say that it takes more effort to search out and buy the Tamiya aluminum lower cases now, than what they are worth in performance. The only option is to scour the secondary market, or wait for the Exotek lowers.

I don't believe they are one of the best hop-ups available because of their high price and the fact that the overall drivetrain efficiency is still affected by how well you shim for the upper half.

Are they one of the better option parts? Yes.

The aluminum lowers seem to have more concentric bearing seats, reducing the pressure on the bearings and eliminating any need to vertically shim or modify the plastic upper bearing seats.

But as you pointed out, they still require shimming like the plastic ones, so any gains are really dependent upon the patience of the builder.
Old 10-23-2016, 10:10 AM   #2274
Tech Elite

Vertically shim? Who is vertically shimming the bearings? How would you even go about that?
Old 10-23-2016, 12:20 PM   #2275
Tech Adept

Quote:
Vertically shim? Who is vertically shimming the bearings? How would you even go about that?
Nothing about vertically shimming the bearings, but rather the placing a thin shim between the gearbox halves to free everything up.

Tamiya TB04 Pro
Old 10-23-2016, 02:20 PM   #2276
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quick question what's the difference between tamiya evo 6 black edition vs tamiya evo 6 ms?
Emaculant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 05:07 PM   #2277
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The most important difference is the MS has the better center gearbox design. If both are available to you, definitely pick the MS.
speedy_w_beans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 06:56 PM   #2278
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I have been gone for almost a year but I have the black edition with the exo conversion can I upgrade to the new gear box? Whats the benefits?
Emaculant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 07:21 PM   #2279
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emaculant View Post
I have been gone for almost a year but I have the black edition with the exo conversion can I upgrade to the new gear box? Whats the benefits?
If you're using the Exo conversion, the new centre gearbox is irrelevant as it's not used.
gigaplex is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 09:32 PM   #2280
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Back with good results from the weekends CenCal Challenge. USGT was by far the biggest class of the 3 day race and the EXO-SIX represented well!
Had to work from way back in the field (blew a motor in qualifying, cost me a better grid spot) but was able to pick off some very fast cars 1 by 1 and ended up 2nd place and less than 1 second behind first. Have only ran this USGT car at 2 events this year but really loving the drive train and Tamiya handling!

Notes;
Prototype flexy top plate for extra grip on the bumpy asphalt track.
Exotek spool used.
Prototype carbon drive shaft.
Off the shelf (Hobbytown) R1 v11
Exotek C-hubs

A picture with your post, when trouble shooting, will probably get more rctech help than without...

Last edited by MikeR; 10-24-2016 at 09:48 PM.
MikeR is offline   Reply With Quote