R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree11Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-07-2016, 12:22 PM   #2026
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 154
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBullFiXX View Post
Faster you go, the harder you hit things, that's the main culprit in gear duration reduction with Tamiya shaft cars

Would not recommend more than 17.5, heard of some fast guys running 13.5, but that's the edge imo
Thanks RedBullFixx. When you say 13.5 are you suggesting brushed or brushless? I hope you meant brushless (lol) I ended up purchasing a Muchmore 13.5T. I've never done brushless before! Should it be fast?
jessele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 12:48 PM   #2027
Tech Champion
 
RedBullFiXX's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Intergalactic Planetary
Posts: 6,542
Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessele View Post
Thanks RedBullFixx. When you say 13.5 are you suggesting brushed or brushless? I hope you meant brushless (lol) I ended up purchasing a Muchmore 13.5T. I've never done brushless before! Should it be fast?
Yes BL, 13.5 blinky is quick, unless you're running on a large nitro asphalt track
__________________
--> 12th scale Information Source <--

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing."
― Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr.
RedBullFiXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 07:32 PM   #2028
Tech Addict
 
nubs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Tracy, CA
Posts: 524
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Droop

I'm having trouble with droop. I have my ride height at about 5mm in front and back but I have virtually no droop. The only way I can get since droop is to loosen up on the ride height to about 6 or 7mm and then I'll have about 2mm of droop. How do I get that 2mm droop with 5mm ride height? Do I have to use softer springs?
nubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 07:59 PM   #2029
Tech Elite
 
theproffesor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Lugoff SC
Posts: 2,726
Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)
Default

Unscrew the lower shock eyelets a couple turns. My shocks have about 2.5 threads of the shock shaft showing.
__________________
Associated - Fantom - Savox - Hobbywing - Spectrum.
The brighter the picture, the darker the negative. USVTA member #112
theproffesor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 08:41 PM   #2030
Tech Master
 
patorz31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Edmonton Ab
Posts: 1,390
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nubs View Post
I'm having trouble with droop. I have my ride height at about 5mm in front and back but I have virtually no droop. The only way I can get since droop is to loosen up on the ride height to about 6 or 7mm and then I'll have about 2mm of droop. How do I get that 2mm droop with 5mm ride height? Do I have to use softer springs?
Wha are you using to set Ride height? The set screws in the arm are downstops (used to set droop). The shock collar set ride height.
__________________
Northern Alberta Scale Car Auto Racers Pres. and Promotions
TEAM POWERS, RACE-OPT, SCHUMACHER RACING,R-Factor, Bezerk RC
patorz31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 09:02 PM   #2031
Tech Addict
 
nubs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Tracy, CA
Posts: 524
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by patorz31 View Post
Wha are you using to set Ride height? The set screws in the arm are downstops (used to set droop). The shock collar set ride height.
So if I loosen up the shock collars completely, the closest I can get is 7mm ride height and 2mm droop. The shocks won't let me go lower than 7mm. Is this common?
nubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 09:34 PM   #2032
Tech Addict
 
nubs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Tracy, CA
Posts: 524
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by theproffesor View Post
Unscrew the lower shock eyelets a couple turns. My shocks have about 2.5 threads of the shock shaft showing.
I'll try this.
nubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 10:24 PM   #2033
Tech Champion
 
MikeR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Oceanside, CA
Posts: 5,016
Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nubs View Post
So if I loosen up the shock collars completely, the closest I can get is 7mm ride height and 2mm droop. The shocks won't let me go lower than 7mm. Is this common?
Make sure you don't have spacers inside the shock bodies...

So if you move the collars all the way to the top of the shock body, the lowest ride height you can get is 7mm with all electronics on board?

If so, then wrong parts are on the car? As in wrong springs, towers, shocks or perches.

Post a pic- may be able to see something wrong.
4mm ride height with extra droop should be no problem at all.
__________________
www.exotekracing.com ☆ASSOCIATED☆DURANGO☆HPI☆HB RACING☆KYOSHO☆LOSI/TLR☆SERPENT☆TAMIYA☆XRAY☆

A picture with your post, when trouble shooting, will probably get more rctech help than without...
MikeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 05:36 AM   #2034
Tech Addict
 
nubs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Tracy, CA
Posts: 524
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeR View Post
Make sure you don't have spacers inside the shock bodies...

So if you move the collars all the way to the top of the shock body, the lowest ride height you can get is 7mm with all electronics on board?

If so, then wrong parts are on the car? As in wrong springs, towers, shocks or perches.

Post a pic- may be able to see something wrong.
4mm ride height with extra droop should be no problem at all.
Ok I'll take a picture when I wake up more.
nubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 07:48 AM   #2035
Tech Champion
 
RedBullFiXX's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Intergalactic Planetary
Posts: 6,542
Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nubs View Post
I'm having trouble with droop. I have my ride height at about 5mm in front and back but I have virtually no droop. The only way I can get since droop is to loosen up on the ride height to about 6 or 7mm and then I'll have about 2mm of droop. How do I get that 2mm droop with 5mm ride height? Do I have to use softer springs?
This is backwards ^^^^
Turning out shock collars will lower RH and add more droop, if droop screws are not moved

With droop screws out, so they don't touch the chassis, RH set at 5mm, you should have a massive amount of droop
__________________
--> 12th scale Information Source <--

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing."
― Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr.
RedBullFiXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 08:36 AM   #2036
Tech Addict
 
nubs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Tracy, CA
Posts: 524
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBullFiXX View Post
This is backwards ^^^^
Turning out shock collars will lower RH and add more droop, if droop screws are not moved

With droop screws out, so they don't touch the chassis, RH set at 5mm, you should have a massive amount of droop
So I believe I know what the problem is/was. The symptom of the problem was that even with my shocks completely opened up (shock collars all the way to the top) my lowest ride height was 7mm. So I couldn't get to 5mm.

However, i think there were two things causing this.
1) My weight was too low
2) My weight was distributed incorrectly

Here are some pictures of my car right now with the new battery that is significantly heavier than my previous battery.






__________________
Tamiya TRF419X | Tamiya TA07 Pro | Tamiya TB04 / Exo Six | AE B5 Converted to B5M
nubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 08:41 AM   #2037
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 223
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

I see you've converted your early TB04 Pro to the EXO6, which means you're using the 416 style arms. Maybe someone can chime in on whether the 418 style arms have a different lower mounting point for the shocks, which might be a reason for the ride height issues.
__________________
:: Tamiya TA05 MS :: Tamiya TB04 Pro II/Exotek EXO6 :: Tamiya M05V2 :: Losi XX :: Tamiya TB01 :: Tamiya XV-01 Rally ::
ErikO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 08:49 AM   #2038
Tech Addict
 
nubs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Tracy, CA
Posts: 524
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Perhaps I need spacers under the suspension blocks?

Also, I didn't get a TB04 pro, I had the TB04 standard build. I purchased all the hop ups individually. Super expensive and was definitely the wrong way to go. But I live and learn I guess.
__________________
Tamiya TRF419X | Tamiya TA07 Pro | Tamiya TB04 / Exo Six | AE B5 Converted to B5M
nubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 08:57 AM   #2039
Tech Addict
 
nubs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Tracy, CA
Posts: 524
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

The more I think about it the more I'm coming to the conclusion that the only thing I can do is either add more weight or change the springs for something softer.
__________________
Tamiya TRF419X | Tamiya TA07 Pro | Tamiya TB04 / Exo Six | AE B5 Converted to B5M
nubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 09:02 AM   #2040
Tech Champion
 
RedBullFiXX's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Intergalactic Planetary
Posts: 6,542
Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nubs View Post
Perhaps I need spacers under the suspension blocks?

Also, I didn't get a TB04 pro, I had the TB04 standard build. I purchased all the hop ups individually. Super expensive and was definitely the wrong way to go. But I live and learn I guess.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nubs View Post
The more I think about it the more I'm coming to the conclusion that the only thing I can do is either add more weight or change the springs for something softer.
Nothing too do with springs
It is clear from those pics that something with the dampers is preventing the susp arms from dropping fully

Arms with no load should angle down, not up as in your pics

__________________
--> 12th scale Information Source <--

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing."
― Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr.

Last edited by RedBullFiXX; 07-08-2016 at 09:14 AM.
RedBullFiXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 10:35 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net