R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree23Likes

Old 05-05-2016, 08:02 PM   #1816
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBen View Post
Is there a complete listing somewhere of all the available hopups for the TB04/R chassis?
Not if you include 3rd party hopups but the Tamiya site does list those available from them.
nubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 07:41 AM   #1817
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBullFiXX View Post
Wishful thinking

Looks like they are in stock at Tamiya

http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/ite...oduct-id=84425
$70 each.....Ouch! I'd like to have a set but they are gonna be down the list a bit. However, if anyone would like to purchase a set and send them to me, I will try them out and let you know what I think of them!
Old 05-06-2016, 10:17 AM   #1818
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Posted some TB Evo 6 MS stuff today, but it is in several posts, so check out https://kentech.wordpress.com/

Added lots of other stuff today as well, so you might have to scroll downfor the Evo 6 stuff.

Old 05-06-2016, 10:17 AM   #1819
Tech Elite

I like the blurb:

"[...] The part can be used in the front or the rear of the car. Not only does it improve drivetrain efficiency, it also contributes to more rigid damper stay and upper mount attachment"

In other words "it will help eliminate some of the distortion we managed to put in the stock plastic parts".

The best upgrade to any car is some driver skill.
niznai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 03:54 PM   #1820
Tech Addict

Is there a reason why this car is not as popular as the TRF419? Is it really not as competitive?
Old 05-13-2016, 03:58 PM   #1821
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by nubs View Post
Is there a reason why this car is not as popular as the TRF419? Is it really not as competitive?
It is unconventional

It is fun

It is not for everyone, and somewhat more limited to stock, spec class racing

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing."
― Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr.
RedBullFiXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 03:59 PM   #1822
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBullFiXX View Post
It is unconventional

It is fun

It is not for everyone, and somewhat more limited to stock, spec class racing
Why is it more limited to stock and spec?
Old 05-13-2016, 04:45 PM   #1823
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Why is it more limited to stock and spec?
With more powerful motors, shaft driven cars develop torque steer (unless you do some very fancy engineering like Awesomatix did on their A700 car).
DirkW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 05:14 PM   #1824
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Quote:
Haven't driven it yet in the stock evo6 version but converted to the exo6 chassis I know it is very much as competitive as any car.
Josh-n-ya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 06:54 PM   #1825
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (96%+)

Quote:
Tamiya has had two opportunities to make one simple really big change to the design of this car. Turn the motor so it's parallel to the centerline of the chassis. Awesomatix tried this motor layout a few years ago and quickly abandoned it. It eliminates a pair of gears and moves motor weight closer to the centerline of the car. With motor placement on the left hand side of the chassis, torque is directed towards the middle of the car reducing torque steer.
I decided to try my Exo 5 and 6 cars out at the Tamiya track last weekend to figure out if they'd be capable of handling a 13.5T motor (think REEDY RACE of Champions). I am glad to report that they both worked extremely well. On my first pack the EXO 5 equaled my fast lap of the day with my 419. The EXO 6 was only a tenth off. No torque steer was felt. In fact I had to reduce rear toe to help the cars rotate better. I ran a PF LTCR - Lt Wt body trimmed to ROAR specs/clearances.
You'd think with all of the money Tamiya is sticking into further development of this car that this one change to eliminate drive line drag/efficiency would put this car into a very competitive field of belt drive chassis in any 17.5 or 13.5T stock class at least on asphalt. Mike R (Exotek)will continue smiling all the way to the bank until this redesign takes place. Hold on Mike, looks like another batch of Evo 6's coming your way.
Leester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 09:47 PM   #1826
OVA
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 77 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirkW View Post
With more powerful motors, shaft driven cars develop torque steer (unless you do some very fancy engineering like Awesomatix did on their A700 car).
back in the days ,the motor mount was on the right side of the chassis
I also have the left side motor mount chassis for my Barracuda R2
oop Leester beat me to it..lol

Last edited by OVA; 05-13-2016 at 09:58 PM.
OVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 10:52 PM   #1827
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leester View Post
Tamiya has had two opportunities to make one simple really big change to the design of this car. Turn the motor so it's parallel to the centerline of the chassis. Awesomatix tried this motor layout a few years ago and quickly abandoned it. It eliminates a pair of gears and moves motor weight closer to the centerline of the car. With motor placement on the left hand side of the chassis, torque is directed towards the middle of the car reducing torque steer.
I decided to try my Exo 5 and 6 cars out at the Tamiya track last weekend to figure out if they'd be capable of handling a 13.5T motor (think REEDY RACE of Champions). I am glad to report that they both worked extremely well. On my first pack the EXO 5 equaled my fast lap of the day with my 419. The EXO 6 was only a tenth off. No torque steer was felt. In fact I had to reduce rear toe to help the cars rotate better. I ran a PF LTCR - Lt Wt body trimmed to ROAR specs/clearances.
You'd think with all of the money Tamiya is sticking into further development of this car that this one change to eliminate drive line drag/efficiency would put this car into a very competitive field of belt drive chassis in any 17.5 or 13.5T stock class at least on asphalt. Mike R (Exotek)will continue smiling all the way to the bank until this redesign takes place. Hold on Mike, looks like another batch of Evo 6's coming your way.
All the big racing factories, so focused on making modified optimized cars in a world filled with stock and spec racers- smh

A picture with your post, when trouble shooting, will probably get more rctech help than without...
MikeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 11:28 PM   #1828
Tech Elite
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeR View Post
All the big racing factories, so focused on making modified optimized cars in a world filled with stock and spec racers- smh
In between the after-market optimization of r/c cars - lets book at pickup game at our Reedy Race Hotel!
Old 05-14-2016, 07:28 PM   #1829
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDawson View Post
In between the after-market optimization of r/c cars - lets book at pickup game at our Reedy Race Hotel!
Dawson- it's on! 45 and over please/ wheelchairs are ok!

A picture with your post, when trouble shooting, will probably get more rctech help than without...
MikeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 07:09 AM   #1830
Tech Adept

Switched up my car a little bit this week and added big bore shocks. I wasn't anticipating much of a change but WOW, what a difference it made. The car was effortless to drive and always in control. Definitely a good change.

The CST and springs I ended up with were identical to what I had tried (and hated) previously with non-big bore shocks. I don't fully understand what all dynamically is different with the BB vs non-BB but what ever it is, I like it.

With the new USGT rules that will take effect on 8/1, I'm going to have to lighten up the car. I will try all the light weight drivetrain suggestions posted earlier and hopefully see very favorable results with those changes as well.