R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Big Bore T.C. shocks VS. Regular T.C. Shocks (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/804389-big-bore-t-c-shocks-vs-regular-t-c-shocks.html)

thecaptain 04-01-2014 08:03 PM

Big Bore T.C. shocks VS. Regular T.C. Shocks

Hello all I am wondering what major differences between Big Bore T.C. shocks would be vs the standard shocks. What would I expect to feel on the track, and such?

NEED-MORE-SPEED 04-01-2014 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by thecaptain (Post 13150579)
Hello all I am wondering what major differences between Big Bore T.C. shocks would be vs the standard shocks. What would I expect to feel on the track, and such?

The only thing I think you would notice is you'll have more "dampening" on the standard shocks vs. the Big Bores. But I think you'll have to drive the wheels off both style of shocks to really see or notice the difference.

Some of the top manufactures haven't even converted to the Big Bores. So I don't think there is much benefit with the Big Bores other than a lower CG.

Team Durango done excessive testing for months with both style shocks prior to releasing there kit and released there kit with standard shock styles. I know AE still uses standard, Tamiya still uses them and I think Volkner still uses the standard shocks on his 14BD7

Comes down to more dampening I believe

thecaptain 04-01-2014 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by NEED-MORE-SPEED (Post 13150609)
The only thing I think you would notice is you'll have more "dampening" on the standard shocks vs. the Big Bores. But I think you'll have to drive the wheels off both style of shocks to really see or notice the difference.

Some of the top manufactures haven't even converted to the Big Bores. So I don't think there is much benefit with the Big Bores other than a lower CG.

Team Durango done excessive testing for months with both style shocks prior to releasing there kit and released there kit with standard shock styles. I know AE still uses standard, Tamiya still uses them and I think Volkner still uses the standard shocks on his 14BD7

Comes down to more dampening I believe

Interesting, I bet with the big bore shocks theres more of a tuning window to get the correct shock package.

JoeyE 04-01-2014 09:14 PM

I would imagine it would benefit parking lot bumpy tracks. Just like off-road big bore shocks.

ThePanda 04-01-2014 09:30 PM

If they include them on all the kits...how are they supposed to make money in upgrades? :lol:

mschumi101 04-01-2014 09:58 PM

I thought they only use bigger bores when running short shocks to get the same fluid displacement. I haven't seen a large bore long shock yet. Correct me if I'm wrong

NEED-MORE-SPEED 04-01-2014 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by thecaptain (Post 13150626)
Interesting, I bet with the big bore shocks theres more of a tuning window to get the correct shock package.

Well Im more of a fan regarding the Big Bore shocks. I did a little digging between the two and the advantages of the standard is you have more dampening.

DesertRat 04-01-2014 10:29 PM

Unless you're dropping your car from shoulder height a few times a race like offroad, standard bore stuff is fine. Big bore would just be a bit more weight way up high in the car.

nissan man 04-01-2014 10:31 PM

a nice artical explaining how dampers work.

http://www.kaztechnologies.com/filea...z_Tech_Tip.pdf

thecaptain 04-02-2014 07:16 AM

That is a very interesting article. I read about halfway through and dont have time to sit down and finish it. Anyways so it sounds like the only difference between the big bore shocks and the regular shocks is more dampening, and a lower cg. Now I have another question regarding shock pitons. Currently I am running 3x1.2mm shock pistons with about32.5 weight front and 27.5 rear (AE oil dont have cst on the top of my head). Anyways if I get a different pistons and drill them out to have say 10 holes 6 on the outside and 4 on the inside and go up to an = pack amount numbers wise anyways. For example if I am running 400 cst front @ 3.6 (1.2x3) then to run 10 holes at .5mm each then I would need to go up to 550 cst to get an = pack. What would be the benefit or running smaller more holes vs larger fewer holes?

Skiddins 04-02-2014 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by thecaptain (Post 13151551)
That is a very interesting article. I read about halfway through and dont have time to sit down and finish it. Anyways so it sounds like the only difference between the big bore shocks and the regular shocks is more dampening, and a lower cg. Now I have another question regarding shock pitons. Currently I am running 3x1.2mm shock pistons with about32.5 weight front and 27.5 rear (AE oil dont have cst on the top of my head). Anyways if I get a different pistons and drill them out to have say 10 holes 6 on the outside and 4 on the inside and go up to an = pack amount numbers wise anyways. For example if I am running 400 cst front @ 3.6 (1.2x3) then to run 10 holes at .5mm each then I would need to go up to 550 cst to get an = pack. What would be the benefit or running smaller more holes vs larger fewer holes?

I believe you would get more high speed damping (over bumps etc) with the smaller holes.
Someone helpfully sent me a link to this chart recently, it's for Xray but should give you some idea;

http://www.petitrc.com/reglages/xray...art2013_05.pdf

thecaptain 04-02-2014 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by Skiddins (Post 13151657)
I believe you would get more high speed damping (over bumps etc) with the smaller holes.
Someone helpfully sent me a link to this chart recently, it's for Xray but should give you some idea;

http://www.petitrc.com/reglages/xray...art2013_05.pdf

Hm that Is interesting, too bad it doesnt go up to more than 4 hole pistons.

thecaptain 04-06-2014 05:23 PM

I have another questions regarding B.B. vs Standard. What is the weight difference between the full assembled shocks, including springs and such.