Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tires/Inserts Touring Cars

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2001, 08:59 PM
Tech Master

Tires/Inserts Touring Cars

Realizing that compounds are directly affected by temperature (track and ambient), is there any guidlines of when to change inserts with the same compound tire? For example: when the temperature is say 95 degrees and you are running sorex 36's and the track changes from low bite to med bite and then to high bite, what is the so called guidlines of changing inserts? I was led to believe that under low bite conditions a person should run a softer insert and as the bite increases you should change to harder inserts. Is there a time in which under high bite conditions that you should change back to the soft inserts? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Old 10-26-2001, 09:20 PM
Administrator

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

i ran sorex 36 last summer.....always with hpi red.....i know a guy who used yok med.....i think that for low bite i would try the yok...for higher bite i would go with hpi red or green....
Old 10-26-2001, 09:31 PM
dtm
Tech Champion

Doug: You are correct in your assumption. Softer inserts will give you more grip (to an extent).... the stock foam inserts that come with your car are no good because the tire 'buckles' (thats why I say to an extent! ) Harder inserts tend to give the car a more 'precise' steering response (At least thats what I feel!)

There is another element in the equation which is the thickness of the insert. Some inserts will fill up all the cavity of the tire and others will leave a space between the tire and insert. Another element is the wheel diameter. Inch-up wheels are slightly larger you will probably need to use the thinner inserts if you don't want your tires to 'bulge'.

In fact the entire subject of inserts, tires and wheels is a bit of a 'black art'. My recommendation is to use the same brand of wheel and insert thickness all the time with different tires and insert hardness. That way it is eaiser to make a comparison!

Alternatively, you can use the same wheel, same insert hardness and profile and just change tires when the conditions change!

My personal favourites are Speedmind wheels, Speedmind hard racing inserts (thin) and Sorex tires! If you ask 10 people you will get 10 different answers for the best combination! Good Luck!
Old 10-26-2001, 09:43 PM
Tech Master

Ok, if a person was racing on concrete, 74-78 degrees, what would your sorex suggestion be? One track being med bite and the other being real high bite. Most people at the high bite track run 33r/yok firm foam insert.?
Old 10-26-2001, 09:52 PM
dtm
Tech Champion

Ok I normally run the HPI 33R when theres is a lot of traction. When the 33R cannot cope anymore I usually switch to Sorex 32R they normally come in when the 33Rs are just starting to struggle!

The temp range of the 33R is wider than the 32R so sometimes if you switch to 32R too soon you will find they overheat towards the latter half of your pack.
Old 10-26-2001, 09:55 PM
dtm
Tech Champion

In reverse, if the the temp is even higher and the 33Rs overheat then I move to Sorex 36Rs. The HPI 33R is a very good 'bridging' tire between the Sorex 36R and 32R!
Old 10-26-2001, 10:01 PM
Tech Master

Which insert would be a good starting point with the 32's? I'm sure the temp will be in the low 70's. Hpi green or red, maybe the yok med mold. Why would anybody use a foam insert anymore?
Old 10-26-2001, 10:11 PM
dtm
Tech Champion

I currently only use Speedmind blue racing inserts (hard) for the Sorex because the tires are quite low profile. These are 'similar to the Yok 037F. HPI inserts are a little thicker.
Old 10-26-2001, 10:13 PM
dtm
Tech Champion

There are Yok 037 and 038. The 038 are thicker than the 037. I'm not sure if they use the same system in the States because everyone just says 'sprints' but the Yok stuff in Hong Kong is in Japanese!!
Old 10-27-2001, 10:38 AM
RCTech Member #2

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally posted by Doug Gaut
Which insert would be a good starting point with the 32's? I'm sure the temp will be in the low 70's. Hpi green or red, maybe the yok med mold. Why would anybody use a foam insert anymore?
I have HPI Red inserts in my Sorex 32's... I was told to try the Yokomo inserts, and i will next summer. I also have a set with Green inserts, and the red's definately stuck to the track better. The Greens get slightly less wear, but its barely noticable difference.
Old 04-10-2014, 05:26 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Inserts

Hi all, I'm using some sweep molded inserts...but I just tried to install the inserts on reversed (inside-out)....have you guys heard or done that?

It seems to fill up the tir more, I'm thinking this way it should leave the tire with a larger contact patch on the ground!!

What do you guys think?
Old 04-10-2014, 08:24 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

Man with all this discussion, I am glad I run spec tire races. Is there a better tire/insert to run than the 2 or 3 go to spec combos? Probably, but I have enough to think about with other set-up stuff than tires and inserts. I also dont have deep enough pockets to get all the different combos to test.

But to those that do have the time and money, go have fun. I am sure I am missing out on another fun segment of the hobby.
Old 04-10-2014, 08:32 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Originally Posted by PapoRacing
Hi all, I'm using some sweep molded inserts...but I just tried to install the inserts on reversed (inside-out)....have you guys heard or done that?

It seems to fill up the tir more, I'm thinking this way it should leave the tire with a larger contact patch on the ground!!

What do you guys think?
Originally Posted by theproffesor
Man with all this discussion, I am glad I run spec tire races. Is there a better tire/insert to run than the 2 or 3 go to spec combos? Probably, but I have enough to think about with other set-up stuff than tires and inserts. I also dont have deep enough pockets to get all the different combos to test.

But to those that do have the time and money, go have fun. I am sure I am missing out on another fun segment of the hobby.
You guys do realize this thread is revived after almost 13 years? Inch up wheels and Yokomo inserts are close to impossible to find now a day.

Last edited by F. Mendoza; 04-10-2014 at 08:44 PM.
Old 04-10-2014, 08:36 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by F. Mendoza
You guy do realize this thread is revived after 13 years.
That's why it's called Black Art .
Old 04-10-2014, 08:45 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by theproffesor

Spec tires are better makes it an even playing field, I have seen even in Mini people coming in with one small bag for the car and gear and then 2 or even 3 large boxes full off tires with a variety of brands and compounds with each one broken down again with a variety off inserts DEEEEP pockets. A normal person just can not compete and in mini out here some guys actually had 6 or more bodies to see which had better aero with the grip factor.

Noel