R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Good Hop-Up's For My TC3? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/80392-good-hop-ups-my-tc3.html)

terryk2003 08-09-2005 04:14 PM

Good Hop-Up's For My TC3?

ok...i'm wanting to know what the best mods are for my TC3?...i havent got to race it yet, but i bought the RTR version a couple years ago...i ran it a couple times then took a break from the hobby for a while...now, i'm back...and there's now a TC4 out :mad: ...so, anywayz, i plan on racing my tc3 this sunday to see how it does but i'm wondering if the motor that comes in the RTR kit is even legal to race?...and what are some good mods to do to my car because i'm a beginner and i'm figuring i'm gonna get smoked my first time out!...i'm also hoping to run on carpet as soon as i find the cleveland area carpet track!...so, any good parts for carpet would be good to know as well...thanx for any & all help...and, FWIW: i did a quick search and didnt come up with anything!

Big Rigg 08-09-2005 04:35 PM

Hopups you should get to race with

stock motor (the 15 turn that comes with the rtr is not race legal, and stock is most likely the class you should start with)

at least 3 packs of GP3300 batts (good runtime/lifetime, pretty cheap now too!)

Graphite chassis with droop settings (the plastic chassis is probably already tweeked just by looking at it...)

version2 A arms (they have an extra hole further out on the arm for the lower shock mount)

bearing set (the strength of the tc3 in stock is it's free drivetrain, bearings are a big part of that)

get a setup from a top guy at your track and copy the whole thing onto your car... don't just put on 1/2 the setup or you'll only get 1/2 way there...)
(BTW: whatever the setup is, it will probably involve putting a rear shock tower onto the front)

To help prevent breaking:
RPM or BRP extra wide front bumper
TC4 dogbones (at least up front)
BRP nerf wings
If you can go graphite on any part, it's stronger than the plastic ones

Hope this helps, good luck!
-T

terryk2003 08-09-2005 04:42 PM

thanx for the quick reply...as for the graphite chassis, i actually bought one @ my LHS last sunday and i'm getting ready to install it before i race! :)

also, i belive the motor that came with the RTR is a 19turn... whats the difference between stock & modified motors and is there a certain STOCK motor that i should get for the best power, or are they all pretty equal?

B3x 08-09-2005 04:47 PM

Hello

If you look in this forum you will find a thread just for the TC3.

If I was you I would not bother sinking a bunch of money in your TC3 before you race it. There is a chance that you can use your current motor if you race with beginners. Check with the organizers.

I would spend my money on tires (the ones that work at your track)and battery packs to start with. (for racing and practice)

See if you like it and if you become good at it start spending ...

I think your TC3 is good enough to be raced the way it is.

Practice....Practice.....Practice and have a blast....

kerry 08-09-2005 05:11 PM

use what you have in the kit, get a stock motor and see for a month, if this is what you want to do and you want to get into it more then the first thing you will want to do is get a new esc. the runner just doesn't cut it. dont pour a whole lot of cash into something you might not use. if you want to get better stuff then check out used stuff great items at a fraction of the cost.

terryk2003 08-09-2005 05:31 PM

thanx for the advice guys...

i will prolly run it a few times and see how i like it first and hopefully i can get it set up to run good and learn more about mods...

another question i forgot...is the LRP Runner ESC legal for racing!?...i'm wondering if i'm gonna have to get a eSC and motor to run!?...i do have a novak rooster esc on my stampede i could prolly use, but thats a reverse eSC as well and i'm not sure if reverse is legal?...

terryk2003 08-09-2005 05:49 PM

another thing i forgot...is there a certain type of battery i'm supposed to be running, or i'm allowed to run? cause right now i have 2 power maxx pro 3000mah Ni-MH packs...am i gonna have to get something different? or build my own battery pack?

ChadCapece 08-09-2005 06:02 PM

Go to this website for some inexpensive batteries:http://rcprofessor.com/ you'll only need the lower end cells for now. As you become a better driver, then the more expensive, higher voltage packs are necessary. They can build batteries for you for $5.00 which is a very reasonable price. For motors: http://www.teamhighvelocity.com/index.html Their Hurricane Pro motor is a very good motor for touring cars. It will work fine and last you a long time (it's also very fast :sneaky: )

kerry 08-09-2005 07:46 PM

the runner esc has a motor limit on it i do believe. spend the money when you are ready and buy one of the top brands it will last a few years